RSS Feed Print
Trial with studying MCI and Bipolar disease together??
Mae88
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 4:14 AM

I am looking for a study focusing on MCI with dual diagnosis of Bipolar disease. I have found nothing on the government sites. I've called all my local facilities/offices. I am not considered for the MCI studies because of BPD. Then vise versa for BPD having MCI. No one can tell me "for sure" if my memory and concentration and focus will return to baseline (approx 2014). I've had BPD for 24 years (high functioning) and MCI at least 2 years (diagnosed by full workup 6/2016). 

I am following best practices. I am not on any dementia meds .... yet. My neurologist may consider something this May when I see her for follow up. 

I see a geriatric psychiatrist (specializes in cognitive along with psychiatric), neurologist and psychologist. All are excellent. 

Best way I can explain it is..... if I had diabetes (which I don't) for 24 years, my kidneys most likely would be slightly diminished or not working at 100% power. A "glitch" you might say. Well, my BPD brain after 24 years has a glitch. 

So..... any benificial advise?  

Lane Simonian
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 10:37 AM

One common feature of bipolar disorder and mild cognitive impairment is high levels of myo-inositol.  

The preclinical and clinical MRS [magnetic resonance spectroscopy] findings were generally supportive of the involvement of myo-inositol in bipolar disorder and its treatment.

mI [myo-inositol] levels are elevated already at asymptomatic stages of AD.

Lithium and sodium valporate lower myo-inositol levels but can have very serious side effects.

Chronic lithium and sodium valproate both decrease the concentration of myo-inositol and increase the concentration of inositol monophosphates in rat brain.

I looked to see if aromatherapy might be helpful for bipolar disorder (there is considerable evidence that aromatherapy is helpful for cognition).  This summary seems to fit my search efforts:

There have been little, if any, conclusive studies done on the effectiveness of treating bipolar disorder with essential oils.

What is there is mostly testimonials.  Certain essential oils via aromatherapy such as lavender do have mild anti-anxiety effects that could potentially be useful.  A highly trained aromatherapist would be able to provide better information.

The_Sun_Still_Rises
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 11:36 AM

Bipolar is usually regulated with drugs....and I am glad that you have found a way manage it for 24 years (YEA!)...let's count that as a huge achievement.  The meds for bipolar are counter-indicated in dementia...and are though MAKE dementia WORSE....indeed, they may even be causing your MCI.  So that leaves you in a terrible bind....of choosing between treating or your brain.  But, this is why it specifically excluded from the trials...is my guess. 

Also....no one tends treat MCI unless they suspect it really the early stages dementia....in that it progressing. 

Hoping you better luck finding something that matches your criteria. 

<3

Mae88
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 12:48 PM

Thanks for all the helpful information!!  My doctors have said my BPD meds affect cognition. I have been on multiple "cocktails" and have found one that's working. Without being medicated I would be dead, literally. Psych meds I think have the worse side effects. As Sun said.... I'm stuck. As for aromatherapy I find for anxiety lavender, eucyliptis, spearmint, vanilla beneficial. (Not all mixed together lol). 

Thanks again. 

grandmalynda
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 10:31 AM

GGood morning mae88.  I too was dxd with bipolar about 30 yrs. ago.  I was dxd with early onset alz 2 yrs. ago.  My new neuro stopped discussing dementia with me as soon as she found out that I have bpd.  She switched in mid-stream and said that the problem must be bpd.  She never even bothered to look at my records from previous neuro, nor did she look at the mri.

My psychiatrist is very satisfied with my stabilization.  She encouraged me to pursue neuropsych testing which is scheduled for late April.

I have also searched for clinical trials that will accept this dual dx.  No luck so far but I 'm not ready to stop searching yet.

Best wishes to you on your journey forward!

--Lynda