RSS Feed Print
Very disturbed
Somethingelsa
Posted: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 6:31 PM

I debated whether I should just quietly stop reading and posting on this caregivers forum or speak my truth first . Since I found alzconnect I have taken such comfort from it and most people on it . I was able to bypass those I felt were not helpful to me and enjoy what was meaningful for me . Until a couple of weeks ago I had not scrolled down far enough to notice “musings”I am so sorry that I did . Our lives as caregivers are not easy . Our lives in this political climate are not easy either . We are all entitled to our opinions and to voice them . But are we entitled to be mean and nasty ? I don’t think so . Most on these forums are not . There are a handful tho that I really find so upsetting . It is those few that are causing me to realize this site is no longer helping me . In fact I believe the time has come to just stay away. I thought naively , that the personal  problems we have in our lives would open us up to be a more compassionate and understanding person.Believe me  I know that illness and exhaustion can make us short tempered but we are all in the same boat . It’s not necessary to change our opinions but to graciously accept that others may have differing ones .Please forgive my rant but I felt I had to speak out . I am really heartsick reading the responses of some people to what I assumed was just musing . I’m also a bit confused as to when a moderator steps in . Again I thank you all but it’s time for a break . Perhaps when my skin grows a little thicker I will try again . I’m really really sad about this.
ruthmendez
Posted: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 7:52 PM

Yes, I agree it's disturbing.  And it seems that the best time to start a thread that stirs debate out of control is Friday nights....when there is a great chance no moderator is available during the weekend to step in.  

I've seen arguments wild and loose or folks put on the public spot during the weekends when the OP has control and can skip town for the weekend.   This happens on different forums.  

ruthmendez
Posted: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 7:55 PM

Or maybe I'm just spending too much time observing here.....maybe I need a cyber break too.
ladyzetta
Posted: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 8:17 PM

Dear Somethingelsa,

I totally agree with you. I used to post often but when I started feeling like you do I felt it was not in my best interest. I have seen too many good posters leave the boards due to this reason. 

I have heard there are other good places but I don't have the time to look. I still come back here and read often there are some of these people I do care about. I just don't get involved with the B.S. Take Care

ruthmendez
Posted: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 8:45 PM

I like Musings and the folks who hang out here, I just didn't like that one thread that went so out of control.  I didn't find it healthy for anyone.  At least that's how I viewed it.  It could have been stopped in many very simple ways, but it didn't stop and some members got really hurt.
Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 12:14 AM

I'm disturbed, too. By people beating up on each other. There's no excuse for it. I try to be nice. To everyone. Can't we all do that? --Jim
ruthmendez
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 11:19 AM

Feed it and be a part of it or don't entertain it. 

jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 1:32 PM

Elsa...to answer your question about the moderators stepping in.....

They are the ones that will post a warning, delete a post or a thread. When they do this they let us know. They pretty much count on us to follow the terms and conditions we agreed to when we registered. Members are expected to report when they feel someone has posted in violation of the same. It is the monitor, however, who will make the call so when you think someone is not "being" nice please let them know. 

Usually reports revolve around the bottom two on the list.

The posting of inflammatory content will not be tolerated. Inflammatory content includes, but is not limited to:

• Name calling
  • Vulgar language
  • Discrimination
  • Sexually inappropriate comments
  • Hostile comments or complaints about other ALZConnected members and/or their opinions
  • Attacks on other ALZConnected member

ALZConnected Moderator
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 5:09 PM

To ensure that ALZConnected remains a positive and supportive environment, the Alzheimer's Association reserves the right to remove any post that is in violation of the community guidelines.

Violation of these guidelines has resulted in Moderation action to remove a post from this thread. 

Thank you,

ALZConnected Moderator

Jim Broede
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2018 1:49 AM

I have. On occasion. Reached the point where I'm not disturbed. By anything. I merely forge ahead. And refuse to be bothered. Simply. Getting on with life. Sometimes, that's necessary. To protect one's sanity. --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2018 1:53 AM

Sometimes. What I have to say. Is misconstrued. Often, I merely let it pass. To avoid even further misconstruction. --Jim
MrsGr8shpr
Posted: Friday, November 9, 2018 3:00 PM

@Somethingelsa

I am looking for you, friend with a great sense of humor! Have been thinking about you and yours and how it might be going!

I hope you come back because I’m missing you!

jfkoc
Posted: Friday, November 9, 2018 5:53 PM

me too...
MrsGr8shpr
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 2:10 PM

Hi jfkoc! Long time!