RSS Feed Print
chaga Russian fungi
alz+
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2015 2:58 PM

http://www.chagatrade.ru/

This grows on birch trees where I live near Lake Superior. A man from my church had stage 4 lung cancer, he took chemo 1 round and chaga and got a total clear scan last week.

other man in church is bringing me some, and a woman member from Russia is showing me how to make a drink out of it.

the active ingredients are supposed to help brain function. I have no idea how to understand how it works but am going to try it.

will let you know what happens.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2015 9:38 PM

Rather technical but here is part of the answer.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15630179

Keep us informed

alz+
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 7:55 AM

Rather technical but here is part of the answer.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15630179

Keep us informed

from link found on page above:

2007;31(3-4):191-200.

Chaga mushroom extract inhibits oxidative DNA damage in lymphocytes of patients with inflammatory bowel disease.

Abstract

Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) is partly caused by oxidative stress from free radicals and reduced antioxidant levels. Using hydrogen peroxide to induce oxidative stress in vitro in peripheral lymphocytes we investigated the induction of DNA damage supplemented with ethanolic extract of Chaga mushroom as a protective antioxidant. Lymphocytes were obtained from 20 IBD patients and 20 healthy volunteers. For treatment, a constant H_{2}O_{2 } dose (50 microg/ml) was used with variable doses of Chaga extract (10-500 microg/ml). DNA damage was evaluated in 50 cells per individual and dose using the Comet assay (making 1000 observations per experimental point ensuring appropriate statistical power). Chaga supplementation resulted in a 54.9% (p Conclusively, Chaga extract reduces oxidative stress in lymphocytes from IBD patients and also healthy individuals when challenged in vitro. Thus, Chaga extract could be a possible and valuable supplement to inhibit oxidative stress in general.

PMID: 18997282 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

OK, I am going for it.

By the way, your suggestion on witch hazel for hives worked. I scrubbed my body with lavender shampoo and baking soda, then rinsed and applied compress of witch hazel. Itching stopped.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 8:18 AM

I think this is it in general. Alzheimer's disease is caused by oxidative stress which include DNA damage that can lead to the death of neurons. Several plants and fungi can partially reverse oxidative stress and therefore have the potential to partially reverse Alzheimer's disease.

Some plant/fungi compounds probably should not be taken with other "blood thinners" or diabetes medications, and some more research needs to be done on some of them for side effects, but many natural compounds (not all of them) are relatively safe.

I am so glad that the witch hazel along with the lavender shampoo and baking soda helped clear up the hives. I thought there was a good chance but did not know for sure until now.

alz+
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 8:35 AM

http://www.chagaknowledge.com/chagascience.htm

not sure how much this site is real science but has excellent picture of what chaga looks like. the older the birch tree the stronger the fungi properties.

waiting to have Russian woman who drinks it every day show me how to make the tea and a vodka version.

I do not drink alcohol or even use it in mouthwash so not sure about that.

it claims to lower blood sugar too. There is no question that the man from our church who drinks it every day now in a tea went from stage 4 lung cancer to clear, and he took it because other people who live near by had also treated their cancer with chaga.

Hope I get my ability to do things back. I miss gardening and working on a book.

LANE - one who itches knows the value of a cure! thanks again, posted that result on hives to CGvr boards for all the silent tormented scratchers.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2015 10:52 AM

Thank you alz+ for the picture of the chaga Russian fungi and for the link to the many scientific articles. I had begun to look up studies on it, but it is nice to have so many in one place to access.

Thank you, too, for sharing the information on witch hazel. I have never had hives but can imagine how terrible the itching must be.

alz+
Posted: Sunday, August 9, 2015 6:24 PM

week 2 of Chaga?

found out my friend n Alaska has been drinking Chaga tea for years! She said I was taking too much, and the little chunks tea is made from can be re-used 3 times.

I have been out of bed and done some (minor) cleaning. I don't think it is making my brain better yet, but not worse.

It does not taste bad, like a strong brown tea.. My hope was to get me moving more and I did walk more than before but that is complicated by long time erratic heart beat.

Anyway, feel okay, have cried a few times ( had not been able to cry in a year) and I am peeing more, my skin spots are fading, have not had hives but for one day a few minutes.

posting article on bacteria as cause of alz which is what I suspected. who knows?

Eden Desjardins
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2015 12:37 PM

I'm a bit suspicious of the extent of how helpful this fungus actually is. It may be moderately helpful but such low quantities surely can't have much of an impact.
alz+
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 1:53 PM

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22135889

Abstract

The medicinal mushroom Chaga, Inonotus obliquus (Pers.:Fr.) Pilát (Hymenochaetaceae), has been used in folk medicine in Russia, Poland, and most of the Baltic countries, as a cleansing and disinfecting measure, and as decoctions for stomach diseases, intestinal worms, liver and heart ailments, and cancer treatment. Many reports have been published concerning the health promoting functions of this mushroom, including antibacterial, hepatoprotective, anti-inflammatory, antitumor, and antioxidant activities.

Chaga fraction elicited anticancer effects which were attributed to decreased tumor cell proliferation, motility and morphological changes induction. Of note is the fact that it produced no or low toxicity in tested normal cells. The data presented could open interesting paths for further investigations of fraction IO4 as a potential anticancer agent.

I am not looking for a miracle cure. Not suggesting anyone else should try it.

That it has been used for 1000 years seems pretty good esp since it exhibits no toxicity which one can not say for current ALZ meds.

Reminds me of the resistance to using cannabis with the claim there "is no scientific research to back up claims it has any medicinal qualities."

2000 years of use as a medicine before being made illegal with no toxic side effects. The prevention of science based research since making it illegal does not stop me from finding what works for me.

Love your avatar by the way. All the best to you.

alz+
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2015 10:51 AM

I have been gifted enough Chaga to continue my experiment for a year!

Husband makes the tea and it is in glass pitcher in refrigerator. I drink 6 - 12 oz a day and have cut back by color. I was drinking a straight dark coffee colored amount and was told it is effective looking like regular tea, more golden than brown.

As to changes perceived and noticed by others. ...

I have been up and about every day of last week despite heart issues.

Last 3 years I have spent most of each day in bed.

Finishing tasks: I could NOT separate my book collections or give things away for years. This past week I was able to sort out 200 books and give them away.

Unless you are incapacitated in starting and finishing tasks you have no idea what a difference this is in cognitive function. Huge.

I made a vegetarian chili for myself.

Have wanted a bed in downstairs for 3 years, bought a Temperpedic single mattress at a garage sale over a year ago but tiny house had no space for it. Last week I was able to (physically and mentally) rearrange kitchen living space, order a box spring and have it delivered, purchase twin sheets on eBay, and make my bed.

I invited people to visit us at home. (never thought this would happen)

People at my church (there are 8 of us who show up most Sundays) told me yesterday I seemed so "clear" and said "your speech is easier to understand" and that I "look so much healthier and stronger".

Because of this improvement, one member has offered me Chaga for "life" - he usually gives it free to cancer patients. I am his first ALZ person.

My hunger for sugars has diminished.

I think it was after Chaga I realized the "anxiety" I felt was not panic based or an anxious temperament (as I was told), and thought to check my pulse, which led to diagnosis of atrial tachycardia, and now have appointment with cardiologist in 2 days. This runs in my Mother's side of family with stroke and heart attacks. There is a med to control this.

not suggesting anyone try Chaga, and of course anecdotal evidence is not worthy of belief to most science people, but I plan to continue as long as possible.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2015 7:41 PM

I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed reading all of this. I always like to refer to anecdotal reports as case studies. And from my perspective, successive anecdotes are just as valuable as small clinical trials. I for one will be reading with great interest for you and for anyone else with dementia.
alz+
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2015 8:00 AM

Lane -

just want you to know that your clear presence, knowledge, and manner of interacting with people with dementia keeps me going.

My husband planted lavender in a flower box outside bedroom window and - ok this sounds crazy- I can ASK it to "blow me some fragrance" and it does. My husband has witnessed this.

needed relief from more arguing of CGvrs on younger onset boards. going to cardiologist tomorrow and Thursday husband will drive me to a group 50 miles away to practice my 5 minute speech for alz walk.

I do not know for sure I will live long enough to give it so going to print it out and have it read.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2015 9:07 AM

Thank you alz+ for such a great compliment.

I can almost smell the lavender from here.

I hope that your appointment with the cardiologist goes well.

I know that your speech will be well-received. Your voice is so important to so many people.

onward
Posted: Wednesday, September 2, 2015 12:49 PM

alz+ wrote:

I have been gifted enough Chaga to continue my experiment for a year!...I plan to continue as long as possible.

alz+, it's very interesting to hear about your experiences with Chaga mushroom. Are you still seeing improvements? Please update us when you're able. Thanks.

alz+
Posted: Saturday, January 2, 2016 12:34 PM

during my Chaga experiment we began house problem fixing, which snowballed and it still is not done, living in a bedroom, no kitchen or furniture. So my routine and supply has been iffy.

anyway...I do feel more vitality when I drink a big glass full a day. It may be cognitively things are easier for me to accomplish something, it may be I feel stronger...not really the word I want. Within an hour of drinking it I find myself out of bed and now walking further and swimming.

when I take chaga tea I am able to walk a mile loop of country road by my house without having to sit down during the walk 4 times to get air and also do not cough up white foam. I also walk up the last incline without stopping.

hard to separate the will and urge to go for a walk from the physical vigor that seems to come from drinking minerals.

The cardiologist gave me a medication, prescribed 2 pills/day. I take half of one pill in morning only and have not had tachycardia since.

Today I swam/worked out in a pool for 35 minutes. I intend to get to 1 hour of water work out within 2 months. I was virtually in bed 22 hours day for more than a year before this. I am dependent on my husband to make a fresh batch every week. some taste lousy and yet I am ready to drink it down. Many times it has a flavor of coffee. My supply is fresh cut locally and given to me as a gift from church member.

Also going to start on hot peppers, hot chilies - a vegetarian Mexican based diet as the hot peppers seem to clear up fog brain.

check this out:

https://www.facebook.com/gary.chandler.399   on how foods help function.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Sunday, January 3, 2016 6:14 PM

Thanks for this update, alz+.  I am happy that the chaga tea is helping considerably with your physical stamina.  I hope the home repairs are done soon.

The key ingredient in red chili peppers is capsaicin.  Like THC in marijuana it may be one of those cases where it only works after a person has memory loss (certain receptors which can contribute to memory loss are damaged in Alzheimer's disease; unfortunately the receptors needed for short-term memory are damaged as well).  Both THC and capsaicin then act as antioxidants.  The animal models at least indicate that capsaicin is helpful for improving memory.