RSS Feed Print
Just need to talk to my friends (129)
Sayra
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 7:53 AM

Keep meaning to ask this and forget.  So asking while I’m thinking about it.  If you use salted butter instead of unsalted when baking do you know if you need to adjust salt in recipe.  Know what mr google pants says but wonder what you guys do in the real world.  Thinking about going back to salted butter which I haven’t used in years, why I’m asking.
Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 8:33 AM

HI Sara,

You're up and at 'em early this morning.  I've never bought unsalted butter.  I don't use butter much in baking but do use some.  Unless you use a whole lot I don't think it would matter- just something else to buy.  As little salt as is used in baking I don't think it would matter.  Just my opinion

I had meant to put the ingredients in to make bread for this morning but after the debate was over just too worn out.  I'll make some today and have cereal this morning.

It's a beautiful morning- bright sunshine, some wind and just the right temp.  Stormy and I just got back in from checking the girls.  The three little girls are very curious about us and the Gator.  They're growing and so cute.  Filled a water tank while I was feeding Tom and Jerry.

I overslept this morning- completely missed the two western s I watch from 6-7.  Went to sleep with the TV on and woke up to them discussing the debate- if you can call it a debate.

News just said there's over 206,000 people lost from the virus.  Doesn't look like things are improving much.  Scary world we are living in.

Enjoy the beautiful day.   One of the doctors who works with the virus just said he wears two masks and a face shield.  I wore two when I had the eye appointment and the doctor commented on it - said she didn't blame me for wearing two and being safe.

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 12:39 PM

Sara, I'm so sorry.  I told you a fib this morning.  I made the loaf of bread, let it cool a bit in the machine, took it out and got the butter.  I always brush or rub butter over the loaf to keep it softer.  I looked at the carton and it said "unsalted".  I had never noticed that.  I don't buy it often, always use  soft spread.  Still don't think it makes much difference.  When we made our own butter I have no idea if it was salted- probably not.

I had that top slice of warm bread with peach pre serves.  Can't tell you had delicious it was.  If you all have a bread machine try making a loaf.  If not, try it the other way.  No comparison to the white, store bought kind. I think I could eat the whole loaf. Our machine only makes a small or medium  loaf - two cups of flour.  Wish it made a bigger one.  I heArd that after The virus began The sale of bread machines went up either 400% or 800%, not side-by-side anyway a lot.  Ours is probably at least 30 years old-fashioned still works.

I should make some yogurt. I've made it before and it's good if you add a bit of sugar or fruit.  I broke one of the little containers but still have five, I think.

The weather man just said it would be warm today and much cooler the next few days.  This time of year, in Oklahoma, we have these temp ups and downs.  Wish we could have two or three months of nice, fall weather- doesn't often happen.
Can't get in touch  with Sarah so don't know what's going on with her.  Patsy is waiting for a new phone to get to her so haven't been talking with her.

I'll stop and get on with my ratkillin'.  Doesn't that sound awful?  No rats here, maybe in the barn? Haven't seen any.  Just an Oklahoma sayin'.

Rescue mom
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 1:33 PM

Re: butter...I always used salted. But when I started “serious” baking a few years ago, I used unsalted because all recipes called for it, and that baking usually requires more precision/exactness than I use in other cooking. 

Then I ran out of unsalted, and used salted. And honestly, I cannot tell any difference. Maybe somebody can, but not me. Now I use salted for everything (and I don’t do much serious baking anymore anyway). 

I still think some brands of butter—salted or not—make a huge difference in many baked pastries.  My general rule is, the fewer the ingredients, the more important good butter is. OTOH, not much beats a French buttery croissant! French/European butter really is different, and makes their pastries different. If you can get homemade butter anywhere, it’s more like that.

Our record hot weather finally broke! It was 70 at 6 am (coolest morning since winter) but more importantly the humidity is way down. I’ve worked outside for hours.

Lorita, jalapeño jelly and cream cheese, with crackers, is a party classic around here.

Jo C.
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 1:36 PM

Gr-r-r-r; happened again.  Was in process of writing and the Post was not only lost; once again I was kicked right off the Board.  Will not recreate right now, drats.

Seems to happen more often when there are multiple pages to a Thread.

By the way, there has been more input over the last month or so regarding finding that COVID is well able to be spread out of doors, here is as link I just read this morning 

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/evidence-shows-covid-spread-outdoors-091345974.html

Risk is lower when outside as compared to inside, but the risk is still there; so masks, masks, masks it is.  

J.

Sayra
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 2:49 PM

Thank you for your replies about the butter and salt.  Salted butter for the most part has two ingredients salt and cream, unsalted has cream and natural flavoring.  Salt is a preservative for the butter.  The natural flavoring is what they are using to preserve unsalted butter.  Who knows what it is so will stick with salted from now on I think.  
We like pepper jelly, cream cheese and crackers here too.

Reminder to beware of scam calls.  Got one for my  social security and one regarding my cell phone today.  Have never had one referring to my cell phone before.

Very windy day today, unable to work outside so made brownies

jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 3:22 PM

salted v unsalted...a fun article;

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/institute/a19376/salted-butter-vs-unsalted-butter-baking-tip/

Pepper Jelly (Braswell's only) and cream cheese...my husband favorite! I think with triscuits.

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 6:23 PM

Hi,

Just discovered that Savannah 's a boy!!!
Remember he's Lilly's kitten.  I had wondered why Max wasn't paying much attention to her/him.  Judith, glad I didn't take him to Mike to be fixed.  Would have been embarrassing. 

Never have been any good at determining girls or boys until they're grown. Soon after Charles and I moved to the farm a cat came to live with us.  Named him Alexander.  A few months  later Alexander had kittens.  Thereafter, known as Alexandra.

One thing about this thread, never gets dull.  We discuss everything and I learn so much.  I don't think we put salt in our homemade butter but we did keep it in the ice box.  Guess it'll alwAys be an ice box to me.  I can remember that.  Of course, I'm as old as the hills or "mature" as friend, Jo, says.

Watching Gunsmoke.  I've never seen it. Back later.

telinde
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 6:45 PM

HI all.  Spent most of the day today running around.  I got my flu shot and can’t feel anything unless I press on the bandaid.  Hardly know I got a shot.  I feel so blessed with no reaction.  I’ve never had a reaction to the flu shot anyway, so didn’t expect any trouble.

I use all fresh fruit to make jams and jellies.  A lot of the fruit is given to me and I buy the rest when it’s on a good sale.  This year, my choices were blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, rhubarb, chokecherry, peach, and strawberry-rhubarb.  I think that’s all.  

Sara, the hot water canners are very inexpensive.  It’s rewarding to see the canned products on the pantry shelves.

I didn’t watch much of the debate.  Too much chaos, and it was almost impossible to hear the answers.  

We had a beautiful day too.  Was in the 70’s, and so pleasant.  Good day to be out and about.  

Have a good evening.  Joan

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 7:29 PM

Joan, glad you got your flu shot with no reaction.  I'll get mine in a couple of weeks- afraid not to.

Chaos, indeed to put it mildly.  I hung in there thinking it would get better - it didn't.  I went to sleep with the TV on and woke up to, I think, Chris Cuomo and others talking about it.  Turned it off but I'll wAtch them later.

I have the front door open and it's getting darker - so beautiful with the huge golden moon coming up and reflecting in the pond.  Couldn't be prettier.  Guess that's one reason I love this place.  It's full tomorrow night- Dying Grass Moon.  Go out and look at it.  The cows just went by one by one going to the south pasture.  Nothing more relaxing that I can think of.   Always had Charles come out on the porch to.look at the full moon.

Joan, all of  your jams and jellies sound wonderful.  I can almost taste the blueberry.  Never have seen it in stores.  I'm not familiar with chockcherries.  What are they like?  Have you ever made boysenberry? That's what I have now-delicious.

I do wish all of you could see what I'm enjoying right now- the full moon reflecting in water.Wish I could take a picture of it.  I've tried but doesn't turn out good.

Sammy. (formerly Savannah) and Kitt are both in the chair with me.  What would I ever do without my pets?

I'll stop for this night/month.  Can't believe this is the last day of September.  Good night.

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 9:01 PM

Ron, I know your biopsy is tomorrow and you're dreading it.  But, just think this time tomorrow night it will be over.

Do you have someone who will stay with Lou until it's done and you feel better?  It won't be as bad as you think.  The dread and waiting is always worse than the actual thing.

We'll be there with you in spirit and hoping for a good report.  As we always say "we have you in our pocket".

Rest well tonight.