RSS Feed Print
Testimonials - has anything worked to reverse alzheimers?
SunshineFour
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 12:08 PM

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could post whether something in particular i.e. vitamin, coconut oil, aromatherapy oils, has shown improvement with alzheimers.  There is so much out there on alternative things, it would be great to hear about something that has worked/helped....

SunshineFour
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 12:12 PM

the list below is everything I have read about which 'may' help however there are so many things on the list.  It would be great to know what has really worked for someone........

Alpha Lipic Acid   Niacinamide    Phosphatidylserine   Vitamin D     MMS     L acetyl carnatine    Sage (tea)     Coconut Oil   choline     Turmeric - sprinkle on food if not doing curry Lithium     Vitamin B12   Berries     coQ10     B12     Magnesium   Magnesium-L-threonate Cinammon   Aromatherpathy (Rosemary etc) Apple Juice   CoQ10, L-carnitine and magnesium Omega 3s     Sardines/Mackeral   Regular Exercise   Ashwagandha root'
Mimi S.
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 1:53 PM

Hi Sunshine Four,

If you are looking for a miracle, not yet. They are many promising hints.

If you are looking to slow it down, in my opinion, a lot depends upon the stage in which it is diagnosed, how willing the person, not the caregiver, is to fight and the attitude of the person with dementia. The current meds have been shown to lower the rate of decline.

I seem to be the answer to what is the best possible outcome.

1. I was diagnosed at a very early stage.

2. I serendipitously discovered the Best Practices and faithfully follow them. 

3. I have a very positive attitude. I have accepted the disease and spend a lot of time as an Advocate.

At this time it is well over five years since diagnosis. My retest neuro scores show improvement, not continued deterioration. My cognition is still better than it was at the time of diagnosis.

I seem to be having more problems remembering names but given time, I can usually remember. Hints help a lot!  It doesn't really bother me that much when I can't remember, since I know the reason and that's that.

But, I still know my diagnosis and all my ducks are in order, as much as can be planned for the future.

Myriam
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 8:01 PM

Mimi S. wrote:

I seem to be the answer to what is the best possible outcome.

1. I was diagnosed at a very early stage.

2. I serendipitously discovered the Best Practices and faithfully follow them. 

3. I have a very positive attitude. I have accepted the disease and spend a lot of time as an Advocate.

Hi, Sunshine. I too was diagnosed at a very early stage, follow Mimi's Best Practices (thanks, Mimi!), have a very positive attitude, accept the disease, and spend a lot of time as an advocate. In addition to the Exelon patch and Namenda, I also do aroma therapy (thanks, Lane!), take Axona and lots of supplements. I was diagnosed in 2009 and recently have been hovering between stages 2 and 3.

SunshineFour
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 3:31 PM

sorry guys where to I find the best practices?  Many thanks!

Lane Simonian
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 3:49 PM

Myriam kindly posted the Best Practices information on this clinical trial section on March 3, 2012.  There are a number of posts in this section on alternative treatments for Alzheimer's disease, some of which have appeared to reverse aspects of Alzheimer's disease.  I like your list.  I am nearly convinced that there are a variety of alternative treatments that cannot only slow down the progression of this disease, but also partially reverse it.   Some treatments may only work early on and all are best when given early, but some can help treat the disease even in its later stages. 

I have a small story in regards to my mother who has received aromatherapy now for over four years (she has had Alzheimer's disease for seven years).  She looked at a clear container with salt on the table and asked is that sugar?  Four years ago she would not have known what sugar was let alone be able to recognize something that looked like sugar.  As a whole, she is much more alert and aware now and I am almost certain that there are other alternative treatments that will produce similar results.