RSS Feed Print
Just need to talk to my friends (129)
Jo C.
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 5:43 PM

Dear Lorita ("D"),  I have been thinking of you and am sending more warm thoughts your way.   I am glad you were able to finally reach Sarah and Todd; it must have been a relief to finally get through.

I just wrote a long Post to all of you, BUT "it" erased it.  Wrote it again and not only did it once again disappear, I got completely tossed off the Board in the process and had to sign in again.  I give up.

Please take good care of you and try to get some good rest Lorita; it has been quite a time and you are a deeply caring person. 

J.

Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 7:55 PM

Hi,

Jo, I've lost a couple of long posts lately, too.  Once you write something and lose it, it's hard to say what you had originally said again.  At least for me.  I've rested some today - haven't done too much - did make the bread and cooked some pasta to have for the next two or three days.  Did drive down to check the girls late this afternoon.  I drove the car to the mailbox and could see them but couldn't get a good count - so, came home and got Stormy and the Gator and went back.  Everyone was there, mostly laying down in the grass enjoying the light rain and cool weather.  As Charles would say - they got a good bath.

Joan - when I used to change out my closets from one season to another it was always a mess.  Odd that you do something to straighten things and have to go through all of that to get to the other side.  Sara's right, you'll be so glad when it's done.  Out here if I clear out something and want to donate it, I have to take it in.  You should see the sunroom.  I took Charles' clothes out of the wardrobe in the bedroom and some out of his closet to I'd have more room -  this was months ago and I had planned to take them down to the Mission but it's never been done.  I guess, out of sight, out of mind.  I don't see them unless I go into that room.

Just be careful lifting - you can pull something before you know it.  I was trying to get pictures of the babies and turned my knees in some odd way and have been paying for it the last couple of weeks.  Are you doing the exercises from Bob and Brad?

It's been chilly here today, too.  I had left the window down a little bit in the car and with the 1.3" of rain it came in the window and got the carseat wet.  I sat on it and my pants were wet so it was really chilly.  It's supposed to be 90 here on Monday, then cool again.   We don't normally get a freeze until November but with the weather being so odd who knows when it might be this year.

When I went to the mailbox I noticed that a big meadow just west of us had been baled - probably yesterday.  I think the tractors and equipment were still in the meadow.  Ours is next but not tomorrow.  I'll be glad to have it baled and short again. 

Sara - my bread maker only makes a loaf about 7" long which equates to about eight slices.  I have two each morning so it doesn't last long.  It's so much better than store-bought bread - can't get over it.  I finally got the recipe modified to the point that I like the texture and taste.  I love bread - the amount we ate varied - sometimes a loaf would last two weeks and another time just a few days.

I have to get the PU running and down to get the batteries checked - I'm afraid I'll have to have both of them replaced - also need to have all the belts and hoses checked and the antifreeze.  I keep putting it off because I just don't want to be around people.  I think, maybe, I can call the guy and just stay in the PU while they check all those things.  I need to check to see when the oil needs to be changed - probably not now because I haven't drive much the last few months.   I know you're glad you got that job done and don't have to worry about it now.

Joan - I need to get to the grocery store for vegetables, too.  Our little convenience store didn't have eggs this time - I still have four or five and I'm not eating many - just baking with them so they'd probably last a while.  I am beginning to crave a baked potato.  Patsy told me today she had a big baked potato for lunch - made me hungry.  I have frozen French fries, steak fries and hash browns so should eat some of them.  I also love steamed cauliflower, carrots and broccoli with a little bit of ranch dressing - or not.  I guess when we don't have something, that's what we want.   I still have to get my flu shot so not sure if I want to do it the same day or not.   I hadn't been going to town very much but I hate that I hesitate to go if I want to. 

Did see today that our death toll has now reached over 200,000.  How awful that is.  We used to go to football games at Arrowhead in KC.  That stadium holds 65-70,000 people so that's at least three stadiums full of people who are gone. 

Sarah and Todd made it to the funeral home this afternoon.  They did see Lorita - Sarah said she was so painfully thin and pale but had dark circles under her eyes.  They're going to do the cremation tomorrow.  So, since she saw her and signed the papers today she won't have to go back - they'll deliver the urn.  Sarah somehow injured one of her molars during the seizure so has to go to the dentist tomorrow along with the appointment with Dr. D. and a couple of other errands.  She'll be worn out by the end of the day.

I'm going to stop before I lose this.  Helen, I reread your paragraph about the view out your window - your description of things reminds me of the way Zane Gray described things.  Before my mother passed away she collected all the books Zane Gray wrote meaning to read them after retirement.  She developed macular degeneration and alz. so never got to read them.  I've read a few and they're so good - should finish them.

Our trees really don't turn pretty colors here - but if you go toward Tahlequah the trees can be beautiful.  We have a couple of maples and I have noticed that they're losing some yellow leaves.  The hackberries and other trees around here may turn some but not always and then, only yellow.  We always wanted to go to the NE in the fall to see the trees but never got it done. 

Okay, going to go.  Hope all of you rest well tonight.  Thanks, again, everyone - your posts helped me so much.

storycrafter`
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 9:43 PM

Lorita, the loss of your sister I cannot imagine. I wish you comfort, peace, and strength as you process it all. I certainly know you have the courage and wisdom needed. Give yourself lots of TLC! I add my condolences and hugs to all those above....
Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 11:32 AM

Morning,

Thank you, Helen, it'll just take time.  Although I haven't been with her the last few years there's still the connection sisters have and it will always be there.

It's another cool morning here.  The fog was drifting in as I watched the girls change pastures.  Didn't want to have to go out in the pastures.  I saw the three little girls coming up with one of the heifers and two other smaller calves.  They're all so cute when they run and play - Sassy's just one of the girls now.

Nothing going on here today.  I do need to do dishes later and, as I always say, a nap sounds good but probably won't happen.

Sarah was going to see the dentist this morning and Dr. D.   Haven't heard anything from her yet. 

Sara - I remember a few weeks ago you said you had ordered some face shields because the one you had wasn't working quite right.  What kind did you order and from what company?  I think I'm going to order a couple to use when I do go into town.  Sounds like we're going to have to take the bull by the horns ourselves in order to protect ourselves.   I'm going to call the Health Dept. today to see what measures they're taking for people to get their flu shots - appointments, walk-ins, etc.  The times Charles and I have gotten our shots there, there were very few people - fewer than at the doctor's offices.

Jo - are you feeling all right after the trouble you had with your flu shot?  Hope so, makes a person kind of leary about taking them.  I'm wondering about the fact that I've heard there are now two kinds of senior flu shots.  Need to find out what the difference is.  After last year and the problem I had with my arm I had almost decided not to get the senior shot - now, I'm reconsidering my decision. 

We got a total of 1.3" of rain yesterday so things are wet this morning.  Hay baling had to be discontinued until it dries a little.  Our hay baling is still a few days off - depending on the weather. 

I'll stop and talk with Patsy.  She had a really bad night, night before last.  She has heart problems (stents were put in, twice) and her heart and left arm were really hurting.  She even considered going to the hospital but because of the virus decided not to go.  She takes Nitro and said they help very little and she has been taking quite a few of them.  Heart trouble runs in that side of our family. Our grandfather and his three sons died from heart attacks.  My mother had an enlarged heart and Patsy's mother died from a heart attack so it really worries her. Her brother has had stents put in and open heart surgery - so it's there.

Okay, with that, I'll stop and finish my hot tea.  Again, hope you are all well.

Sayra
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 12:17 PM

Lorita disliked the second ones I ordered, they were cheap.  Still use the original ones.  Look on mifaceshields.com and see what you think.  They are made in Michigan.   If I order again going to try theirs.  My original ones are very good quality, sturdy and reusable.  To see my original one go on amazon and search MADA face shield.  What I dislike about both of these is they are open at the top.  Guess this helps with fogging.  I have been putting cushion foam in that space, not sure if that is a good idea or not.  Wash the foam with soap and water after each use.  The ones that come with foam attached not sure how you clean that.

Texted a girl I worked with last night because it was her birthday.  Here a sister had died in August.  That is two sisters she has lost in less than a year.  Has one sister left and she is not healthy.  Told her I would adopt her.  She is one of those girls that has had a lot of curves thrown at her From a child but she keeps going in a responsible manner.  Hasn’t used it as a reason to quit or destroy other people’s lives, she has been constructive instead of destructive.  Much easier to have respect for that.  She would tell me about telling her dad she was going to college.  He said sis don’t know how you’re going to do that.  She said I’m going to work too.  That is what she did.  Instead of c/o no one giving her money she said they did help me.  They let me live at home, provided food.  She was very thankful for that.  

telinde
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 5:21 PM

Good afternoon.  I have all the junk out, the two old safes clean, and ready to go for Restore to come take what they want.  I hope they take all of it but I’m sure they won’t.  Even if they take the big furniture, I can manage the rest. 

Lorita, I’m being very careful with my back.  I do the Bob and Brad exercises and also some I learned at PT years ago when my back was a mess.  They sure help, especially with keeping everything moving and out of pain.  I take lots of breaks to rest and stretch, which helps.  I hope your knees feel better.

Sara, I will be so happy when I get rid of all this extra stuff I don’t want or need.  It’s been driving me nuts for years, so now the time has come to get things cleaned out.  I can’t wait to clean the store room and keep it clean.  Whew!!!

Nice day here.  Wish we were getting rain.  Our state is in a drought and we need the moisture.  I got two more tomatoes off my plant.  It’s about done.  Lots of small tomatoes that won’t  have time to grow.  I did enjoy having fresh produce this summer.    Guess it’s about time to find something for dinner.  

Have a good night.  Joan

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 7:44 PM

Hi,

Sara, I looked at that website and on Amazon and WM - everything got to the point they looked the same.  I thought the clear part of the face shield would be stiffer - the ones I saw looked like they weren't too thick.  Also, didn't know you had to assemble them.  I did see a couple that had the foam in them.  Don't know if it would come loose so you could clean it or not.  What do you use to clean the shield itself?  I saw one that was interesting, not on the websites - guess it was in a catalog.  It had a cloth hat that the shield was attached to and could be removed.  Then, another one that looked something like a diving helmet.  Now, I'm thoroughly confused. Do you have room for your glasses under the shield?  I also heard a couple of days ago that people who wear glasses are safer.

I saw a part of a speech the Pres. made yesterday where he was ridiculing Biden for wearing a mask.  Can't imagine why a person would do that when all the doctors and health officials say that's the best way to prevent the spread of the virus.

Sounds like your friend has had a tough time.  Can't imagine losing two sisters.  One was hard enough. 

I talked to Sarah this afternoon about 3 and she said she understood that was the time they were going to do the cremation.  Pretty hard couple of hours for me.  She was getting ready to leave for a dental appointment; wasn't sure if she would have the tooth that was broken during her seizure, extracted or have a root canal and crown.  I suggested the former. 

Judith, she saw Dr. D this morning.  He told her to come back in two weeks so he could decide about the surgery.  He was hoping the swelling of the stoma and hernia would go down some.  He wanted her to see the ostomy nurse to see if they could find a fitting that would work.  She was with him so long she missed her primary care appointment so they called and made another one, I think, for tomorrow.  She's going to have the assessment done tomorrow.  She's having a busy week but is handling it well. 

Sandy, she made it to the bank today and all went well.  That's also a relief.  Lorita would have had enough funds to complete another year of stay.  Nice that she was able to save money all those years that paid for her care.  We never know what's going to happen when we get older.

It's been a kind of dark, cloudy day and cool.  I've been inside most of the day.  We're supposed to have heavy fog in the morning - looks like it'll be all over the eastern and central part of the State.  I won't be able to see the girls so maybe I can sleep in an extra hour.

Joan - my knees have felt better today - probably because I haven't been on them too much - didn't even get into the Gator today and only one trip to the carport to feed Tom and Jerry.  I tried some of Bob and Brad's exercises for the knees - some of them I won't even attempt where the knee is bent so much.  Glad their exercises are helping your back.  You'd think if a certain part of you was hurting you'd need to rest it but they say exercise is the best thing to do.

You are so energetic - getting your basement all cleared out.  I know that must really feel good.  We have a whole storage building, built over the cellar, that's full, almost to the top, with boxes of clothes and other things; a couple of old, old trunks and an old deep freeze filled with boxes of things I packed from the house when we moved down here.  It needs to be cleaned out - and the clothing donated - but I just can't get into the mood - don't know if I could do it or not.  I'm always afraid I'll run into a snake - I know there are spiders galore out there.  There's clothing that were my parents, clothes that were Charles and mine - all sizes of jeans and other things.  I have a couple of really big storage containers where I keep the winter coats.  I used to change out the closets each season and take them out there -  no more, just too much work.  Now I have several boxes in the bedroom.  This year I didn't even change out the clothes - haven't worn hardly any of them anyway.  I think if you haven't worn something in two years it should be donated.  I have things in my closet that date back to way before I retired and that was 25 years ago.  You know, if you keep them long enough they come back in style.  Never have been much of a person to go with new styles - I wear what I like and what's comfortable.

Hope you get some rain, Joan - maybe the cooler weather next will bring rain.  I think I mentioned we had 1.3" here - some places just east and south of us had 2".  I can tell the seasons are beginning to change by the color of the trees - just a different shade of green - and the goldenrod and autumn wildflowers.  I'd love to have two or three mums for the fall but doubt I'll get into town to get them.  I have lots of purple basil that is now going to seed  - it's pretty so there is some color.  Transplanted some wild violets in empty pots on the steps and they're doing well.  I'll move them to some place in the front yard before winter.

Didn't get the dishes done - that will be tomorrow, if then.  Sara - didn't make any bread today but had a couple of slices toasted this morning.  It's so good with peach preserves or boysenberry jam. 

Haven't talked with Patsy today so she must not be feeling well.  Left a message that I'd call tomorrow.  She says Jack hates going into town - earlier in the pandemic he didn't mind at all but now he's scared and doesn't want to be around people.  I think it's time for more people to be scared - maybe they'd wear their masks.  I think Tulsa has mandated mask wearing now and I think I heard the same about Norman, Okla.- or maybe it was Sapulpa.

I've written enough so I'll stop and watch Chris Cuomo and Don Lemon - after Guy's Grocery Games is over.  Hope you all sleep well tonight. 

ronald71111
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2020 6:12 AM

Been rough lately! Past couple of weeks Lou has been a handful and my stress level is feeling it. I'll make it through all of this and somehow find the strength to keep going. 

Son and his family made it in Friday morning and left Sunday morn. They spent the majority of their time at their friends house, but I was happy to have spent any time with them. This was the youngest son that hardly ever calls and Lou kept calling him the oldest sons name. I told him once again he needs to call more often where his mother can hear his voice and get his name in her head. 

Last week I made it out to the north Louisiana veterans cemetery and filled the paperwork for approval and received the confirmation letter yesterday. Now just need to get with funeral home for preparation when mine or Lou's time comes. I dont want any of the boys to have to deal with this. 

Not looking forward to next Thursday for the prostate biopsy, but with psa of a adjusted 10.6, I know it's needed.

I'm 74 today but dont know if I feel like doing anything. Might go out later to Outback or Red Lobster for lunch, just dont know. We took our son and his family out for fish which was the first time we have gone to sit down at a restaurant. 

Ron

BethL
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2020 7:32 AM

Lorita, you asked a few weeks ago about different types of flu vaccines. My friend, who works as an RN in Occupational Health at a hospital, emailed this information to me:

"My recommendation for a flu vaccination this year is the FluBlok vaccine.  It is a quadrivalent formulation offering protection against four different flu viruses, including two Influenza A viruses, and two influenza B viruses.  Flublok provides three times the amount of antigen (the HA protein) than standard flu vaccines.  It has been approved for the best safety for adults over the age of 50, due to any culture confirmed strain (egg protein).  It has been proven to provide 43% better protection.  It is made with recombinant DNA technology, therefore eliminating the need to grow influenza virus in eggs.  In addition, it ensure HA antigen won’t experience adaptations or mutations that could lead to reduced vaccine effectiveness (it can withstand mutations in the four viruses offered in the vaccine).

It is approved for adults 18 years and older.  For further information you can visit Sanofiflu.com.

It is a bit more expensive, however it still may not be a cost to you, depending on your insurance coverage."

"FluBlok is DNA versus egg protein.  Better to fight any mutations.  Plus, no worries about egg allergy or changes on the egg protein while processing into virus." 

BethL
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2020 7:44 AM

We've had such beautiful weather the past two weeks! Lows in the 50s and 60s overnight, up to the high 70s and low 80s and sunny. Only weather "issue" now is our continuing drought. On August 10, we had the derecho (rhymes with "Horatio") come through. We live on a 1/2 acre lot in a suburb in the midwest. We had major damage to 3 large trees on the fencerow we share with a horse pasture, plus a pasture-owner large maple had major damage and lost a huge limb that fell on our side of the fence. I prayed for helpers, and God provided. Neighbors came over and Ron (hub.) used his chain saw to do what he could do, and me and the neighbors moved the branches/brush to the curb for city pick up. The trees, two hackberries and a mulberry, were so large and tall that we couldn't take them down so got a tree service to come in and remove them. They used a bobcat, driving on our lawn and left damage to the grass. Aerated and overseeded, now watering twice a day to try and get the grass back in shape. What a hassle, and what an expense - $4500 for the tree service.

On a positive note, we've enjoyed some bike riding lately. Last ride we went from a state park into a small town and got ice cream, then biked back. Lots of fun. 

Have a good day, everyone!

p.s. By the way, regarding typing a post and losing it: If I write a lengthy post, I do a "copy" on my computer - then, if it is lost, I can "paste" it. I use a Mac and I simply highlight the post I've typed, then click Edit, then select copy.   And paste, if needed.   Beth

Lorita
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2020 7:57 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RON!!!!!

Hope your Day is a good one.  You're just a youngster - oh, to be 74 again. Going out for lunch sounds good or you might even want to pick it up and eat at home.

Glad your son got to visit for a while and see both you and Lou.  He does need to call more often so Lou can remember him but young people don't think about things like that.

How far is the National Cemetery from you?  They're always a beautiful, peaceful place.  I know the one in Fort Gibson is - never seen any other one.  You'll be glad that part of your final expenses is taken care of.  I know I feel better that I've gotten my arrangements made.  What a conversation for your birthday - should delete that but just wanted you to know it is a good feeling to get it taken care of.

It' ultra-foggy here this morning.  The sun is up and brightly shining so it must not be very far up.  I won't be able to see the girls until it lifts.  I did see a couple who weren't far away.

I'm sure you'll be glad to get the biopsy over with and get the results.  Please let us know how it comes out.

Thanks so much, Beth.  That information about the flu shot is helpful.  I plan to call the Health Dept. to see what precautions they're making or if I need to make an appointment to go in for the flu shot.  I won't get it done until mid to late October.  Not sure how long the shot lasts and since I'm not going anywhere now I'll wait and make it last as long as possible.

Just wondering, Jo, which kind of flu shot did you get this year?  Hope your awful reactions to the shot have vanished. 

My knee didn't bother me much at all last night.  It's hurting a little bit now and I haven't even gone out to feed Tom and Jerry.  I did have my feet crossed while I'm writing this - should remember not to do that because it does twist my knee.

I'm glad yesterday's over - this week hasn't been a good one so far.  It does give me some peace knowing that Lorita is no longer confused or in pain.  Never makes the loss much easier though.  I feel sorry for Sarah - having to identify her grandmother and sign the papers plus just being in the hospital and making doctor's appointments.  Don't know what I'd do without her to do those things.  Judith, I'm going to call the MCC today about the painting.

Judith, the news is just reporting that a home near Edmond has exploded and killed one or two people.  Is that near you or did you hear the explosion? 

I watched some of the news shows last night but most of it was about the demonstrations and riots in Louisville that have spilled over to other big cities.  Sandy, I was wondering if there were any demonstrations in your area.  Seems like that's all there is on the news anymore - demonstrations, riots, awful weather, all kinds of dissention.  The whole world is in turmoil of some kind.

Better go and feed the boys before they come after me.  I'm hungry but may have cereal this morning.  Just heard that one young girl was killed in the explosion near Arcadia Lake.  There were four people in the home.

Sayra
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2020 10:52 AM

Happy Birthday Ron.  

Lorita I can wear my glasses under the shield.  Either wipe it down with alcohol or soap and water.

Nice day here

jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2020 2:47 PM

Happy Birthday Ron, you young thing!
Jo C.
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2020 3:04 PM

RON!!!!!   HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU - Whistle, Whistle - HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU - Balloons, Balloons - HAPPY BIHTHDAY DEAR RON - Cake, Ice Cream and more Cake - HAPPY BIRHTDAY TO YOU - Confetti and more Confetti!!  WHEE!  Happy "New Year" to you, dear Ron.

Lorita, yes; I am past the side effects I got from the flu shot.  I had the HD Fluzone; so did my husband, two friends and their husbands, our son and his wife got the regular dose Fluzone - I was the only one with side effects; go figure, but I am one who gets side effects from meds very easily.  I have a whole list of them.  Annoying.  Wonder which of my ancestors gifted me that DNA and left handed too; only me and my youngest son out of all known generations of the family on both sides are left handed.  Whodunnit?

By the way, Sanofi makes both Fluzone and Flublok.  Here is a bit of information I also saw from a journal:

"Quadrivalent vaccines protect against four strains of the flu, and are formulated using two strains of influenza A and two trains of influenza B. These vaccines include Afluria , Fluarix Quadrivalent, Flublok Quadrivalent, Flucelvax , Flulaval Quadrivalent, and Fluzone Quadrivalent.

As far as particular indications, Wirtz said there are some unique differences between the formulas. For example, Flulaval and Fluzone are both recommended in patients older than 6 months of age, and neither is recommended over the other, but Fluzone has two specific formulations-0.25 mL and 0.5 mL for different age ranges, whereas Flulaval only has a standard 0.5 mL dose regardless of age . . .

Flublock is completely egg-free and propagated in insect cells, but Wirtz points out that any flu vaccine can be administered regardless of egg allergy. However, Wirtz said where Flublok stands out is that it may provide better protection for patients aged 50 and above.

“There is no recommendation from the ACIP, (Advisory Committee On Immunization Practices), stating Flublok is preferred in this population,” Wirtz added. “Fluzone High-Dose is the influenza vaccine formulation recommended for adults 65 years and older. It contains four times the antigen of standard dose influenza vaccine. Per ACIP recommendations, any vaccine formulation either standard or high dose is recommended in patients 65 years and older."

Another issue is that of which vaccine is available in one's area.  No eggs used in Flublock, they use insect tissue; Fluzone does grow their vaccine in eggs, so if one has an egg allergy, that is a problem.  HD Fluzone for those who are more, "mature," seems to be the most readily available one.  You can ask your doctor by phone which he/she prefers for you and then check and see what is available for you in your area.

Flublock is a recombinant DNA based vaccine, it can be made fast without special bio-handling and therefore easier to get out in a pandemic; Fluzone needs more time to grow the vaccine and must be strictly biocontained.

In any case; whichever is available, the HD (high dose) vaccine is what is recommended for we who are decidely more; ahem, "mature."  Best to ask one's doctor.

First we are told that we need to get the vaccine asap and there are still specialists highy recommending that; and there are others who say wait until October . . . okay; October is six days away . . . so; it appears we are in the ballpark. 

Going to be wearing masks and staying out of public spaces anyway, so that should help us stay away from the flu too.  Hopefully.  No one best sneeze on my doorstep!  Gosh, even the mail seems virally demonized.   Sigh.  Sure do need a magic wand.  If anyone finds one, please wave it furiously to bring us back to breathing freely once again.

J.

Lorita
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2020 4:43 PM

Hi,

Thanks, Jo, for the information about the flu vaccines.  Last year my doctor only had one kind- not sure which.  I'll call and see which he recommends.  Still going to wait a couple of weeks.

It's been a beautiful day - calm winds and high 70s.  I've been laying on  the divan watching The Waltons.  Had to get up because I knocked over my tea.  Good thing because the girls were out front.  One of the babies came over to the fence and touched my hand.  They're growing and so much fun  to watch.  Stormy will be disappointed when we don't go out to check them.

You know- losing my only sister has been hard.  I think part of it is because after I made the arrangements over the phone I had nothing else to do.  When I lost Charles I had many things to do and then the closure at the service.  With this,I don't have closure.  It's almost like she's still in the MCC- until I really think abut it-then there are the tears. I can only imagine how Sarah and Todd must feel.  He called her grandma and said he'd miss dancing with her at the Christmas party like last year.

Patsy is not at all well.  Says she doesn't sleep at night and naps

during the day.  She's taking many nitro pills but is afraid to go to the hospital because of the virus.

Sorry about the spacing- using my tablet.  Also strange words show up.  

FedEx delivered some things today so boxes are on the porch for three or four days- really makes the GPS curious.  

Ron, did you all go out for your birthday lunch?  Hope you had a good one.  

jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2020 5:03 PM

""Today was a Difficult Day," said Pooh.

There was a pause.

"Do you want to talk about it?" asked Piglet.

"No," said Pooh after a bit. "No, I don't think I do."

"That's okay," said Piglet, and he came and sat beside his friend.

"What are you doing?" asked Pooh.

"Nothing, really," said Piglet. "Only, I know what Difficult Days are like. I quite often don't feel like talking about it on my Difficult Days either."

"But goodness," continued Piglet, "Difficult Days are so much easier when you know you've got someone there for you. And I'll always be here for you, Pooh."

And as Pooh sat there, working through in his head his Difficult Day, while the solid, reliable Piglet sat next to him quietly, swinging his little legs...he thought that his best friend had never been more right."

Lorita
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2020 5:56 PM

Thank you, Judith.  I know you're there if I need to or feel like talking.  It means a lot.  Just hard to talk without crying.  It's harder today for me than Monday- for some reason.  Maybe the reality is just sinking in.

I need my tree limb.  Maybe I should go sit on the pond dam with Stormy- not doing any good in here.

I'll be okay - someday.

Lorita
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2020 8:58 PM

Hi,

Talked with Sarah.  My sister, Lorita is home!  The funeral home delivered the urn this afternoon.  So, she's back in her home she missed while she was away.   Maybe this is our closure.  I hope so.  She'll be there until this virus thing calms down, then we'll take her to be with the rest of the family.

Sarah saw the dentist today.  She has a fractured Mandible. When she had the seizure probably hit her jaw on the headboard or table.  He couldn't do anything about her tooth because of the fracture.  What a week she has had.

Watching Cuomo before I go to bed.  Hope you all have a restful night.

Ron, hope you had a good 74th birthday!

Sayra
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2020 4:52 AM

Someday you will think of Lorita and smile.  You will think I smiled, I didn’t cry..
Lorita
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2020 8:59 AM

You're right, Sara, that time will come.

Very foggy just before I got up, then a bit later it had lifted.  Everything is so wet.  Stormy and I went out to check the girls and the Gator was dripping when we got hone.  I drove around some because I wanted to check Gray Lady- I had her down to calve today - don't think so.  I'd as soon wait until Spring for new babies.  Saw the three little girls laying together.  They are so curious and sweet.  Moms really keep a close eye on me when I'm close to them.

Got to stop - filling a water tank and it's time to turn off the water.  Back later.

Jo C.
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2020 10:19 AM

Dear Lorita, I understand the soul deep sadness and tears at the loss of your beloved sister.    When I lost my dear brother, Michael; it too was a very deep loss.  I am not a crier, but I found myself suddenly in tears when I least expected it; he was my youngest brother and so many, many memories were surfacing as well as realizing the finality of the loss and that I would never hear his voice again.   Even though he did not live near me, we used to spend hours on the phone talking about everything under the sun. 

The loss of your sister is indeed the last intimate connection to your birth family and your childhood and all the years of memories.   That is such a deep loss and I am so sorry.

I send my understanding; it will take a bit of time for the hurt to lessen.  Your tears are a testament to the love you shared with your sister and you honored her with all your care and how you continued to do so by making her final arrangements.

From one sister to another,

J.

Lorita
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2020 11:30 AM

Hi,

Thank you, Jo, your post made me feel better.  Lorita and I are almost ten years apart in age and she married at age 15 so we were only together those five years.  The one thing I remember about those years is that she had long fingernails and I was afraid of them.  After we got older we were grew closer.  Mostly phone calls because we didn't live close together for many of those years.  I'll miss her for sure - she had such a pretty voice - I'll miss hearing it. It will take time to get better.  I know she's no longer having to deal with pain and confusion so that's a comfort.

I just checked with my doctor's office and the county health department about flu vaccines.  Our doctor is only giving one kind for everyone this year.  The health department hasn't received theirs yet but the nurse said she assumed it would be the 65 and over and the other one for younger people.  I asked if an appointment was necessary and she said they'd probably do it like they're doing the Covid testing.  You drive up, park and call them and they come out with the paperwork to complete and give the injection.  That makes me feel better and safer.  I'll get mine in mid October or maybe a bit later.  No plans to go to town except to have PU batteries checked and PU serviced before winter.  Won't need to buy feed until later.

Just had a call from the MCC where my sister was.  They're still looking for the painting - the activities director has been off for a few days.  She said the residents painted the same picture so not sure which is which - they'll figure it out.  She also said they had found what they believe to be her wedding rings.  Sarah had noticed she wasn't wearing them and we were worried about it.  When they cleaned the room the housekeeper found them.  So glad of that.

Hope all of you are well this morning.  My knee's are better since I've been wearing the sleeves and staying off them as much as I can. Did quite a lot of walking this morning and I can tell it especially in my left knee.  Enjoy the beautiful day.

H

Lorita
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2020 8:36 PM

Hi,

Sara, is everything all right with you - haven't seen your post today.  Hope all's okay.

It's been a beautiful day - sunny, warm and windy.  In fact, it was near 100 in the western part of the State.  Supposed to be pretty hot here this weekend, then much cooler Monday.

I haven't done much today - did wash silverware and got the PU started.  It's a diesel and has two batteries and both were down.   I hadn't had it started in quite some time so decided I better get on it.  Put the battery charger on and it took quite some time before it would start.  Instead of letting it set and run to build up the battery thought I'd drive it a little while.  I tried to get Stormy to get in but he'd have no part of it.  I think it may be the fact that each time I've tried to get him to get in, the PU has been running - it's not quiet because it is big and a diesel.  Tomorrow I'm going to see if he'll get in without it running.  A couple of years ago I took him to the vet in the PU so must not have had a problem then.  When we finished I wondered how I'd get him in but I opened the door and he jumped in.  We'll see. 

I drove around the section north of us.  Pretty drive - saw lots of pretty cattle standing and laying in the shade (Darwins) - he has red and black Angus.  Lots of pretty hay baled with a whole lot still on the ground.  I saw a couple of guys around some equipment at Mike's place NW of here.  Looked like they had baled one round and decided it wasn't dried out enough so they'll finish that meadow tomorrow.   Looks like the cool weather we've had has done a number on Darwin's pasture north of here where he has black Angus - it looks brown and very short.  I think he's been feeding all summer and will have to continue.  So, all in all I enjoyed the ride and hope it built the batteries up enough so it'll start tomorrow.  We really live in a pretty part of the State - but I'm prejudiced since I've grown up here.

I'm ashamed of our pastures - too many weeds but there was no way we could have sprayed this spring because it was too wet and muddy.  It's too late now to mow and do any good so guess I'll let it go - $60 an hour is pretty high and can add up quickly.  Next Spring I'm going to have the pastures sprayed. Kind of hard to know when to do it to kill all the weeds because different kinds come up at different times.

I'm sure none of this is interesting to you all but I don't have many people to talk with about it so you all are elected.  Sorry.  These dogs and cats just don't seem to care about such things.

My knees have been better today so things are improving.  Just remembered - I carried an anaplas block to the edge of the carport thinking I'd drive the Gator over and take it out to the hayfeeder for the girls.  I don't want to carry it that far with my knees - I think they weigh about 40 lbs.  I forgot all about it so will have to do that in the morning before they come to the barn.  Will have to get some more of those before long - only have two.  I think the prescription for them will have to be renewed, too.

Watching Cuomo again.  Pretty interesting. 

Sarah's had a rough day - not feeling well and having the urn with her grandmother's remains in it has been hard on her.  I told her to have Todd take it upstairs so it would be out of sight. It's been tough on me and I can only imagine how it must feel with the urn in sight.

I'll stop for tonight and finish watching this show.  May go to bed pretty soon.  I think it's supposed to be foggy again in the morning.   Hope all of you sleep well.

Sayra
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2020 3:58 AM

Sorry Lorita that I didn’t post.  Try to post every day.  Yesterday was a sad day.  The place my nephew works is the only store in town that tries to enforce the states mask mandate.  Even at the other stores most people are wearing the masks.  There are the defiant ones though. Someone shot through the front  of the store 15 times with a long range gun of some type.  It was after hours and no one was there, no cars in the parking lot.  We are assuming it’s due to them enforcing the mask mandate but don’t know for sure.  

Lorita
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2020 8:05 AM

Sara, so sorry that happened.  It's bad but at least no one was there to be injured.  Things are really out of control everywhere it seems.  People are listening to "someone" else and are are not using their own God-given sense.  Hard to know what could be ahead of us.  I guess we just have to stay close to home and in safe places- but that was close to home for you.  Will the store reopen today?

Ours is a rural community and I haven't heard about anything happening but there's always a first time.  Seems like the radical, non-thinking people are looking for some reason to act out.  Just be very careful when you're out and about.  We miss you when you don't post.

It's a pretty morning - going to be rather warm.  There's a big dew.  Didn't put on my boots so my socks are wet.  Fed Tom and Jerry and got that anaplas block in the feeder for the girls.  They're up around the mobile home but will be down to the barn later.  I'll try to see everyone then.  Was able to see about 25 of them so guess the others are either in the yard where I can't see them or over the crest of the little hill-  did see two of the babies.

I had my alarm set so I could watch The GBBS but turned it off and slept until 7- unheard of but it felt good.

Don't know of anything on tap for today.  Guess I should open the rest of the mail that's been on the front porch a couple of days and get the bills ready to mail Monday.  Will really be nice when we don't have to be so careful with mail and everything else-if there will be that time.  Just think one year ago, or less, we had no idea something like this could happen.  We had it good and didn't realize it.  That's what Patsy and I talk  about- we grew up in the 40s and50s when things were wonderful and safe.  Didn't realize how good it was.  But,  we're strong and we'll recover if people will listen to whato our doctors and scientists tell us.

Okay, off my soap box.  Enjoy the last weekend of September.  I love October- I always feel the overwhelming need to go to norhwest Arkansas in October- maybe because Charles and I always did.  The trees in Eureka Springs are gorgeous when they get their Autumn colors and walking in the pine trees couldn't be nicer.

Sandy, so enjoyed our visit last night.  I know you're getting ready for your adventure today - a trip, shopping and Apple picking.  Won't those Apple pies be delicious?  I've never been Apple picking except on our trees.  Did go peach picking soon after Charles and I got married.  He fell out of a tree.  Enjoy the day, dear friend.  Thanks for the call.

Back later.

Jo C.
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2020 10:34 AM

Hello everyone.  You are quite correct Lorita, things do seem so out of control and no one capable at the helm to help steer us past the dangerous shoals these days.

My brother called a couple of weeks ago; we talked about various things and then he said, "What lousy times . . . COVID; hurricanes, fires in mutiple states, floods, tornadoes, dread politics, civil unrest across the country; boy, no one better ask me, "what's next?" 

Next day I called him and yelled . . "EARTHQUAKE!!!!'  That's what's next!"  Really; we did have one about a 4.5.   I was upstairs and I could hear a roar and then the shaking started; the house creaked and the bed shook like crazy.  EEEEEK!!!!

Well; I am ordinarily a brave and stalwart person.  I am afraid of only one thing - you got it, earthquakes!   I am just fine if outside when one happens, but am scared silly if inside. 

It has been quite warm out here; we are in the mid-80's, and next week September is giving it one last shot; we will be in the 90's.  Then comes autumn; well, what passes for autumn in SoCal anyway.  We do not get any leaf change here, and I do miss that having grown up in the U.P. of Michigan which was so beautiful every year; loved the sound of crunching leaves under my feet; they were everywhere.

I have to laugh each time the following happens. We live in a quiet neighborhood.  If there is a police car or ambulance siren in the distance, (does not happen often), the dogs for about a two block radius all begin high pitched howling and then abruptly stop on a dime all at the same time when the siren sound passes.  I enjoy it and call it their, "siren song."  Thankfully we do not have any barking or howling dog issues all day or night; just once awhile when they are singing with the sirens.  Cute.

All the conversation about bread baking; that brings back memories.  My mother used to bake breads alot. All recipes from the U.P. of Michigan immigrants. Swedish Rye Bread that was not savory; it was sweet and such lovely soft bread.  It always seemed to be coming out of the oven when we got home from school and we'd have a warm slice with butter and honey.  She also made awesome Saffron Buns; they never lasted, everyone loved them.   She also baked Swedish cardomom buns; never used ground cardomom powder; we would take the seeds out of the pods and she would crush them; the aroma and flavor was really so good.  I used to help twist the dough to make each bun. No; I do not do that type of baking, but wish I had the recipes.

She also made the best pasties. Also a U.P. recipe.  The iron ore miners used to take them to the mines for their lunches or dinners.  They were already cooked and the miners would warm them with the candles from their helmets.  Actually, my grandfather was killed in a mining accident when he was hit by a huge piece of falling ore.  I was seven at the time.

Laughing one more time.  We sometimes talk about our hair or makeup, etc. here.   I happened to see a newspaper column by, "Heloise."  In it, a reader wrote in to say that, "When applying blush, the rule used to be, smile and apply the blush to the apples of the cheeks.  This works for younger girls, but for senior skin, once you stop smiling, your blush will be down around your mouth, not so pretty."  Made me wonder what age she was.   So; if your chin is blushing, check your makeup!

So sorry to hear about Sarah having a fractured mandible; must be a hairline fracture, but that is bad enough.  She has had to endure so much.  Still finding myself wondering if she would not be better served in a very nice Assisted Living setting or having someone with her 24 hours; but she needs to do what she feels is right for her. I know you worry about her Lorita, so hope things begin to get put into a bit better framework for her if she will permit it.

Flowers are no longer blooming; summer is over.  Autumnal flowers not yet planted, and we are still having so much heat as well as smoke from the ongoing fires.  Lots of greenery in the yard, and the trees seem to be okay, so that is good.  November cannot come fast enough for much cooler weather and perhaps a spot of rain now and then.  However; we are once again supposed to have a dry winter.

Don't forget to register to vote if you have not yet done so; this is an important election and it is best to vote early and get that ballot in or get to the polls.  I have always felt it such an honor to do so and vote in every single election; we are blessed to have a country that has such a system.  Democracy is not to be taken lightly; that is for sure.  Many have given their lives to support it.

Oh; by the way Lorita, doctor's offices and drug store and supermarket pharmacies pretty muc carry only one type of flu vaccine; whatever their admin. ordered.  There will not usually be a choice of one or the other.  Whether your Health Department gives a choice for type of HD Quadravalent Flu Vaccinee or not would be a good question; you can ask them, but most places stock just one as they order far in advance and order a lot of one type for the numbers they expect to be served for their vaccine.

Well; time to get myself going, good weekend wishes to everyone.

J.

jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2020 11:59 AM

JO.....What color is your Enjoy bottle? Where do you find shoes that fit? My Dr only has  the "senior" shot. Should I look around?

Lorita...I have a photo on my phone of Lorita's painting and can certainly meet the activity director at the MCC.

For the bread bakers;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cZPpjilw7Q

Lorita
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2020 1:15 PM

Hi,

Judith, my bottle of Enjoy is a dusty purple.  Do they come in different colors?

I still have that picture on my phone, too, but mine can't be enlarged.  Do you remember if Lorita signed the painting?   I checked on the ones I have - one she painted of cowboy roses for Charles and I when we got married wasn't signed; another of a teapot of roses wasn't signed but the third - one of daffodils Scarlet picked when she was here is signed "Lorita".  The signed one was probably painted prior to 1971 so she may have stopped signing them, or at least all of them.

I think the problem they're having is, from what I understand from them, is that everyone painted the same picture.  If that's the case it probably would be hard to distinguish one from the other - unless you remember something about it.  It would be good if you could meet with the Activities Director - but, you couldn't go inside so - don't know.  Tammy is the person I talked with on Friday.  Leilani is the person (Head RN, I think) and I told her you would be picking up the painting.  I'm sure they aren't there today but I'll call Monday morning and see what's going on.

I just heard an interview on CNN with the Mayor of Miami.  He's not happy about what the Governor did.  I can't imagine people going to a stadium that size with all those people - but, they will. 

Jo - I called my doctor's office and was told they only have one kind of flu vaccine this year - not sure which one.  I got the senior one there last year.  Our Health Dept.'s RN told me they expect to have two kinds - one for younger people - didn't write the name down but think it may have started with an "H" and the Senior one.  Many times in the past Charles and I went to a drive-through thing at Honor Heights Park in Muskogee called "Boo on the Flu"  It was way down in the park at the bottom of the road and cars were lined up to the VA Hospital, at the top of the hill.  But, it moved quickly (think they had two or more lines).  That was the easiest way to do it - not sure they're doing that anymore.  Anyway, I don't want to drive that far.  I think the way the Health Dept. will do it will be pretty safe - don't have to get out of the car at all. 

Your brother is so right - everything's awry - Mother Nature is really ticked off.  I would be afraid of earthquakes, too.  No where to go to be safe from them.  But, every part of the Country has their bad things.  We have tornados which can scare the heck out of you but there's usually good warnings about them. But, sitting in front of the TV watching the radar and knowing you're under a tornado warning is as scary as all get out. 

The dogs howling at the sirens is cute.  Ours howl at wolves and coyotes.  Stormy and Sheena get very upset when they see a bird fly over or a crane on one of the ponds.  I love dogs, always have, and have always had one or two or three.... etc. 

I had to reregister to vote this year because I hadn't voted lately and I requested a mail-in ballot at the same time.  Haven't received it yet but will return it the next day.  Very important election - could determine - everything.  Just saw a clip from Trump's speech last night - he said the only way he could lose is if there was mischief in voting.  Very confident - or...

I love homemade bread - will probably continue making it after all of this is over.  I can remember many years ago when one of our social workers was telling me about this new machine - you could put in the ingredients and it would bake a loaf of bread!  Could hardly believe it.  Then, Charles bought one a couple of years later and we baked bread to be finished just at the time we got up in the morning.  Smelled so good.  I hadn't used the bread maker in years but it's gotten a work-out this summer.  The recipe I finally figured out makes the very best toast.  Found something that's really good on it.  I don't butter it but I've started mixing peach preserves with peanut butter and spread on it - delicious! - would work with blackberry or boysenberry or grape or any other kind I imagine.

I love dark rye bread, especially with Chinese food.  Charles introduced me to Chinese food after we got married.  He loved it because he had so much it during the Korean War - and the places we went always served it with dark rye.  I don't even see dark rye bread anymore. 

Judith - that bread it showed on the video looked beautiful but I'd never be able to get those eight strips braided - sounded and looked really complicated. 

Talked briefly with Sarah - said she didn't sleep much last night so was going to try to sleep some today.  I'm sure it is a hairline fracture, Jo, but the dentist didn't want to do anything with her tooth until she took some antibiotics.  Sarah says it and the tooth really hurt.  She's had a hard time having her grandmother's urn in the house.  She said she was the same way when she had her mother's ashes with her.  I'd probably be the same way.  I told her to put it somewhere she wouldn't see it all the time.

Back later.

jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2020 1:35 PM

YES....THERE IS A BLUE AND A PURPLE ENJOY..ALSO SULFATE FREE, VOLUMIZING ETC.......
Jo C.
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2020 1:35 PM

Hi Judith, my bottle is also a dusty purple color too.  Enjoy makes multiple different kinds of shampoo.   This one keeps the frizzies away for me, but it will not make up for a head of hair that REALLY needs a good shaping.  Sigh.

As for the vaccine; doctor's offices usually have two vaccines:  One is the regular flu shot for younger people; the other is the HD which stands for High Dose.  So; for the older person, it would be the HD Quadrivalent Flu Vaccine; that os the one we had.

As for the shoes; I got mine through a store that sold women's wide shoees only; but they closed about six months ago, so I am not  searching.  I just found some tennis shoes I think I will like, and I will find the link for you as soon as I can.

J.

jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2020 1:43 PM

The justice nominee is a member of a "secretive Catholic “covenant community” called People of Praise that counts Barrett as a member and faces claims of adhering to a “highly authoritarian” structure." https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/26/amy-coney-barrett-supreme-court-donald-trump-people-of-praise

How with 7 children can she take on as a justice? 

jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2020 2:18 PM

OK..I need more info other than the color of the bottle
Lorita
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2020 3:54 PM

Judith, she probably has nannies to take care of the kids.  Pats y told me two are adopted- has five of  her own and one has Down's Syndrone.  I just saw five of them and doesn't look like any of those are over ten or eleven.

My bottle has a clear top and another one under it with a small, raised hole to dispense the shampoo.  Of course  cats knocked mine over and spilled a lot of shampoo.  It says Enjoy and in a vertical, turquoise band says Balancing Shampoo/shampooing equilibrant. Underneath that it says cleanse sensor/color holding formula/sulfate free.

It works okay for my frizzy hair the first day, after that not so good.  But I'm outside in the wind a lot.  Guess I'll just live with it and use hair spray (which I can't like) if I want it to behave.

I got my mail-in ballot today.  Will get it back in the mail Monday.  Pats y and Jack got theirs, too.  I told her we'd cancel out our votes but will vote anyway, for sure.

Girls are coming down to the pond for a drink and dip.  Saw one laying down away from the others so drove over to check.  It was Billy the Bull and he got up when I got there.  Three.babies were still in the shade but are now down by the pond.

Are you all going to watch the debate on the 29th?

jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2020 5:01 PM

I don't think that is the one Jo has.

Not watching the debate....I will catch the highlights on the news later.

Lorita
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2020 8:29 PM

Hi,

Maybe that's why mine isn't working too well.

Not watching the debates might be less stressful- that is if anything is less stressful now.

Sarah just called and said Todd bought a gallon of rubbing alcohol at WM and it was $40. Said that was the smallest quantity they had.  I made disinfectant spray with alcohol, vinegar and water.  Sprayed my mail with it yesterday. Brought it in today(catalogs mostly):and it's making my eyes burn.  If I spray letters with return envelopes inside the flaps stick.

About ready for bed.  I cut some saplings this afternoon- shouldn't do that, I guess.   The shrubs in the yard are overgrown.  I used to cut them back every year but since I hurt my shoulder I can't reach up and use the loppers.  Getting old, I guess/know.

Rest well tonight.  Sandy, hope you had a good time today and aren't too tired.  Good night.