RSS Feed Print
Clinical Trials for Natural Substances
Swarfmaker
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 9:04 AM

Here is a quote from David Schubert, Ph.D., professor and head of the Salk Institute's Cellular Neurobiology Laboratory (CNL) about the likelihood of there being clinical trials for natural substances:

It's Not an Apple a Day After All -- It's Strawberries: Flavonoids Could Represent Two-Fisted Assault On Diabetes and Nervous System Disorders
ScienceDaily (June 27, 2011)
...But he also worries that hoops that must be jumped through to bring a natural product like fisetin, as opposed to a totally synthetic drug, to clinical trials are daunting because it is difficult to protect patents on natural products. "We will never know if a compound like fisetin works in humans until someone is willing to support a clinical trial."...
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110627183932.htm

So, clinical trials on humans of natural products like coffee, fisetin, trehalose, curcumin, cinnamon extracts, etc., or even old unpatentable drugs like methylene blue are very unlikely.  I'm thankful that these discussions about natural products have been permitted, since this forumn is in fact titled "Clinical Trials".  I have only posted things here because I have nowhere else to go.  Perhaps there should be a forum titled "Natural Substances with Promising Research But Are Unlikely To Ever Undergo a Clinical Trial".

Lane Simonian
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 10:39 AM

Beautifully said and right to the heart of the matter.