RSS Feed Print
When you do a drug trial stoping your AD meds
SteveSanJose
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 4:43 PM

It is always been a concern of mine that when you do a drug trial and you are taking Alzheimer's medication they ask you to stop taking it so they could study the trial medicine. ThIs does not make me feel safe. Could this be a concern?
Mimi S.
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 6:50 PM

Steve, I share your concern. There are other trials where you would not be asked to do that. Keep looking.
Lisa428
Posted: Monday, April 9, 2012 12:57 PM

Steve,

The 2 clinical trials (drugs) I have tested allowed me to stay on my Alzheimer's medications.  I don't think I would participate in one that would insist on my getting off my meds.

Keep looking.  There are a lot of drug studies that allow you to stay on your meds.

Good Luck.

Peace and Hope,

Lisa

SteveSanJose
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:50 PM

I'll keep looking. I am registered with the Alzheimer's Association trial match program. And I subscribe to the Stanford University Alzheimer's research Center, newsletter. Most research centers have newsletters, that you can subscribe to for free.
eaglemom
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:25 AM

Steve I had that discussion with DH's neurologist yesterday.  He said he would help / refer, etc whatever we wanted.  However he was NOT in favor of trials that would stop the medicine.  #1 - possibly "loose" what they are keeping steady and he more concern was #2 - you are required to go off ALL medications. No matter if they are for bp, diabetis, chlosterol, potassium, depression - you get the picture.  He feels going off all med's is simply wrong -and I tend to agree.

There are trials where med's are a supliment - that's the ones I feel we'd be interested in pursuring.

Inquiring mind
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:16 PM

My wife is a participant in the Bapineuzumab trials and was encouraged to stay on her existing medications.  I agree that it would be a mistake to go off the regular medication.  That would not seem to be a fair trial in some respects.
SteveSanJose
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2012 3:47 PM

I am on 18 different meds for my numerous medical problems. I have a fealing that realy diaqualifies me for most drug trails. I have do some early detechtion trials. I'll keep looking.