RSS Feed Print
Just need to talk to my friends (129)
Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2020 11:44 AM

Morning,

Guess it's time to start a new part of the thread. Can't believe this has gone on for so long - 12 years.   Each time I start a new part of it I feel like I'm starting with an empty cotton sack.  For those of you who live in town need to let you know why I say that. When you pick cotton or pull bolls if your cotton sack has cotton in it, it pulls easier.  When it's empty, it's hard to keep in place until there is some cotton in it.  It's been many years since I've picked cotton or even seen a cotton field but I did my share.  Hard on your fingertips - those tips of the opened bolls are sharp.

It's a beautiful day but it's already warming up - supposed to be in the mid 80s today and it's humid.  It was nice earlier.  I saw the girls up around the mobile home, just coming out of the south pasture.  I was able to see about 20 of them, guess all the others were already in the yard and I couldn't see them.  I did see the three babies.  Looks like they're all beginning to stay together.  That's good when they do that.

I'm so sleepy I can hardly keep my eyes open.  Should go in and take a nap and may do that after the news at noon.  Very quiet here this morning and probably will stay that way.  I got the contract from the company that will hold the money for my final expenses so guess all of that's taken care of - except for the clothing which I'll take care of in due time.  Need to get my sister's settled soon.

Sarah had an appointment with Dr. D. this morning.  She said she'd call when she got there - haven't heard anything.  I called his office but got a recording - was going to see if she kept the appointment.  I told  her last night if Todd didn't make in time to take her to take a cab or something - no idea what she'll do.

I'm keeping Max in the bedroom - he's too interested in Savannah.  Later I'll put her in there and let him out.  Maybe I can do this until it's over so I don't  have to take her to the vet right now.   Need to get up to get Gator gas tomorrow - I keep putting it off.

Hope all of you are well this morning.  Ron, forgot when you said you're going to have your biopsy.  Hope it turns out the elevated PSA didn't mean anything. 

I'll be back later. 

ronald71111
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2020 2:38 PM

Lorita, 1st of October is date for prostate biopsy. Not looking forward to it, but might as well shut them up and get it over with.

Got some good news over the weekend! Our youngest son that lives in Missouri is coming with his family this weekend. He said it would be a quick turn around visit, but will be glad to see them. Last time they came it was Friday evening getting here and left Monday morning. Probably be the same this time!

Decided to hire the sitter for tommorow to take care of some business I should have done a long time ago. Been needing to get prior approval for Lou and I to be buried in the North West Louisiana Veteran Cemetary. All I need is to fill out a form and a copy of my DD214. Lou has never wanted to talk about this so I kept putting it off. 

Ron

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2020 3:01 PM

Ron, it's not something we want to think about  but you'll be glad to get it done.  Oklahoma has one National Cemetery in Fort Gibson about a mile from our family's cemetery.  It's so pretty and peaceful.  My friend, Karen, is in the National Cemetery in Leavenworth, Kansas. Charles and I have a couple of very good friends in our National Cemetery.  When we'd go there we saw the names of so many veterans we had in our hospital.

I'll be thinking of you while you take care of this.  I made arrangements for both my parents and Charles and finally for myself.  It's not too easy.

I know you and Lou will have such a good time this weekend with your son and his family.  Hope the weather is good.

Good luck with getting your errand done tomorrow.

ladyzetta
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2020 7:45 PM

Hi All,

Jo,   I have been thinking about you did your son have to evacuate in Medford? Does he have a place to go? I have a acre here in LaPine if he needs a place to park a trailer.

Lorita,   If I have to evacuate I am not sure where I would go I don't want to get caught in the middle of the fire so I will probably head  for a big parking lot like a Walmart lot. My son and I have already planed who takes what. I will have Molly and Rascal with me. I have Rascals carrier all ready to go. I do overact at times  but that's OK I will be ready.                                    Our air was suppose to clear up some today but the winds changed and we got more smoke. Now they are saying we probably wont clear up till Saturday. 

My eyes and throat are burning from the smoke and it makes me feel tired. I was told to put some vicks under my nose and that will help with the smell so I will try that before I go to bed.

Lorita,  don't feel bad about talking about your girls and your other critters I enjoy hearing about them. Like you the main things in my life are Molly & Rascal. 

My Bipolar niece just moved in with me Sunday. I saved her from one of her many relationships and I drove to Klamath Falls Sunday and brought her home with me. That was a 250 mile round trip. This is the second time I have tried to help her, so wish me luck and say a few prayers for me. She is 51 years old. I hope it works out I do love her and she is a big help to me around the house. 

Hugs to All, Zetta 

Sayra
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2020 5:07 AM

Ron know you are so glad your son and family are visiting.  Hope you guys have a nice weekend.

Zetta mental illness is such a hard thing to deal with.  I have had to deal with it in my family and a few friends have children with mental illness.  When I say children, their children are my age or older.  They dealt with it for years. At least one of them told me I could write a book.

We are suppose to be getting some much cooler weather for a few days starting tomorrow.  Didn’t get  a lot done outside yesterday due to quite a few interruptions.  Hope it doesn’t get too chilly, I’m not a big fan of cold weather.

Lorita
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2020 8:05 AM

Morning,

It's a glorious morning even though it's a bit close (humid and calm winds).  It's supposed to be in the low to mid 80s today.  Right now it's in the low 70s.  I lucked out this morning.  Got up just before 7 (always have to watch Wanted: Dead or Alive) and came into the LR.  Opened the door to let Stormy and Sheena out and saw one of the moms and baby go by - they were beginning to change pastures.  So, I was able to go out to the fence and watch all of them go through.  Saw all three babies - saw everyone except eight of them so walked out so I could see the pasture they were coming from and got to see everyone.  That's always a load off my mind.  I imagine they'll graze some more, then come back to the barn.  Saw Tom and Jerry and fed them.  I got back in the house and saw Sheena heading toward the little swimming pool I keep in the yard for them to have water.  She started drinking and I remembered the water looked black so hurried out and emptied that.  I haven't filled it in ages - so all the rain we've had has filled it.  I'll let it dry out and then fill it this afternoon.

So, that's my morning so far - did feed the inside cats and put Savannah back in the bedroom - away from Max.  Kitt's beside me in my chair.  Barclee's still sleeping.

Still not sure if I'll go get gas this morning or wait until tomorrow (I just don't want to go but will have to).  Late yesterday Stormy and I drove over to see the girls and I was afraid I was going to run out of gas.  The gas gauge shows bars and for a little while there were no bars.  I just hate that you have to be leary of being around people or to touch things.  But, I guess we have to get used to it because it sounds like there's no end to this in the near - or far - future.  Something we'll have to learn to live with. 

Zetta - how far are the fires from you?  Have you heard anything about the area around Bear Creek or Rogue River?  I tried to figure out how far from Medford they are - doesn't look like it's too far.  Harry and David's orchards, about 2700 acres, are in that area and I'm still thinking about the pears for this fall.  Of course, they're not nearly as important as the fact that homes and lives are being lost in these awful fires.  Is there a WM near you?  Good to have plans laid, just in case.

What a nice person you are to take your niece in.  I know she appreciates it.  And, with your niece and son you won't be alone.  Patsy told me last night that she heard the smoke from the fires has reached Europe.  Amazing so I can see how the Big Bang thing must have worked.

Sara - you're one in a million.  Sounds like you've had a lot to deal with in your life and still you're so optimistic and eager to learn new things.  How's your garden doing?  Not sure when you all get your first frost - ours is usually the first week in November so we have a while to go yet. 

I need to make another loaf of bread today.  I've been having a couple of pieces of toast every morning made from the homemade bread.  It's much better than the kind you buy.  If I go to town this morning, or tomorrow, I may buy a loaf to keep in the freezer.  I'd like to have some fresh vegetables but guess I should eat those I have frozen first. 

I'm hungry so I'll stop and make that toast.  Hope everyone has a good Thursday.

Lorita
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2020 11:38 AM

Hi,

Made my trip - didn't like it!  I had decided if there were many cars there I wouldn't go in - just get the gas.  So, there were PUs lined up all across in front of the store - didn't see any people initially but then they came out of the store - laughing, talking, not one mask in sight.  Then, they left.  By the time I got my gas in the cans and the cans into the trunk of the car there was only two guys getting gas (one PU) so I decided I'd go in.  They didn't have any eggs - she said he usually brings them on Wednesday but hasn't in the last couple of weeks.  Guess the hens stopped laying.  They had a couple of gallons of milk - bought one.  Had two loaves of bread - bought one.  They had 12 can packs of pop and actually had one of RC so bought that.  Glad that's over.  No wonder there's more and more of the virus - people around other people without masks and no distancing.  There was the checker in the store and one woman who came in just before I left.  That was enough.  Got the things to the porch and wiped down and will let all of it sit there, except the milk, for a while.

Another complaint - guess it's my day for that.  I order things from WM - love UTZ potato chips.  The last time I ordered they packed the sack in a box with two big containers of CB juice so they broke open and were all over the place.  I called them, they apologized after I told them what happened and said they'd send a replacement.  They did - got it day before yesterday.  Now, get this - they put the sack of potato chips in one of those big flat envelopes.  I had him put it on a box on the porch and wiped it down and opened it this morning.  I had crushed potato chips, of course.  They'll only replace items one time, after that a refund.  Really upsets me.  This has happened so many times - they've replaced things but I hate to have to call every time I get an order.    Okay, enough complaining.  I'll get over it - after all, my mother always told me my little madness didn't amount to anything or she'd say I had my sore thumb out. 

At least I have gas for the Gator.  When I got back to the house I saw two of the little babies at the lot gate, playing around.  So, guess everyone's in the barn and they came out to see what was going on.  Stormy didn't go with me and he was so happy when I got home.  I think both he and Sheena are a bit spoiled.  Ya think!

Talked to Sarah - sounded groggy.  She had told me they were going to do the advantage assessment yesterday but just now told me it's supposed to be today.  So, I don't know - guess it's none of my business. 

Hope all of you are in a better mood than I.  Guess the five mile round trip got me out of sorts.  Can't imagine what it'll be like when I actually go to town.

Back later.

jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2020 11:50 AM

Not my business either but did she see Dr D? How was she going to see Dr D and get the assessment on the same day. Now I am confused.
Sayra
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2020 11:58 AM

Lorita l have had to deal with many different things since I was a child, but through it all God has kept his eye on this little sparrow.  Know I am not alone, many people have suffered far worse things.  Do love to learn new things.  Like to know why too. Lol when I was teaching clinicals the students were telling me about a new theory.  Asked them why are they starting to think this way.  One of the older students laughed and said that’s Sara wanting to know why.  That is how I am, even just in everyday life , like to understand.  Don’t believe something just because I hear it.  Gonna look into, try to find unbiased information and make my own decision.

Our frost date is mid September to mid October.  Looking like mid September this year.  Not tonight but the four night after that they are giving High 30s to low 40s at night.  If it is clear, no wind we may well have frost. Have a lot of green tomatoes but they are not ripening, decreased temps and daylight.  Next year going to try mainly determinate hybrids.  Thinking you will get better overall production.  Indeterminate sounds great but our growing season is short.  Had a determinate plant this year and it has better production over a short period of time.  Will try to find ones with different days to maturity. We shall see.

Lorita
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2020 12:31 PM

Judith, her appt. With Dr. D was at 11 and the phone assessment was to be at 1 p.m.  She said she waa ready to go to the doctor's appt. And T.came in, got a phone call or text and told her to reschedule. She said she did- the 23rd. She had appt. With family practice doctor tomorrow. She said she scheduled a ride with Sooner Ride.  I don't know what's going on. 

Sara, asking questions is the only to learn anything.  I used to drive daddy nuts asking questions but I learned things I was interested in.  

We always tried to grow mostly determinate tomatoes- the others just keep growing.  We made tomato cages out of heavy-gauge wire cattle panels.  Really hard to work with but they were heavy and good.  I think I'll order some 

Delicious seeds and plant a couple next year, also zucchini(have those seeds already)/  People may have to have what they used to call victory gardens again.  Pats y likes to eat canned tomatoes and she says Jack can't find them in the stores. When I order things there are always things out of stock and the prices have gone up a lot.

Got another loaf of bread going.  Adjusted the recipe a bit last time and liked it better- made the best toast.

I bet all those people had stopped to get things to eat and were going to the lake which isn't far.  Like a nice of bees.  I think I've been by myself too long.  Not really- enjoy just being with the animals instead of people- for now.

Lorita
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2020 7:54 AM

Morning,

Chilly morning- no wind. The sun's a huge red ball because of the smoke and it's light is filtered.  I don't smell much smoke but it's here.  Also heard it had gotten as far as Europe.

Girls are way up in the pasture- saw about half of them from the porch.  Haven't been out to feed Tom and Jerry - will soon. Stormy and I may drive up to see the girls in a few minutes.

Glad I got up to the store yesterday so I don't have to do it today.  My left side hurts from twisting to put Barclee on the bed.  Somehow I'm going to have to change the way it's done.

Nothing planned for the day.  Should put up the flag since it's not windy.  Been a while since it was up.

Hoping Sarah will keep her appt.today.

Sara, how cold is it at your home this morning?  Do you still have your tomato plants growing?

I have the front door open and can see the widest part of the pond- just saw a fish jump out of the water.  Charles loved to fish in the pond.  He used a rod and reel but I preferred a cane pole.

The sun is higher now and brighter.  Better go feed the boys before they come and get me.

Zetta, have the fires gotten closer to you?  Haven't heard about them this morning.  What a shame to have lost all those homes ,aninals, people and beautiful trees.  We're killing our planet- our home.  Think of all the animal species man has already exterminated- those wonderful herds of buffalo and so many more.  Now, the virus is getting us.

Sayra
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2020 10:45 AM

Believe our low last night was 48.  The next four nights they are giving 39-40.  Cool this morning here too and quite windy.  Picked all my bell peppers yesterday and working on freezing them.  Have  most of my containers emptied.  Going to leave my parsley and chives, see how long I can keep them going.  Had left one pepper plant, will take it down today or tomorrow if nothing happens.

Have all my tomato plants down but three.  Will work more on that when done eating lunch.  My island is covered with green and slightly ripe tomatoes.  Most of my plants looked really healthy and had blooms and all sizes of tomatoes.  No use to leave them up, days getting to short and nights too cool.  They have been ripening super slowly.  Dread taking down the cucumber vine.  It is such a prickly thing.

Leaving a lot of the flowers with seeds for now for the birds, bees and butterflies.  Do not want to get rid of their food source.  Saw way more bee type creatures this year than the previous two years.  See just a few leaves starting to turn.  Know I had those good parasitic wasps because caught two horn worms with their eggs on them.

Don’t know if the smoke affected us or not.  We did have a few dark dreary days but we have that quite a bit in Ohio.  Or air Quality is very good today They say.

Lorita
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2020 1:32 PM

Sara, you've really had a good and long harvest this summer.  Bet you'll even have more next year.  Until this year I've had a hanging basket of flat leaf parsley.  It makes a pretty basket especially when you put a pretty flower in it.  I didn't have anything this year except an asparagus fern I've had for 30 or 35 years.  

It's very hazy here today.  The sun was bright for a while but not so much now.  I can't imagine how awful it must be near the fires.

Just made one of those chocolate cakes without eggs or butter.  Added a tablespoon of peanut butter.  We'll see how that works.  I put some canned frosting, thin coat, on it while it was hot.  I'm ready for a piece of it.  When I was in the store yesterday I bought a package of Suzy-Qs.  Never had them before- delicious.

Sarah just called. Said R wanted to take her to her appt. Today and was waiting for him.  Her appt. Is in 30 minutes and it's all the across town. Will she make it?

I spent over an hour out in the pasture with Stormy this morning.  Couldn't find one of the girls so we checked all the pastures twice.  I think we finally saw her coming down from the MH. We were up there three times so if she was there she was behind the house, motor home or carport.  They were going into the barn so didn't get to count again.  Will this evening.  The three little girls were licking minerals out of the big tubs this morning- the tubs are almost as tall as they are.  Almost ran into one of them laying in the grass- stopped 5' from her. I'd rather be two or three short than one - can imagine she might be in trouble somewhere.

Sara, just think how good all of those things you raised will taste when it's cold and snowy outside.

I saw a new kind of face shield this morning.  I think it fits around the neck and flips up.  Don't know if that would work well or not. Almost 200,000 deaths- scary stuff.  

jfkoc
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2020 2:33 PM

30 minutes is ample time
Sayra
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2020 4:20 PM

Never saw flat leaf parsley in a hanging pot.  That is the type I raise too.  Had a few extra alyssum and stuck them in the tops of my containers.  They did really well, lot better than those in the ground.  They also cover the dirt and keep the soil from drying out as fast.  If able next year hope to put flowers on top of all of them.

Is that rather chocolate cake from Jenny Can Cook?  Let me know how that worked adding the peanut butter.

Didn’t get the other three tomato vines down, actually think there are four.  Did get that big cucumber vine down so that makes me happy.  

Keep having to remind myself that it is Friday.  Seems like the weeks are going so fast, especially when I have to grocery shop.  Only going every two weeks for most part but sometimes make an extra trip for mom or Jean.

Take care everybody

Lorita
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2020 5:36 PM

Hi,

Sheena wanted to go with Stormy and I this morning but I knew I'd be in a lot of weeds so didn't let her - so, I took both of them to the mailbox.  Stormy rides down and Sheena walks, then both of them walk back.  They're tired, panting some but are outside drinking water.  The exercise is good for them. I'll do this every day or so since the weather is cooler.

Judith, I always like to be a little early for appointments.  When I have one in our little town - 10 miles away, I always leave 30-40 minutes ahead of the appointment.  I guess I got this from Charles - he was always early for appointments. Haven't heard anything from her yet.

Sara - it is a Jenny Can Cook recipe.  I don't have an idea how many of them I've made.  You can have a one-layer cake in 35-40 minutes including preparation.  Only nine ingredients.  The peanut butter was good - I could taste it a little bit - just a hint.  Might put a bit more next time.  Thought about chocolate chips but the cake itself is chocolately enough.  I did put a fairly think layer of frosting on top.  It makes a 9" one layer cake about 2-2 1/2" thick.  I've never made a vanilla one but did use this recipe to make vanilla cupcakes.  Baked them in the microwave - think they'd be better baked in the oven.  The chocolate ones are really good from the microwave.

I love alyssum and it would make a pretty, delicate flower to put in containers with vegetables.  Could you cover your tomato plants with plastic during the night and uncover them when it's warmer during the day?  Do you like fried green tomatoes?  Haven't had those in a long time.

Are people still wearing masks and face shields in your town?  I saw a map today of the States - Monday Oklahoma was green - today it's orange - 50% increase in cases.  I think it was green, maybe yellow Monday.

Watching the world news and they're showing all the hurricanes out in the Atlantic.  Looks like the one in the Gulf may hit the USA - not sure about the others.  Really an active year for hurricanes.

Enjoy the beautiful weather.  Sara, sounds like it's going to be cold in your area - it was chilly here this morning - made me think of fall.

My knee has felt better today - wore the sleeve most of the time but I think on the way back to the house I say at an angle which bent my knee and now it hurts.  Any little thing, my goodness.

Lorita
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2020 6:58 PM

She didn't keep her appointment- said she was vomiting.  Says she has appointments with Dr. D and get PCP in the 23rd.  Says she doesn't care- wants to die.  What do you do- nothing you can do.
jfkoc
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2020 7:22 PM

I am so sorry. I know you would do anything for her. How about the assessment call? I hope that did not fall through too.

Just heard about Justice Ginsberg. What a great woman. A big loss for our country.

Lorita
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2020 7:52 PM

Thanks, Judith.  We didn't talk about that- she was crying so told her we'd talk tomorrow.  Monday I'll call Kayla, the woman I previously talked with and see if she knows what's going on.

Todd called. He's stressed out but they're getting ready to hopefully hire someone to do paperwork and oversee some work progress so he'll have more time to spend with Sarah.  He called last night and the difference in his voice and outlook was very apparent.  Maybe he'll be able to get her to appointments.

Just heard about Judge Ginsburg- big loss for the Country.  She was so tiny but didn't look 87, closeup.  Wonder about her replacement.

Are you going to over winter your Caladiums  again this year?  

How are your grandsons?

ladyzetta
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2020 9:16 PM

Hello All

Lorita,    I am pretty far from the fires I think the closest one is 100 miles away. We are getting tons of smoke. We are being rated as being in a danger zone area and being told to stay in. I have been doing that. We got a little rain today it helped a little bit but tomorrow we will probably see all the smoke again.  You asked how far I was from a WM parking lot if I choose to shelter there I am about 25 miles from WM. I am not sure where I would go if I had to evacuate but I guess it would be someplace  away from fires.     I too am always early to every place I go I would hate to be late. I also get upset if I have to wait on  someone who is late.

It is real sad that Justice Ginsberg passed away, she has been in and out of the hospital so many times I  am surprised she .lived as long as she did. Bless her heart she was a strong lady.

We have been getting down to freezing at night here. My son had the sprinklers set to come on a 6am to run for a few hours and I have been seeing ice cycles hanging off the trees. So we need to turn the sprinklers off or have them come on later in the morning.

Take Care All and have a good night. Hugs Zetta 

Lorita
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2020 10:27 PM

The news just said there were over  1400 new cases of the virus in Okla. today  There's a women 's correctional center about 25 miles from here and they had two deaths from the virus - not the first and have over 70 cases inhouse.  It's only about five miles from Muskogee- pretty close for comfort.

Our weatherman just said northern Okla.in places m a y  get down to upper 40s at night this weekend.  Too early for that.

I always think I get to an appt.early I might get in and out earlier.  Also hate to b e late.

Zetta, hope you don't have to evacuate. That would be so scary.   But, be safe and do it if necessary. A hundred miles is a good distance but it would scare me.  Hopefully you will.get more rain.

it's been very hazy here today, especially early and late.  Seemed like the sunshine wasn't nearly as bright.  Looks.like Corpus Christi and Houston may get the next hurricane.  Hurricanes, fires, floods, election, allergy alert- enough already.  The KC Chiefs had a football game this past weekend and a fan tested positive so anyone who was near him has to.be isolated.  Dangerous stuff.

I saw the most beautiful big plants of goldenrod this afternoon on our way back from the mailbox.  Would have picked a bouquet but it was across a barbed wire fence.  I used to always stop along the roads and pick bouquets of wildflowers to take to the office.  There's beautiful Queen Anne's lace everywhere in the pastures along with Snow on the Mountain.  The wild asters are beginning to bloom and so is the honeysuckle and passion flowers.  Pretty time of year for wild flowers.

Only had one piece of that cake but I was tempted.Really good.  You all should try it if you like chocolate cake.

Time for sleep. Great British Baking Show at 5 am tomorrow.  Sleep tight.

BethL
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2020 7:55 AM

I hadn't heard of Jenny Can Cook. Thanks for mentioning it. I googled her chocolate cake. It says to "always aerate" the flour before using. Do you do this? I don't have a sifter and never have used that. I followed the link to her 2 minute frosting; that is the same icing I use for my Texas sheet cake. It is absolutely delicious.

I think I will be liking Jenny's website! Thanks!

Lorita
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2020 8:35 AM

Beth, I couldn't find my sifter so I stirred the flour, then spooned it into the measuring cup.  I kept finding flour lumps in the cake so found a wire strainer and started using it- no more lum ps.  If you don't have one of those try stirring it with a wire whisk. Make sure you stir the batter well.

You'll love the cake- at least I do. I make mine in a cake pan, frost it or not, and leave it in the pan.

good luck.  Let us know how you like it.  I'm tempted to try Jenny's bre ad, too.

Lorita
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2020 10:11 AM

Hi,

Another beautiful morning.  Doesn't seem as hazy but was foggy earlier.  I couldn't see all the girls so Stormy and I drove over.  The three little girls were laying down together- couldn't see them at all from the house.  Stanley was laying down with two girls.  He's really doing his job.

Nothing planned for today except the usual.  Guess I could mop-not my favorite thing.

Hope all of you are well this morning and the fires are not closer. Maybe the smoke won't be so bad today.  I haven't seen any news or weather so don't know what's going on.  Maybe that's for the best.

Enjoy the day.

storycrafter`
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2020 12:16 PM

Hi Lorita, and all. It's been a long while, but I still come to read. Thank you for writing about your lives here. I find it comforting to come and read although I no longer post much in any of the forums like I did, a while ago now. I can't tell you how much I enjoy reading your notes; but I surely do.

Brief reminder - I'm a main cg for my 95 y.o. father (Alzheimer's) who lives an hour away just outside Denver. Live with my husband of 41 years, who was diagnosed finally in 2015 with FTD (fronto temporal dementia); he's on a long plateau of relative independence and high function; our lives drastically changed because of the disease.

I'm looking out the 2nd-story window of what I call "my writing room." The ponderosa pines stand calm in a light breeze. The sunshine muted by smoke from the western fires, gives the reddish bark of the trees an orange tinge. The pines are definitely into fall dress here after the freakish one-night arctic plunge from 85 F to 25 F last week; back into the 80's now. The green boughs now have their autumn petticoat of brown needles, ready to shed them in the next big wind. I can see blue sky through the treetops, not a cloud in the sky, but it's a pale milky blue rather than the brilliant azure it usually is at our 7300 ft.

The isolation of this pandemic has added complications and heartache to my father's caregiving and taken away my usual coping mechanism of getting out of the house for some space and meetings with friends. It hasn't changed Steve's life much because he was already very self-isolated. Coming here to read is like a mini vacation for me.

Thanks again for your faithful writing that gives so much to others you don't even know. Blessings... Helen

Sayra
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2020 4:22 PM

Helen and Beth nice having you on the porch with us today.  

Lurked here a long time before I joined in Helen.  Didn’t realize that they enjoyed getting new people, now I know.  Thought maybe I would be intruding.  

Understand what you are saying.  My mom is 84, refuses anything medical.  Therefore has no diagnosis but I realize that her frontal lobe could be the issue.  She is able to live independently fairly well but oh has whatever is wrong changed things for our family too.

Glad you have a lot of pretty wild flowers Lorita.  had a pretty wild aster behind my fence last year but they must have done away with it when they redid fence last fall.  Only have goldenrod this year.  Didn’t realize that Passion flower was a wild flower too.  Think Queen Anne’s Lace is pretty too.  Like the dark spot in the center.  

Got quite a bit more cleaned up today.  My nephew came over for lunch today.  He was very respectful , wore his mask and we stayed apart.  He is sort of a picky eater but he seemed to like lunch ok except for the cold slaw.  Fixed meatloaf patties, corn, beans and Mac &Cheese.  He brought his guitar and played a little music. 

Told him surely hope I can hug him in 2022.  So today did what I always did when Dropped them off at home.  As I was leaving would point to my eye, hug myself and then point at them.  They would do it back.  He did it back.  Guess that will be our only hug for awhile but it still felt good.

Take care everyone

Lorita
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2020 5:55 PM

Hi,

It's been a most beautiful day.  I do wish we could have two or three months of this weather.  I haven't done much of anything today.  Finally opened the last two boxes from Chewy.  Took one 40 lb. Sack of cat food out to the car and put it in the trunk.  Easier to have it out there when I feed Tom and Jerry.  Now to break down the boxes for trash Monday.

Helen, so glad you decided to post.  We always love to have more people post.  Nice to know what others are doing.  I love your descriptive paragraph of what you see when you look out of your writing room window.  It sounds so serene and beautiful.  I love nature and what it does to help me relax.

We have a squirrel that I occasionally see in the huge, old elm outside our kitchen window.  We don't often see them.  We have a black walnut tree in the yard so he must eat those.  I see lots of half shells.  I don't think Stormy or Sheena has seen him.

This pandemic has changed things so much for many of us, probably mainly for people who live in cities.  Things in the country are about the same except for getting into town much.  That suits me just fine.  This winter after I start feeding I will have to go every couple of weeks to buy feed - not looking forward to it either.

You said you miss getting out in nature.  Hopefully you'll be able to do more of that. We are in the middle of nature but still while I was caregiving getting out with the girls and sitting on my tree limb helped me so much when I'd get stressed- still does but the tree limb is gone.  I have another tree in it's place but no low-hanging limb.

How is your dad and husband doing?  My sister has al z and has declined so much since her falls and surgeries.  It's a terrible thing to have happen.

Sara, have you ever made Jenny's cinnamon rolls?  They look delicious. The recipe says to beat on high for three minutes.  she used a stand mixer. I only have a hand mixer so don't know if that would work.  I may try them anyway.

Glad you had a visit from your nephew.  What a cute way to acknowledge a given hug for someone.

Sarah and Todd would like to come but I tell them it would be.better when this virus slows down.  He's out among people all the time so that worries me.   

Saw the girls and babies come out of the barn to graze a while ago.  I could set my clock by when they do things- certainly on a schedule.  Guess one of them keeps everyone on a schedule.  Being with and among them relaxes me- Stormy like it, too.I

Guess I'll stop and find something for supper.    Hope you all have a good evening.  Beth, did you make the cake?  I had another piece a couple of hours ago.  Haven't tried the frosting.

Sleep well!

ladyzetta
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2020 7:05 PM

Hi All,

Sara,   That is a very pretty picture of you. Did you just add that or am I crazy and it was there before?   

Helen,  As Sara said it is nice having you visiting with us on the porch. I remember at times visiting with you on the other boards. This is a good place to be everyone here is so sweet and comforting and we share a lot. I hope to see more of you here. 

Lorita,  I hope you are resting up and taking care of your knee. Are your days still warm enough that you can go out on your porch and see all the girls?

We finally got some rain, not much but enough to clear some of the smoke away. Right now the skies are blue with a few clouds and I don't think there is much smoke out there. I even have my front door open to let some fresh air in. 

Take care all I am sending you wishes for a restful evening/night.  Hugs Zetta       

Lorita
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2020 7:22 PM

Zetta, I think Sara just added her picture.  It seems like I've seen it before but that's just me.  

Sara, it is a cute picture- you look so happy with your fish.

I've rested as much as I could today and have worn my sleeves all day except a few times when I was sitting.

Yes, it's still plenty warm to sit on the porch but the holly is so tall I can only see the girls from the steps or the end of the porch.  I've had the front door open partway all day but not the storm door.

Glad the smoke is better today.  I haven't heard anything about the fires today or the storm either.

Watching Dr. Pol now but think I've seen it.  Just put in a load of clothes to wash.  Lost my bold print.

See you all tomorrow.

Sayra
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2020 8:36 PM

Just added the picture.  Cobalt on another thread was asking how to do it..  Tried it just to see if I could do it and it worked.  

Have never made cinnamon rolls.  Guess I always felt like it would be a lot of work.  Kind of like to cook simple things.

You have seen the picture, I posted it once so you would know who you were talking to.

Glad you got a little rain Zetta and saw a little blue sky.  The sky can be so beautiful.

Hope you get a good nights rest too Zetta.

Lorita
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2020 11:47 AM

Morning,

It was flat-out cold this morning - I think it was way down in the 50s.  It's almost noon and just 69 now.  When I went out I came back in and got a light-weight denim jacket - felt good (still have it on).  Normally at this time of day the girls would have been in the barn for three or four hours.  They're laying down in the grass on the other side of the pond - really enjoying the cool weather.  I didn't drive up to see them this morning but I think I've seen everyone.  I saw the three little girls with one cow coming out of the south pasture and then saw the three of them, by themselves, walking up toward the MH where the other girls were.  Can't see them now because they're laying down.  I knew the three would get together and they'll be best friends from now on.  Someone asked me a while back, may have been Patsy, if the cows know their calves when they're grown.  They do.  Just yesterday I saw Sweet Pea giving Billy the Bull a bath.  He was her baby a couple of years ago.  She still watches after him (remember he only has vision in one eye) and waits for him when they change pastures to make sure he makes it.  By the way, Stanley has a new girlfriend this morning.

I just watched a really good hour-long show about Madagascar and the unique animals they have.  Very interesting.  One or two of Patsy's brothers, my cousins, worked in Madagascar on oil rigs years ago.  I wonder if they were able to do any sightseeing while they were there.  Such a shame that the animal's habitats are being destroyed to make room for agriculture.  So many species have already become extinct because of it.

Haven't talked to anyone this morning.  Called Sarah - no answer.  Last evening she called and said she was in so much pain she wanted to kill herself.  I told her to call an ambulance and go to the hospital - said she would but I doubt she did.  If she'd just kept her appointments last week she would have pain meds - says she's out of them.

Broke down the three big boxes on the front porch to take down to the trash pickup tomorrow - if I do and probably will.  It's time to order again - will need cat litter in a few days.   Nothing else going on.  Thought I might make some more bread but think I'll wait until tomorrow.  I wish our bread maker made a bigger loaf - only two cups of flour but if I make just dough I can use three cups.  Maybe that's what I should do and form the loaf in a pan.  Might try that when I feel energetic.

Sara - that's the way I feel.  I love cinnamon rolls but I've gotten used to putting in the ingredients and being rewarded with a baked loaf.  The older I get the less I want to have to do.

I think I mentioned Directv has contacted me a few times to let me know my TV in the bedroom is going to lose local channels the 29th if I don't have the equipment replaced.  I don't feel safe having someone come into the house, especially into the bedroom, because of the virus.  I understand I'll still get all the other channels so I'm thinking I won't have it done and if I want to watch local channels I can do that in the LR.  What a shame that we don't feel safe doing the necessary things.  Same thing with the floor in the utility room.  If things had been different I'd have had a new floor way before now - just hoping I don't fall through before things get to the point I can have it done.

I've written enough.  Hope all of you are all right this morning and are enjoying the cooler weather.  I did hear the fires were a little better - hope that's true.  Also saw that Beta still hasn't made landfall but there's already a lot of rain from it.  I'll be back later, probably.

ladyzetta
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2020 12:18 PM

Good Morning All,

Lorita,  It is cold here also it was 32 when I got up right now it is 42. We still got some smoke but not as bad as it has been. I have not heard anything on the news today about the fires in Oregon. 

My niece who is bipolar  has been with me for a week now is trying real hard to be welcome here I keep telling her I don't need someone waiting on me. I really hope this works out and she does not get in one of her moods and just takes off . Molly loves her here because she gets a lot more attention but as for Rascal he's OK with her here as long as she don't go in my bedroom. My bedroom and bathroom are where his cat box his food his chair and his blanket are. I was real surprised to see how he reacted to her coming in the bedroom. He jumped on her and hisses at her when she trys to come into his area. He is 9 years old and has lived here all his life and she is a stranger to him. She was using my bathroom because it is large it has a tub and a shower and 2 sinks but she had to move all her stuff out of there and move into my sons bathroom and that is pretty small. I think its funny.        Maybe he will accept this later.

I am now watching The Hoarders that will keep me busy for another hour.

I Hope you all have a restful day. Hugs Zetta     

Rescue mom
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2020 1:58 PM

I am sooo envious of all you in cooler/cold temperatures. I grew up right on the SC and NC state line, and by now it was at least chilly at night and jackets needed. Now, in FL, it’s still in low 90s, 70s at night, and 70 percent humidity....just like July and August. 

Lorita, I used to dream of going to Madagascar. I was talking with some tour companies to make that our next “big” trip, when DH Alzheimer’s got bad. Now, I could get him settled and go myself with a group, except covid. I’m thinking I will never get there, be unable myself by the time covid goes. But it’s supposed to be truly unique, on a world-wide level.

I am so sorry to hear about Sarah. Doctors here are really really strict (it’s the law, not all on the docs) about making you keep appointments. If you don’t show up in person, they won’t give you pain meds. It’s terrible for people with transport problems. 

Today’s New York Times magazine has a big story about the fires, hurricanes, and other climate devastation, looking into the future and where people will be able to live. Pretty scary, for future generations. And now RBG and the Supreme Court.....excuse me, there’s just too much.

I had a dental emergency Thurs and Friday, ended up in 3 doctor offices...root canal no, was an extraction.  The procedure itself was quick and easy but Now It hurts like the devil...They said I could get pain pills if needed, but nobody mentioned the weekend and no docs available. They can’t see me, so can’t get relief. but all the offices were extraordinary in the cleaning, shielding, cover-ups, etc etc. to protect patients and themselves. The medical people don’t want it, either, and they’re exposed all day every day. 

There is too much going on.

Lady zeta, I don’t know how you deal with everything you are doing, but it’s an inspiration.

ladyzetta
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2020 2:17 PM

Dear Rescue,

Thanks for the comment but I really don't have to deal with that much. I am a widow my son lives with me and my little dog and big cat he is a real big help. My niece she is 51 has had problems all her life she goes from place to place and sometimes has to do things for a bed to sleep in. The whole family takes her in and she gets tired of the rules and she goes to the closest bar and disappears for a few months. The closest bar from me is 10 miles. I took her in 8 years ago and swore I would never do it again. So here I am doing it again and really hoping it works this time. She is a real big help to me.     Did you just not have some hurricanes? 

Take Care. Hugs Zetta 

Lorita
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2020 2:33 PM

Hi Recue Mom,

Wouldn't that be a wonderful trip?  I try to watch all the nature shows so I can at least see some of the places I'll never be able to visit.  It's so sad to see what's happening all over the world.  We're absolutely killing our planet - our home, and if something isn't done where will we be able to live?  I forget how many different kinds of lemurs they have - amazing.  There's one kind that almost became extinct and they're bringing it back - this group had 72 babies this year.  The whole group of that kind numbers around 500.

I'm still cold and it's mid afternoon.  Still have that jacket on.  We have propane and the pilot light on our stove was burning yellow instead of blue when I last used it.  That means it isn't getting enough air.  I have a can of canned air that I  might be able to use to clear out the valve - I tried with a straw and it didn't work.  If not, I'll call the chimney sweep who has come out a couple of times and see what he says.  Still don't want anyone in the house.  I did use it a couple of weeks with it that way and it probably would be all right - just want to be sure.  Your weather sounds like ours in the summer.  It never gets too cool here at night - if it gets down to 70 we think we need a blanket.  I haven't even turned on the fans this morning - the AC in the utility room comes on for a few seconds and goes off - really is nice - but I'm not looking forward to winter. The way the weather is now we could have blizzards.

Glad you got your extraction but sorry it's hurting.  I used to have a lot of dental problems, even a dry socket once.  I always tried to take pain meds before the pain got very bad and also used ice packs.  My cousin's husband had to have an extraction after the pandemic began and he said the same as you - how careful they were about making sure there wasn't much exposure.

I worry about Sarah not keeping her appointments.  You said the same thing I tell her - that they'll stop giving her appointments.  She has to go to a pain doctor to get pain medications and I don't think she even has an appointment with him.  I haven't been able to get in touch with her today.

I just got a call we never want to get - not the one that someone has passed away - but this one was from the hospice nurse who sees my sister.  She said my sister has stopped eating and won't take her medications.  She does still respond to some extent - not  much.  She thinks she is beginning the transition - not hours but probably a few days.  The RN told me last week she sits in her WC slumped over.  The hospice nurse says they've changed from a WC to one that reclines so she won't fall out.

She's the only sibling I have and it just breaks my heart to know that's happening.  I lived through losing my parents within 13 months of each other, then lost both nieces and Charles 5 1/2 years ago.  Almost too much to handle.  She did say Sarah would be able to come in when they move Lorita to the end of the hall so they can see her for a bit. 

Judith, I've talked with Sarah about making final arrangements for Lorita but she hasn't done it so tomorrow I will do it.  Thank you again for the information - that is the funeral home we'll use.  I think this needs to be done so the MCC will know what to do.  After I talk with them I'll let the MCC personnel and hospice nurse know.

Zetta,  I'm glad things are working out with your niece being with you.  Nice that Molly likes her.  The bedroom belongs to Rascal and you and he doesn't want anyone else in there.  I think that's cute, too.  

I occasionally watch the Hoarders program but we don't get it on Sundays.  I've been watching In The Kitchen With David on QVC.  So far I haven't ordered anything.  I did order a pair of diamonique drop earrings this past week.  I've had a pair since 2016 and wore them every day and night.  Somehow early this spring I lost one and I needed another pair.  They have the lever backs and are so comfortable.  I've been wearing different ones the last couple of days and my ears are kind of sore.  Guess the older we get the more we don't and can't tolerate change.

I'll stop - just had to let you all know what's happening with my sister - I know you all understand so that will help me.  Thank you all for being here.   I need to call Patsy and let her know.