RSS Feed Print
Studies indicate meditation, aromatherapy may help fight against Alzheimer's
SunshineFour
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 12:50 PM

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/03/23/4360654/studies-indicate-meditation-aromatherapy.html
Myriam
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 7:45 PM

I've been meditating for almost 30 years. Maybe that's why my symptoms of AD didn't show up until I was 63, instead of the late 40's like my father, 7 of his siblings, and several of my cousins. I'm also doing aroma therapy (thanks, Lane) and best practices. 
SusieQ
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 8:42 AM

Myriam,

How do you go about doing the aromatherapy and what would you use?  Thanks.

Myriam
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 10:17 AM

Actually, I followed what Lane does for his mother. Here are the aroma's I use: Peppermint, Cinnamon, Sage, Oregano, Bay Laurel, Rosemary, Orange and Thyme. If you decide to try this, make sure you buy quality aroma's. They aren't all made alike. 

Each morning  and evening (usually when I take my meds), I bring the aroma close to my nose and take a long breath of it into my nose. Then I wait a few seconds before breathing the next aroma. 

It took me several weeks before I started noticing a difference. the results are subtle, but for me every little bit helps. 

Lane, is there anything I'm missing? 

Lane Simonian
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 11:15 AM

Perfect, Myriam.  I am glad that you are seeing some positive results from aromatherapy. 

Here are some essential oils that I haven't used with my mother, but for which positive results have been reported for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease : grapefruit, lemon balm, lemon, lavender, and frankincense.  There are also different ways of administering the essential oils, but inhalation from the bottle is the safest and perhaps the most effective means of getting the oils in concentrated form to the brain.  Other methods for delivering the oils include tinctures, massage, and diffusers.  Never ingest essential oils without dilution.  Even essential oil tinctures bought from stores have to be used with extreme care.  The same is true for massage oils.  Certain essential oil are caustic to the skin (as I have found out by accident).  It is best to consult an aromatherapist before using a diffuser (to determine the proper dilution).  I just wanted to note that there are some alternative methods of delivery. 

I use cinnamon leaf essential oil (from true cinnamon).  I don't think it makes a difference in terms of aromatherapy, but in terms of ingestion of the spice true cinnamon is safer than other forms of cinnamon which can in large concentrations harm the liver. 

Aromatherapy is generally safe, although some people can have allergic reactions--most commonly headaches or nausea.  In a few rare cases, aromatherapy has led to higher blood pressure.  Some researchers warn against the use of aromatherapy for people prone to seizures.  Aromatherapy usually helps in regards to behavior as well as cognition, but with certain forms of dementia, with certain medications, or with certain variations of Alzheimer's disease it may increase agitation.  As a whole, though, studies indicate that it is an effective means of treating Alzheimer's disease.   

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1479-8301.2009.00299.x/abstract 

http://www.herb-health-guide.com/understanding-essential-oils.html 

a.mon.mor
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2014 10:10 PM

Hello,
thank you for this post!  I replied to another one before finding this. It's helpful and I'll share with my father.