RSS Feed Print
A caution for solos
Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 4:35 PM

A solo is my term for a patient without a natural care provider, such as a spouse or adult child or close friend.  A solo relies on neighbors or an acquaintance.  I had occasion last week to drive my elderly neighbor to the emergency room.  When she called me to pick her up, the receptionist could not find her name in the computer.  Could she have already left?  No, I was her ride.  Could she be under a different name, such as her maiden name?  I didn't think so, because she had been married for over sixty years.  

I called her ten times on her cell phone but there was no answer.  After about forty-five minutes, she came out.  I told her I had not been able to locate her.  It turns out that she had been listed under her maiden name, as her name was hyphenated on her admission papers.  I never knew her maiden name or that she was hyphenated.  Also, her first name was not the name I knew her by.  So I would never have been able to locate her.  She also said she had turned off her cell phone because she only uses it for emergencies.  I told her this was an emergency, because she was in the emergency room and I had been trying to get in touch with her for some time.

The lesson here:  let others know what name(s) you might be listed under.  Keep your cell phone ON when you are out of the house.  Your ride might be trying to reach you.

Iris

eaglemom
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 8:33 AM

That is some good advise Iris. Thanks for sharing.

eagle

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 8:37 AM

As you may remember Iris I also keep my cell phone off and only used for emergencies. For me it because of being frustrated on being able to use it.  I have trouble just answering the phone. Forget about voice mail as I have no clue on how to get it. So we need to take inconsideration why people do some of these things. 

jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 9:23 AM

I use my cell phone mainly for safety also. It is far more capable of things than I can conjure up. 
It is an iPhone and old. If i need a new cell I am going to look at the Jitterbug.

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 10:09 PM

My point was to keep the phone ON when you are in the emergency room because someone might be trying to reach you.  If you don't know how to answer the phone, ask a nurse or someone to help you.  Probably one should not be out alone.  In California, the state pays for free cell phone for the disabled and free lessons on how to use a smartphone; separate classes for android users and iPhone users.  I have taken the class twice.  

Iris

looking4relief
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2019 11:34 AM

I would add to this remove pin codes from your electronic devices so you don't lock yourself out of them and people can access some useful information if they need to. Also if you always carry a cellphone with you authorities would be able to track you if you ever get lost.
BadMoonRising
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2019 2:01 PM

I would never delete my PIN. My contact list includes passwords for bank accounts, etc. Because I have an iphone, it is set up for emergency personnel to bypass the PIN and read my medical history and emergency contacts. I usually keep my phone turned on although there are occasions I carry it turned off. 

That said, my 93 year old father (AD) carried a flip phone and was able to answer a call by simply opening the closed phone. Sometimes simple is best.

a_step@a_time
Posted: Saturday, December 21, 2019 4:34 AM

THanks Iris. Good point. I wonder if the office would have had her cell on file.  And could have looked her up for you by phone number. Another point for patient would be to let a receptionist know you are awaiting a pickup ride. 

BBadmoonrising, flip phones are still a good idea. Should not have to pay a lot for it or charged an expensive call plan either.  It's costs to get old. Hearing aids, eye wear,  medications, adult diapers, home aids, walk aids, etc, etc. The price to live a reasonable existence outpaces the actual cost of living.