RSS Feed Print
Proteo Tech "Pepti Clere" treatment for ALZ
alz+
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2014 9:16 PM

I know nothing about pharmaceuticals but came across this trial - which maybe has been covered here in other topic.

ProteoTech Inc., is a private drug development Company that is located in the Seattle, WA area (Kirkland, WA), and is focused on targeting misfolded proteins and amyloid diseases. ProteoTech is utilizing its amyloid and proteoglycan expertise in an effort to transform the lives of victims of Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, type 2 diabetes and systemic amyloid disease (including AL, TTR and AA amyloidosis).

With over 260 issued patents in its intellectual property estate, ProteoTech will soon enter proof-of-concept human clinical trials for its small molecule drug, Systebryl™, for the treatment of AL (immunoglobulin light chain) amyloidosis.

The Company is in late stage pre-clinical development with Synuclere™ for the treatment of Parkinson's disease, and is also in late stage pre-clinical development for a novel small peptide called PeptiClere™ for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease. ProteoTech is additionally developing a novel small molecule compound for the treatment of tau protein aggregation amyloidosis seen in taupathies such as Alzheimer's and progressive and the supranuclear palsy. This latter project is funded by a $2.3M Phase II SBIR (Small Business Innovative research) award from the National institute on Aging. Lastly, ProteoTech has identified lead compounds that target islet amyloid fibrils present in 90% of patients with Type 2 diabetes.

http://www.proteotech.com/

Alan D. Snow, PhD, a former Research Associate Professor of Pathology at the University of Washington founded the Company in 1996 to accelerate new discoveries pertaining to proteoglycan technologies and their relationship to amyloid related diseases. Dr. Snow was one of the first researchers who identified that beta-amyloid protein should be a target for Alzheimer's disease therapeutics. Dr. Snow was also the first researcher who identified the existence of specific proteoglycans in beta-amyloid protein deposits in Alzheimer's disease and Downs' Syndrome. His early research involved working with the Nobel Prize winner Dr. Stanley Prusiner on identifying the role of proteoglycans in prion diseases.

The Company has since been successful in independently discovering different proprietary classes of compounds that inhibit and disrupt the amyloid fibril process, that include: (1) unique small molecule compounds and analogs (representing new chemical entities) and (2) unique small peptides (representing new chemical entities).

The Company believes that specific and newly identified compounds within these classes will lead to exciting new therapies for the treatment of amyloid diseases. ProteoTech's team of scientists is dedicated to improving the health of individuals targeted with these dreaded diseases.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2014 10:42 AM

I always have a hard time evaluating these drugs.  If all it is doing is reducing amyloid and tau aggregation, I don't think it will have much of an effect on Alzheimer's. But if it is doing something beyond this, then it may have potential.  First time that I have heard of it.
alz+
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2014 5:13 PM

In movie Dallas Buyers Club  the guy who finds his own nutrients to fight AIDS mentions "peptide T even cures dementia" and so lots of people went searching for it, me too.

This refers to a peptide, and the dementia caused by AIDS probably was reversable.

I am going to assume ALZ is reversible too. Still looking for the Russian nutrient therapy of 3 months duration that cured a rash of dementia that occurred not so long ago.

Thanks for looking at that.

alz+
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2014 5:41 PM

Lane - looking into quantum consciousness.

would you look at this?

http://www.quantumconsciousness.org/Zincdyshomeostasis.htm

Lane Simonian
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2014 7:11 PM

Various small molecules (in part because they cross the blood-brain barrier) and peptides (mainly those that bind to amyloid) have been suggested for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease.   In the end, I think it will be the small molecules that scavenge peroxynitrites (in various essential oils, medicinal marijuana, lemon balm, ginseng, Angelica archangelica, and rice bran, for instance) that will effectively treat Alzheimer's disease.

Near the end of the link on zinc, they mentioned Pbt2 which is a drug that reduced brain shrinkage in a phase 2a clinical trial but did not significantly improve cognition.  Pbt2 is a drug that redistributes copper and zinc in the brain. Depending on location and timing, zinc can have a positive or negative effect on memory and neurons. Redistributing it seems to have an effect, but not a major one.

There is a link between peroxynitrites and the damage to tau and between peroxynitrites and zinc and the death of neurons.  They may be the critical links.

Peroxynitrite induces Alzheimer-like tau modifications and accumulation in rat brain and its underlying mechanisms.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16816118

Peroxynitrite-Induced Neuronal Apoptosis [cell death] Is Mediated by Intracellular Zinc Release and 12-Lipoxygenase Activation

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2945223/

Lane Simonian
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2014 7:13 PM

On a much less technical level, you are right to assume that Alzheimer's disease is reversible.  The only question in my mind is whether it is hundred percent reversible.