RSS Feed Print
Eating
Iris L.
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2020 3:51 PM

I've learnd that PWDs eat a lot and develop a sweet tooth.  Well, I eat a lot and I have a sweet tooth.  Over the past couple of years I had lost eighty pounds. Now during the lockdown, I have gained back thirty pounds.  My grocery cart includes cookies and ice cream and a couple of frozen pizzas.  (I don't know how they got into my cart.)  I have even eaten fried chicken! 

I had given away all my heavy clothes, now I have only two pairs of jeans I can squeeze into, and some sweatpants.  My regular department store has been closed since March, so I can't buy new clothes.  It doesn't matter, because I have nowhere to go, except to the supermarket once a week.  

I just started back walking, but only for about fifteen minutes.  Every morning I tell myself I'm going to eat better, but I don't.  Losing weight is hard, but I did it before because I was strongly motivated, and I was able to exercise.  Also, now I feel like I'm entitled to eat treats because I am enduring this lockdown.  My outside activities and socialization have all been disrupted onernight!  I feel like eating is the only activity I have left in my life to keep me occupied.

Nevertheless, thirty pounds is too much!  What must I do?  I must make a change!  I can't go on like this!

I have to pull out all my tools that I have used in the past to lose weight and control my eating.  Part of me says I can do it.  Another part of me says why bother?  I don't like feeling conflicted.  Ugh!  

Iris

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2020 4:35 PM

It took me about 5 months to lose 10-12 pounds and I am happy I did it. It was far from easy.  

summerroads
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2020 3:27 AM

Dear Iris, I think the fight begins by only putting good things in your grocery cart. I find the only way I can get myself to eat the good stuff that has any hope of helping my brain is by not having any bad stuff available to me. I just don't have the willpower or discipline, once its in the house, to eat my broccoli if I have cookies available. LOL One plus to losing my license has been that I always order groceries online and have them delivered. If I don't type in cookies, they don't appear on my screen which definitely makes it easier for them to not make it into my "cart." That change to online ordering has actually really helped me in many ways because I was so easily influenced by what I saw-I would end up buying all kinds of things I didn't need or even want. Anyway, each day is a new day with new opportunities for good choices. Take good care of you!! I'm rootin' for you!
zauberflote
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2020 6:29 PM

Iris, Summer may have the answer for you. Do you shop in the store? Or online with curbside pickup or perhaps delivery?

I have done online shopping with Kroger Clicklist, and with Peapod, which seems to shop and deliver for more than one store. Anyway, with both of them, one way to shop is by going to a previously filled cart and just ordering it again. If you are serious about not knowing how all these cookies got into an online cart, it could be that they were already there!

Or if you were making that old in-store-shopping joke of the cookies just leaping into your cart-- well, that is something we all deal with, right?

I'm glad you're walking! Would you be happy walking farther/longer, or is it 100 degrees where you are too?

I wish I knew what to say to motivate you, but I am having the same problem as you, eating sweets which will turn me diabetic if they haven't already. 

Larrytherunner
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 5:54 AM

Hi Iris. My sister in the states has had good luck keeping her weight down by eating one apple and waiting about twenty minutes before eating a meal. The apple contains a small amount of sugar but is released slowly, which means it is a low glycemic food. An apple also contains a lot of fiber. She says she eats less during a meal and doesn't eat as much sweets.

Psychologically I think it is good because she is adding something rather than concentrating too much on restrictions.

By the way, when I first came to Ghana in the 1980's, there were no apples being sold here because Ghana does not have a cold season to required to grow them here. The apples grown in South Africa were not shipped here because they would spoil before getting to West Africa. But now apples are sold everywhere in the cities in Ghana. South Africa is now growing new varieties that keep fresh longer and they taste just as good as the apples I remember in the states.

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 2:36 PM

Good news!  I've managed to lose two pounds!  It's a start.  Summerroads and zauberflote, I don't do online ordering.  I still have to figure that out.  Larry, I actually have an apple trick of my own.  I cut an apple into quarters, then into slices.  Then I eat each slice as if it were a cookie.  I can get 16 -18 slices out of one apple, so that's a pretty nice snack.  I like my slices in the evening, for dessert.  

I figured out that the reason I was so drawn to eating cookies lately was because I have been so fatigued and exhausted after returning from overseas and getting norovirus.  It took me weeks to recover.  Then Covid-19 struck and I was more exhausted with constant wiping down and searching for hand sanitizer.  I also was worried about my relative who was very ill and hospitalized with Covid-19 and worried about my neighbor who was dying.  Also I worried about filing my taxes and renewing my driver's license.  Then George Floyd was killed and I was in solidarity with the BLM protests.  So much had been going on in my life in these past nine months!  Things are calming down now and I finally feel like I am not under so much pressure.  I am still under my usual medically-related pressures, but I think I can handle those.  

Larry, I'm sorry to tell you that I'm pretty sure my overseas traveling days are over.  I won't be able to visit my cousin's family in Ghana and get to meet you.  I'm so sad about this.  It's nice to know you via the message boards.

Iris 

jfkoc
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 6:48 PM

Apple cookies....I am saved!
zauberflote
Posted: Saturday, August 1, 2020 6:54 PM

Iris, CONGRATULATIONS! Two lb is not to be sneezed at! Well done you!

You are so very very right about the stress and exhaustion-- not to mention the norovirus! I have stress-eaten on over 40 lb, twice. Ugh. 

Your apple trick reminds me of a friend who, after cancer/chemo/radiation/being clen, lost 100 lbs on Weight Watchers. Her trick was to peel a ripe pear and roll it in cinnamon. I am not in favor of that as the cinnamon is so very hot (remember Fireballs?!) but a little would be nice on your apple!

And Jfkoc LOLOL!

Larrytherunner
Posted: Sunday, August 9, 2020 11:30 AM

Iris, I can understand why you want avoid overseas travel. I found it very tiring making the 18 hour plus flight here in 2009 (including waits at airports). I used to often ride buses to different cities in Ghana but now I try to avoid long trips because my legs become restless and hurt after sitting for a long time.

I have not been back to the states since 2009. For me the cost of air travel is so high that it is not worth it. Everything in America is so expensive. I told my children in the states that if they want to see me, they are going to have to take their vacation here in Ghana. 

Every bit of extra money we have has been going toward building a house. A person here can not normally get a loan to build a house unless he or she already has property equal to or greater than the loan. So we are doing what others are doing - building a house block by block as we get the money. Maybe in five years we will have a nice house.

I have found the ideal place to rent in the nearby city of Secondi. The house is on a hill overlooking the ocean and the air is so clean and fresh. I liked our house in Takoradi except that the air is often polluted by neighbors cooking with wood or charcoal, burning rubbish and burning their land for planting. In the new house I can jog everyday, breathing clean air. And believe it or not, the new house rents for only 90 dollars a month. Life has been good.

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, August 9, 2020 4:15 PM

Zauberflote, I love cinnamon!

Larry, after all of my trips I have felt exhausted, but recovered after a while.  This last time, after getting Noro virus, I took longer to recover.  Just as I began to feel better, Covid-19 struck with its restrictions and my subsequent weight gain and overwhelming fatigue.  My trips had all been educational trips involving a lot of walking and note-taking.  I cannot tolerate that any more!  Actually, I would love to visit a resort or sail on a cruise ship.  But cruise ships have become petri dishes for disease lately; I can't take the risk.

Your new home sounds very nice, if you are surrounded by clean air and on a hill.  I could never understand why there was so much burnt land when I was in Africa.  Africa has so much potential!  Best wishes on building your new home, Larry!  

Addendum:  Talking about Africa reminded me about something very important!  I spent six weeks in Africa at one time and lost about twenty-five pounds!  The different way I ate in Africa caused me to lose weight.  I called it my Africa diet.  I ate no sweets and no between meal snacks.  I ate chicken, fish and vegetables.  I drank tea and bottled water and an occasional small (7 oz) soft drink. I ate nothing after dinner because the kitchen was shut down.  In other words, I ate the way I ate in my childhood when we ate real cooked-from-scratch home food at mealtimes.  I also spent a lot of time walking.  All of this is what I need to get back to.  Thanks for reminding me, Larry! 

Iris

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2020 6:32 AM

All this talk about Africa makes me want to go back even more. My favorite place to travel to. I hope I can do it again after I am done building this house and wife retires.

Larry what does it cost to have a nice house built for you there? 

Larrytherunner
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 12:50 PM

Michael, I love it here on the coast, but my wife and her extended family are from Sunyani, which is the west central part of the country, so she is building the house there. In Ghana most houses are large and for extended families, so she wants lots of bedrooms, say six or more. We have already bought the land and we are drawing up the plans. I would guess that it will cost about $30,000, which I believe would cost more than $200,000 in a middle-class American neighborhood.

My wife and I have the understanding that we are not going to live there. I don't like the higher level of air pollution at her place compared to the coast. The house is going to be for her relatives (mother, brothers, sisters, children, etc). She can move there when I pass away, which I hope is going to be many years away.

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 2:09 PM

I have some real neat plans if you want but it is more for a place where you have a beautiful view in the back. If interested send me your email privately and will send them to you in a pdf. They are our design so we own them. 

Larrytherunner
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 12:20 PM

Michael, we have plans to build a tradition house common to Africa, which is a courtyard where people can socialize and children can play, surrounded by apartments. Since we can't get a loan to build it all at once, we plan to build two apartments a year and give it out to my wife's family members as we build. At the end of five years, we will have ten apartments. We have the option to make sure that it is built structurely sound enough to add a second story, and after five more years, we will have twenty apartments. That is how many people build here.

I think this type of house is great because family members can help each other. There are not enough jobs to go around, but nearly everyone is envolved in some small money making project, such as trading, farming, sewing, etc. Also for the sick and elderly, there is always someone to help them. They are not isolated from their family like they often are in the states.

jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 12:30 PM

In New Mexico they call it "organic building. Same purpose....adding on for family. I love, absolutely love an interior courtyard. Now that's an ancient idea.