RSS Feed Print
Someone should be able to put an end to this disease
Lane Simonian
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2016 9:39 AM

If you understand the causes of a disease, the treatment should become easier.  So first to try to outline the causes of Alzheimer's disease.

Factor One: High levels of myo-inositol due to high glucose levels (a high sugar and/or high carbohydrate diet), high blood pressure due to high sodium levels, and Down syndrome.

Myo-inositol is converted into phosphatidyinositol 3,4 biphosphate (PIP2).  This compound can either lead to cell growth when acted upon by phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase or cell death when acted upon by phospholipase C.

Factor Two: Inhibition of the neuroprotective phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/Akt pathway (presenilin 1 gene mutation, bisphosphonate osteoporosis drugs, and statins--although the latter two partially inhibit factor three).

Factor Three: Increased phospholipase C activity via receptor tyrosine kinases, g protein-coupled receptors, or other activators of g protein signalling (high glucose levels, too much insulin, high fructose corn syrup, smoking, bacterial, viral, or fungal infections in the brain, acute or chronic overuse of acetaminophen, the ApoE4 gene, traumatic brain injuries, particulate matter in air pollution, aluminium fluoride, sodium fluoride, dioxin in Agent Orange, polyethoxylated tallow amine in the herbicide Roundup, organophosphate pesticides, industrial solvents such as toulene and benzene, and psychological stress, among others).

Factor Three leads to the amyloid precursor protein, amyloid oligomers, amyloid plaques (the first two of which further increase phospholipase C activity), and hyperphosphorylated and nitrated tau proteins.  More importantly factor three via protein kinase C and NMDA receptor activation leads to the formation of peroxynitrite and caspase-3 which kill neurons.  Peroxynitrite also inhibits the synthesis and release of neurotransmitters needed for the retrieval of short-term memory, sleep, mood, social recognition, and alertness and via the nitration of tau they inhibit neurotransmitter signalling.

Polyphenols inhibit the formation of peroxynitrite, scavenge them, and reverse part of the nitro-oxidative damage that leads to Alzheimer's disease.  This is why a Mediterranean diet high in polyphenols both reduces the risk for Alzheimer's disease and usually leads to a longer life span with the disease.

Certain polyphenols such as the terpene eugenol and ferulic acid and syringic acid effectively inhibit peroxynitrite formation, scavenge peroxynitrite, and reverse part of the nitro-oxidative damage caused by peroxynitrite.  This includes eugenol in various essential oils via aromatherapy (clove, bay laurel, rosemary, lemon balm, for instance), eugenol in CBD oil (as the essential oil in marijuana), and ferulic acid and syringic acid in heat processed ginseng and Korean red ginseng.  CBD oil and panax ginseng also contain other compounds that are peroxynitrite scavengers.  Clinical trials have indicated that certain polyphenols such as eugenol, syringic acid, and ferulic acid can partially reverse Alzheimer's disease.

Serenoa
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2016 5:01 AM

The treatments you are recomending have been shown to be beneficial and to have no serious side effects. If people believe you have pinpointed the causes of AD, or if they are totally confused by your explainations, your proposed interventions will at minimum do no harm. What doctor would advise against following a Mediterranean diet, eleminating sugar, avoiding toxins, and taking anti-oxidants? Only a doctor who doesn't want you taking control of your own health to whatever degree posible. A healthy lifestyle is not a sacrifice, it's a better way to live, and it is powerful medicine.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2016 9:10 AM

Thank you, Serenoa.  The two main negative comments on this approach is do no harm and the studies are two small.  It is true that certain essential oils can increase anxiety in some people and the long term use of panax ginseng has not been evaluated. On the other hand, ferulic acid for the treatment of neuropyschiatric problems in dementia did not appear to produce any negative side effects.  

There is a double standard being applied.  Many people don't blink an eye at recommending various antipsychotics for the treatment of dementia despite many of those drugs having potentially very severe side effects and yet will warn against taking ferulic acid because it may potentially have side effects.

The same double standard applies to small studies.  Small studies involving natural products are dismissed as meaningless whereas small studies involving drugs are hailed as potential breakthroughs.

At the very least, we should be able to accept that living a healthy lifestyle and avoiding where possible environmental toxins reduces the risk for Alzheimer's disease.  And that a Mediterranean diet both reduces the risk for Alzheimer's disease and helps to slow down the progression of the disease.

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2016 6:05 PM

The first thing my neurologist said to me in his office was, "Get that blood pressure down!"  My bp was 160/100 on meds.  The last time I was well my bp was 110/60.  I truly believe the slow elevation of my bp has a lot to do with my slightly abnormal MRI and cognitive impairment diagnosis.  I also had slightly elevated blood glucose.   I can't follow the chemistry like I used to, but I know that following Best Practices with eating lots of antioxidants and omega -3 fats is helping me.

I don't have time to wait for the scientists to pursue all of their clinical trials.  Thank you Lane for your helpful posts.  Thanks also to the other members who post on the Clinical Trials board.

Iris L. 

Lane Simonian
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2016 6:38 PM

You are doing it right, Iris.  The antioxidants in a Mediterranean diet not only help to reduce the risk of Alzheimer's disease (and likely some other forms of dementia) they also help to slow down cognitive decline in people with Alzheimer's disease or other forms of memory loss.  Omega 3-fatty acids may also be helpful for some people with cognitive impairment.

I am grateful, too, for the contributions made on this forum and elsewhere on the other forums.  When I first joined this board, this was a very active forum.  We are down to a few active participants now, but they are worth their weight in gold.