RSS Feed Print
Inhalable Curcumin
Steve3D
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2018 6:55 PM

As I'm new to this AD world (my wife was "officially" diagnosed last January), I'm not up on what you folks have been discussing for longer than you probably care to acknowledge.  All I know is, so far, this ain't a fun Club to join.  I'd really rather be collecting stamps.  Or brass spittoons, for that matter.

Anyhow, for the last month, I've been taking my wife to a Naturopathic MD for acupuncture and dietary advice.  Worst case, no harm done, right?  But, as my wife is the doctor's first AD patient, to her credit, the doctor has been looking into things she never looked at before.  One of the things she showed me today was a NIH Public Access Author Manuscript on Inhalable Curcumin, published on January 1, 2015 (Richard McClure, et al).

Again, as I'm really new to this, I should probably assume (actually love that word, despite everyone's opinion) that you've all read this.  To all of you in that position, I apologize for dredging up old stuff and wasting your time.  But, in case there's somebody new out there like me (totally ignorant of the AD research world around me), it might be interesting.  Hey, it can't hurt any more than it already does.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2018 11:13 PM

Steve, I came across this study as well in 2015 and posted it on the caregiver's forum.  Recently the discussion there was revived, so I will provide the link so you can read different people's perspectives on inhalable curcumin.

www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx?g=posts&t=2147512607

I hope some of this helps your wife.

Steve3D
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2018 3:05 PM

Thanks, Lane.  Being a new kid on the block  means I'll probably drag up stuff everybody's already seen.  I appreciate your patience.  And, I appreciate your research.  Life really sucks right now, and I'm grasping at straws, just like everyone else in this position.  I told my wife's doctor that, if I saw a study claiming rubbing elephant dung behind my wife's ears might help, I'd be first in line at the Phoenix Zoo tomorrow morning, and I'd bring my own shovel.  This disease makes for a strange, dark ride.
Lane Simonian
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2018 5:44 PM

No worries, Steve.  Many items come up numerous times on these boards--indeed it is impossible for one person ever to discover or to keep track of everything that has been posted.

If your wife's Naturopathic MD has other suggestions please continue to post them.  The search for potential answers is of great importance.

This is such a difficult disease to witness and to experience.  Words are of little to no help, but being engaged on these boards seems almost therapeutic at times for those who have loved ones with Alzheimer's disease and those of us who have lost loved ones to Alzheimer's.

Molokai16
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2018 8:59 PM

Hi Steve,

I, too, am a new kid on the block. My spouse, age 59, first went to a neurologist in September of this year. We only went cuz his talent agent was "concerned" my spouse was reportedly showing up too early for jobs and got confused using his new cell phone. She was concerned about him but also concerned about her reputation as an agent when a client acts peculiarly. Even though, once inside the booth, he is brilliant so no complaints about his abilities. However, his agent demanded he see a neurologist. I thought I found the best neurologist, but I was wrong. He had my husband's drivers license suspended after one meeting - with just a perfunctory cognitive office test. We both went into a tailspin. Stress not good for dementia. Got MRI, EEG, blood tests and cognitive tests. Seeing new neurologist this Monday. Second opinion. Not looking forward to it cuz more bad news could easily await us. It is so easy to go to the dark side. People on these boards say there is no cure, get financial affairs in order, go on vacation while you still can, we'll be with you until the end, etc. What a total bummer. I, too,  would put elephant poop on him if I thought it would help. Janice

Steve3D
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2018 2:02 PM

Hi, Janice.

I'm so very sorry to hear that you might be in The Club That Nobody Wants To Join.  I of course read that name somewhere in here.  It sure fits.  Gotta get t-shirts made.

My wife's neurologist did the usual tests, MRIs and whatnot (couldn't help myself - I cried watching the cognitive tests).  As is probably usual, the neurologist wrote a prescription for Namenda, then basically told us to go home and get the legal stuff in order.  I've now done the lawyer stuff.

This is where folks like Lane, Larry The Runner, our naturopath and all the others come into play.  There is information out there, too much for one person to find or digest.  Will it work?  Only prolong the inevitable horror?  All I know is, we all need to pull together in this nightmare.  

Interestingly enough, it also now becomes an Econ 101 game:  if X is income and Y is outgo, and Y is greater than X, there's an issue.  I'm sure my wife and I are not the only lower middle class folks with this problem.  Do we spend money for acupuncture, supplements and elephant dung now, with a future of expensive memory care facilities coming up?  Or just give up and save the money for that eventual outcome?  The moral and ethical guilt trip?

I'll bet a shiny dime I'm not the only person out here who spends nights wondering about all this.

And my very sincere thanks to you all for allowing me to go on and on about it.  

Steve