RSS Feed Print
Vielight Neuro Gamma
Andrew60
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2018 8:51 AM

Has anybody heard or tried this home based treatment called “Vielight Neuro Gamma”?

https://www.seeker.com/led-light-therapy-could-radically-change-the-treatment-of-brain-diseas-2294712527.html

Lane Simonian
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2018 9:35 AM

It will be interesting to see how well this works.  The best part of this treatment from a scientific perspective is the following:

In conclusion, PBM [photobiomodulation] exerted a pro-survival action through selectively activating the PI3K/Akt pathway and suppressing GSK3β/Bax pathway.

The phosphatidylinositol 3 kinase/Akt pathway is damaged in Alzheimer's disease.  This is the pathway that increases blood flow and oxygen levels in the brain, increases glucose transport in the brain (and thus increases energy production in the brain), leads to the regeneration of neurons and synapses, reduces the death of neurons, and improves neurotransmissions.  So maybe certain forms of light therapy will have some positive effect in the treatment of Alzheiemer's disease.

markus8174
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2018 11:52 PM

Sounds like snake oil, but interesting. I'd like to see a follow up study, or some sort of independent review. The cost of the full range device seems exorbitant unless you have a lot of disposable income to just throw around. If anyone has tried this and gotten positive results I'd love to see them post here. I'm not well off, but if it helps I'd be willing to shine a special light up my wife's nose for a few hours a week. I'm just not sure she would be willing.
LDDaughter
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 10:08 AM

There is a small clinical trial in progress on this. I do think this sounds promising. 

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03160027

LDDaughter
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 10:15 AM

Here's a related trial that hasn't started yet.  Not sure where you are located, but a call to the researcher might be interesting. Maybe you could find out if your loved one is eligible or if there are other related trials in other parts of the country.  Of course not everyone gets to use the equipment in a trial. How much does it cost?  I think if I was in the same situation I might consider getting one...

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT03405662

wolfewoman
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2018 5:28 PM

Hi Lane,

As I discussed with you before I use a VieLight led nose light on my mom every day for 25 min.  We are suppose to do it twice but she isn't thrilled it so I don't force it.  It cost $500.  The company wanted me to buy the more expensive head set but I wanted to try this first.  I read about this light in the AARP magazine.  

It's too early to determine if it is working.  Plus her Dr also put her on Exelon patch and I give her THCA CBD oil and THC gummies.

I think I'm going to try it on myself and see if I can do those advanced Suduko puzzles faster.

CathieJ
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 8:48 AM

I did purchase both the head and nose gear for my husband, who is believed to have FTD. I can't really say whether it works or not. I could probably tell a lot better, but he won't use it on a regular basis...