RSS Feed Print
***Uncontrollable Outbursts of Laughing and/or Crying-PBA***
MBHR
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 10:41 AM

I am a medical researcher and part of a research team for a condition that is often seen in AD called PseudoBulbar Affect.

People experience laughing or crying "fits" that are not connected to external events.
Often people get misdiagnosed as having psychological problems and it is under recognized, diagnosed and treated.
I would very much like to learn more about the symptoms and distress of patients experiencing these symptoms. Would you be so kind as to email if you would like to start a dialogue.

Shellasim
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 1:18 PM

Very very interesting. This might explain why my mom laughs uncontrollably at the sitcoms that I put on the TV for her. I put these on for her because I thought that it gave her much enjoyment. But, her laughing does seem a bit uncontrollable to where some of it isn't even funny. My husband will come home from work and ask, has she been like this all day? I tell him yes. She laughs so hard that she is buckling over in laughter. This PseudoBulbar Affect is indeed interesting and I have never heard of it before until reading your post. 

Anyone else experiencing their LO having outbursts of laughter or crying?

Shelley

Vita99
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2013 6:47 AM

Yes, after my stepfather a major stroke he did laugh at inappropriate times.  It only lasted a few weeks and the behavior did not reoccur.  He did not show symptoms of AD before the stroke, they began slowly over the next 5 1/2 years.