RSS Feed Print
Testing for Alzheimer's 20 years before symptoms appears
jay123
Posted: Tuesday, February 4, 2020 12:32 PM

I recently read through a research article were researchers were making progress in identifying Alzheimer's about 15-20 years before onset of any symptoms. This is great, because preventive medication could now be started early, thus pushing behind EO by years (or decades). The catch however was that the test would be pretty expensive (couple of thousands) and would not be covered by insurance.

I am skeptical that the price might prevent people from undertaking the test, thus making it less effective. Furthermore, similar to case with Huntington's disease; lack of cure medication might also discourage people from knowing about it beforehand. Do you agree, or have different opinions. Please do share them.

TayB4
Posted: Tuesday, February 4, 2020 6:19 PM

I would not be tested for a disease that has no treatment or cure.
ruthmendez
Posted: Tuesday, February 4, 2020 10:27 PM

A couple grand is too much for me to be interested.  But, I would like to be tested.  Not for the reason that I would believe in a cure or to push out the disease, but for the curiosity and to plan.

I guess many of us have lost belief or hope in a cure.  At least during my time, I don't believe there will be a cure.  

KawKaw
Posted: Wednesday, February 5, 2020 3:48 PM

The test at the current price is too expensive.  However, I would want to take it.

Dementia/alzheimer's is the type of condition where I could benefit from having extra time to plan.

gubblebumm
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2020 9:59 PM

As getting insurance for "pre existing conditions" is once again getting harder, sure sign me up for this so when I get a cold, well, sorry you may get ALZ so sucks for you

In a different world with different health care coverage, job protection, finanicial protection etc, than MAYBE otherwise its stupid tbh, sorry you can't work here, in 20 years you will get ALZ and our insurance company says nope

KawKaw
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 7:01 AM

There's that.  Didn't think about that danger.
abc123
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2020 9:48 PM

I read an article which said researchers believe the brain starts changing as much as 20 years before diagnosis. Interesting.

Part of me wants to be tested, the other part is scared as hell. Being a 60 year old widow, I think texting would be the responsible thing to do to allow for planning.