RSS Feed Print
Saw a flower, thought of my mother
KawKaw
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 6:53 PM

For quite a few years, it was my habit to take photos of interesting views of the ocean or lovely flowers on my morning run and send them to my mother.

She was a dedicated runner for many years until multiple sclerosis stopped her.

Taking photos of flowers was my way to open up her day and share something we both loved--running.

I was on a run with one of my dogs this morning, and saw a lovely flower she would have enjoyed.

I stopped to take a photo.  For a moment, I forgot she was dead.

It was a small blow when I remembered and I chose not to take the photo.  It wasn't something I wanted for myself.  I ran on.

I suppose give more time, I will forget less often.

Unless my MCI progresses into dementia, I suppose.

I miss her. 

ladyzetta
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 8:05 PM

((((KawKaw)))))

That was sweet, Thank You for Sharing.

My DH passed away 2 years ago and at times I feel him in the car with me, being a back seat driver. Not as much now as it used to be.  Hugs Zetta 

TessC
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2020 10:51 PM

Your mother sounds lovely. Forgetting about such a sad loss may not be uncommon, especially for those of us who took care of our LOs for a long time. I dream of my mom often. I think of her daily because so many things remind me of her. Thankfully the good memories are coming forth more often now. Take care, KawKaw and ladyzetta!

KawKaw
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2020 6:57 PM

LadyZetta,

Laughed at "back seat driver."  It is interesting how characteristics or behaviors that might have been less than welcome? to us can take on a bit of nostalgia.

My mother was a front passenger seat driver.  It was annoying especially when I was younger.

After living through dementia with her, her front seat driving would not be a blip on my list of annoyances.

Rockym
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 8:16 AM

I find I am in a similar boat.  Not taking photos, but seeing and hearing things constantly remind me of my mom.  My mom passed 2 years ago and I am always telling my kids grandma-isms.  Even my dad's sayings are floating to the surface.  I think when we really loved our parents and perhaps like some of us were so very close by caring for them in the end, their memory is really really strong.

The fact you both loved to run and the sweet sending of a flower pic is a great memory.  I will say that I spent years on Alz.com and find that I have returned recently as a way to honor mom's memory, share and hopefully help those who find themselves just beginning.