RSS Feed Print
Bit of Respite Just For You
Jo C.
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2019 12:14 PM

Lovely respite best viewed full screen on larger monitor screen other than cell phone or IPad if you have access and of course with sound.   This is all at the Butchart Gardens in Victoria, British Columbia.  It was quite an experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r__d7blwuW4

The following is a photo of the sunken garden, but it doesn't do it justice.   We arrived early and deseended down into the garden; it was so breathtakingly beautiful, it brought tears to my eyes. This was built down inside acres of old, abandoned quarry:

https://www.butchartgardens.com/garden/sunken-garden/

J.

ruthmendez
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2019 1:54 PM

Well this is perty! I would like pretty flowers like those...I love the bluish tones. But, this is a LOT of work and I’ve always been lazy with gardens or fruit trees. I have this very delicious mixed orange with something else fruit tree that I never water. So my neighbor waters it and eats my oranges. I don’t mind....I’m just so lazy.  My sister used to ask me to water her flowers and feed her pets when she goes on vacation...but I finally fired myself and not doing it anymore :o)
markus8174
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2019 7:16 AM

OOOOH  ! Purddy Flowers !!!!

If they can get that to grow in BC,(cool, damp and cloudy are words that come to mind),why is the only flower on my property dandelions.

Dreamer Lost
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2019 9:02 AM

yes, beautiful!  but i can't even keep my potted plants alive.  just too hot in south Texas. But thanks for the respite, need to find a way to put this on my tv.
w/e
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2019 12:29 PM

Wild flowers in my Garden of Eden.

Markus, I love dandelions. Especially in the early spring when I see one in all its beauty and joy emerging freely and cheery through concrete cracks. A gorgeous flower. Strong. Confident. Resilient. A survivor, indeed. Ready to take on Life. And whatever Life has to offer.

But if the sight of dandelions appearing on your nicely green 'golf-lawn' property bothers you, instead of using chemicals and weed killers, pour boiling water over each plant. Or maybe you could try a combo of 1 tablespoon of liquid soap, 1 quart of vinegar, 1/4 cup of lemon juice. Spray over the plant. If the "weed" has not withered in a few hours. Repeat spray.

I have in-laws living in Victoria, BC. I visit often with them. Lots of retirees in Victoria and surrounding area. Beautiful island. And beautiful British Columbia. But I am content / satisfied / serene living in my personal space.

ruthmendez
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2019 11:03 PM

My mother was into roses.  OH, she really loved roses.  "They're beautiful but dangerous..." she would say, referring to their thorns being dangerous. 

She attended them often, and buy more and more and more roses. I always thought, "ugh...that's a lot of work for them flowers..."   

Many different colors and she'd talk them.  

One time I asked her if we could get blue roses....my poor mom.  She went to the nursery searching for them, then ordered from a catalog.  She told me that she couldn't promise they would bloom blue, but she tried.  

The flower came out white and some sort of pinkish.  I wasn't too happy with it, and then ignored it.

Jo C.
Posted: Monday, July 1, 2019 9:16 AM

Dandelions?  Wine! 

However; I have never tasted dandelion wine and have actually never seen it. 

Yes; British Columbia is awesome and beautiful.  I truly love Canada.  I was raised in the U.P. of Michigan, and can remember traveling to Canada with my parents and then of course my own experiences in adulthood.  Beautiful, dear country and just the nicest people. 

I was not expecting the Butchart Gardens to be that overhelmingly beautiful and impressive.  As said, pictures cannot begin to do it justice.  The large sunken gardens were of such deeply touching beauty and so much more than expected.

Ruth and Roses -  for me, they were not the easiest plants to care for.  If it isn't aphids, it is rust, or other such malady; but oh my, some of the different types are really lovely.  I had rose bushes for awhile, they were transplants from my mother's home; but I was not really a rose type person.  One of my SILs took them all and transplanted them again and they have done well; the flowers are beautiful.  Evidently some types are rather hardy considering being transplanted twice.  Maybe something we humans can learn from.

What an awesome planet we live on; so many different varieties of flora and fauna and oh my; the geography! 

J.

w/e
Posted: Monday, July 1, 2019 10:10 AM

¡Qué hija! I say with a smile on my face.

Your blue rose brought to mind looking beneath the surface.

There is a delightful novella, Le Petit Prince, written by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. Here is a translation of the most famous quote from the novella:

"And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Mami, lovingly and carefully, tended her roses. She taught you well. Fast forward to transfer of learning. She showed you how to tend your papi, now. Now that he is being ravished and carried away by his symptoms of dementia. Mami taught you to watch over him, patiently. Always on the alert. Paying attention to his needs...

S*** ! What a demanding and prickly papi... the thorns duelen mucho! 

Hmm... Keep on tending, mi hija. He is still beautiful inside.

Roses are blue... Ruthita, keep cultivating and tending the blue roses. In your heart.

Love ya.