RSS Feed Print
New to this..
S2Me
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2020 8:10 PM

My father was diagnosed in December.  It’s been a roller coaster, and I do not know how to accept this.  He is my hero. The strongest man I’ve known and I’ve watched him become an observer to life. And I realize I’ve not been facing this new life we have, compartmentalizing all my feelings.  Any advice is welcome.
zauberflote
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2020 4:23 PM

S2me, you would get more responses on the busy "Caregiver Forum" section of these boards. 

Acceptance is very hard to come by, and I don't really have anything helpful to say, I'm sorry! 

Unforgiven
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 11:52 AM

How to accept what cannot be changed is a question for the ages, eh?  It is so freaking unfair the way this disease takes our heroes down.  But look at it this way -- even heroes need a rest.  It's your turn to be strong for your father.  His strength is taken up dealing with this disease.

I will second the advice to check out the Caregivers board.  There is a wealth of practical information on there, plus loads of support.  I knew almost nothing about dementia seven years ago when I first arrived here, other than people become forgetful.  There is so much more to it.