RSS Feed Print
Gingivitis, Inflammation, and Alzheimer's
Larrytherunner
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2019 3:55 PM

This is an very important article on ginivitus and the quest for a dementia cure. It indicates that ginivitus a common cause of gum disease with about 30 per cent of Americans infected, gingivitis is a very invasive bacteria that not only effects our teeth but also increases the chances of Alzheimer's and dementia, heart disease, men's prostate enlargement, Parkinson's, and many other diseases. These and other diseases are affected by the increased levels of inflammation.I would say that the best way to get rid of the life-threatening gingivatis is daily long and careful brushing. For me I started noticing about 10 years ago that there were indentations at my gum line indicating periodontis. Before I was brushing my teeth twice a day morning and night, about two minutes total each session. After my discovery, I started brushing three times a day, 10minutes each session. ( I couldn't see my teeth very because I was very much longsighted).

Anytime I have food, I brush my teeth afterward. I start by by brushing up and down, between my teeth. With the right toothbrooth and a lot of practice, I can remove all the food between my teeth. (I prefer this over flossing because some of my teeth are tightly packed.). Afterward, I brush side to side to and brush along the gum line. That was about 10 years ago when I was in my early 60s and I became to feel alot better afterward, and my gum line stopped receding.

You should go see a dentist you can trust if you have unlimited funds. If not, go get professional teeth cleaning and try to resist the dentist sales talk. I really don't think to highly of American dentists who seem to charge with impunity.

It seems that inflammation due to gingivitis, and a weakened Blood-Brain-Barrier (BBB) are two conditions commonly present in dementia patients. Is it possible that when these conditions exist together, the possibility of developing dementia and Alzheimer's is great. The article goes on to say inflammation due to gingivitis may be causing much damage all over the body. Incidently due to increased inflammation, weakness in the Blood-Brain-Barrier (BBB) is a common characteristic of MCI, Alzheimer's and other dementias. There are only three Asthma drugs available that can block luekotrienes that can stop these signaling molecules from penetrating the brain cells and starting the inflammation cycle and also weakening the BBB. These drugs have all gone generic and are being sold worldwide cheaply at at prices the Big Pharma won't tolerate. Big Pharma will never clinical trial this type of widely produced and cheap generic. I myself am getting montelukast (Singulair) getting ninety 10ml tablets, a months supply for 45 dollars.

As far the university developing the antibototics to used to treat gingervitus, it will be a long time in the future before the antibiotics are clinically tested, and deals are made with big Phrama to buy the patent and put it on the market. No doubt if it is a success in 20 years, you will see it all over TV and one treatment will be selling for 10,000 dollars or more. Meanwhile we have a less expensive treatment right now. Brush your teeth often and long, brush between your teeth and floss, to remove food particles. Practice makes perfect.

I grew up in rural East Tennessee, and I have seem how rural people in that area have a lot of dental problems. I was fortunate to grow up in an upper middle class neighborhood, but many of my classmates didn't. I always had dental care but many did not. I have read so much about rural American having little access to dental care, and are living shorter lives, declining health, more Alzheimer's and dementia, higher smoking rate (nickatine is temporary pain killer) ,cancer rates, kidney failure, and many other problems. Could inflammation from gingivitis due to no proper dental care be one of the problems.

Meanwhile these tips are free and you don't have to pay 20 thousands dollars a year like Dr Breslen and his associates get. Furthermore you don't have to buy  my book which I have yet to write.

http://time.com/4891340/inflammation-mouth-breast-cancer/

http://www.newscientist.com/article/2191814-we-may-finally-know-what-causes-alzheimers-and-how-to-stop-it/

https://www.alzforum.org/news/research-news/absent-av-blood-brain-barrier-breakdown-predicts-cognitive-impairment

ccrandal
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2019 9:40 PM

I'm 57 and when I was younger never really took care of my teeth. A few years ago, had gum problems. One tooth in the back was 8mm deep pocket  and loss of bone in jaw. It was pulled out.

At the time I never flossed, and I did minimal tooth brushing with a manual brush. Since that time I have improved greatly with the dental care daily.

#1) Electric brush, and not the kind at Walmart where the entire head moves. Bought it off of ebay  and the part that moves is only on one one side, not the entire head. That way, when you have it all the way in the the back of the back teeth, it doesn't slow down from the pressure of your cheek.  It's the very back teeth that goes first because it so hard to get at.

#2) I no longer use toothpaste I use bentonite clay, (also ebay) it's is less abrasive than toothpaste but yet polishes better, teeth are not so yellow as before.

#3) I use waterpik. When I first used it at the lowest pressure it used to hurt and my gums bled. That no longer happens, so I know it works. I have increased the pressure over time since gums are no longer inflamed and I point it directly at the gum line as if I am power-washing a porch into all the nooks and crannies that a floss thread couldn't possibly get at.

The dentist says you can never get the gums back but only to keep daily washing of the junk that is in between the gums and the tooth.

Larrytherunner
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2019 1:36 AM

Congradulations, Crandal, you have done well. Not only are you preserving your teeth but you are preserving your brain, heart, kidneys, and many other organs we all need. May you live an extra ten years.
dolor
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2019 2:32 PM

Thanks for this info Larry.

It's good to see you posting again.

And yay me, I can check off another box. I've lost count of the number of root canals I've had...

Larrytherunner
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2019 1:58 PM

Dolor. I just took a break. Speaking about dental care, some of us get a lot more dental care than we need, a great expense, and others have to do without the basics.

I think gum disease and gingivitis are more than just a dental problems because there is growing evidence that shows that this bacteria can spread through out the body to stimulate the immune system and cause increased low level inflammation, and increase the chances of developing other diseases such as Alzheimer's as we age. Too bad gum disease is treated as dental problem and not as a medical problem covered by insurance. I would say that many dentists are supermarketers who would rather sell patients on expensive procedures than treat for gum disease.

It is a good idea to have a life long habit to brush your teeth correctly, do it often, and for at least five minutes or longer so you will save money on dental bills, possibly have less inflammation as you age, and live a longer, heathier life.

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2019 12:31 AM

Hmmm...could low level gingivitis be why I developed systemic lupus over thirty years ago?  Thanks for posting Larry!  I'll read those articles when I get to the library.

Iris

Tom(ek)
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 4:48 PM

Something for you Lane Simonian - more details:

Porphyromonas gingivalis in Alzheimer’s disease brains: Evidence for disease causation and treatment with small-molecule inhibitors

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/5/1/eaau3333

Scientists from Jagiellonian University in Krakow - Poland were ivolved in this research.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/gingipain 

The name "gingipain" was found many years ago by professor Potempa:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/01/190123165002.htm

Lane Simonian
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 9:31 AM

I always enjoy seeing and reading your posts Tom(ek).

Gingipains activate a g protein-coupled receptor and the oveactivation of these receptors is often the source of neuroinflammation and nitro-oxidative stress (the same is also true of leukotrienes) in Alzheimer's disease.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22367283

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6110855/

https://www.pnas.org/content/102/28/9936

There are two problems, though.  Many factors overactivate g protein-coupled receptors and can thus be triggers for Alzheimer's disease.  Inhibiting the activity or removing any one (gingipains, leukotrienes, amyloid oligomers, etc.) will only have a significant effect if that factor is the only one causing the onset of the disease.  Beyond that, in some people other types of receptors (especially receptor tyrosine kinases) begin the disease process (too much glucose or insulin, for instance).

Neuroinflammation is a problem in Alzheimer's disease in part because it leads to more oxidative and nitrostative stress, but those problems exist even in the absence of micorglia activation (the brain's main immune cells).  The key to treating the disease is to inhibit the formation of peroxynitrite (the main nitro-oxidant in Alzheimer's disease), scavenge it, or repair part of its damage.

Great work by the Polish researchers. 

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Tuesday, October 1, 2019 2:10 PM

The dentist has old information. People have had their gums heal, pockets shrink, enamel can remineralize.  You want to look for CPP-ACP. There's also a gum with recaldent,

Then there is Xylitol.  A sugar substitute that helps keep plaque from adhering to teeth.

“Xylitol may be the biggest advance against cavities since (the discovery of) fluoride”.

My dentist isn't going to drill a tiny cavity in one of my teeth because between my ultrasound toothbrush and my M1 paste, I bet I can get it to remineralise. An old ex of mine was determined he could strengthen the tooth by brushing a tonne, and lo and behold, he went back to the dentist a few weeks later, no more cavity.

My dentist told me that fluoride is ruining his business. There is a high fluoride paste out there are well.

But I already have fluoridosis, tooth discolouring on my back teeth from living in cities with different levels of fluoride in the water. And there are always the stories about fluoride being great for teeth, but not for inside the body.

MI Paste and MI Paste Plus are the only products for professional use containing the active ingredient RECALDENT™ (CPP-ACP), a special milk-derived protein that has a unique ability to release bio-available calcium and phosphate (and fluoride in MI Paste Plus) to tooth surfaces.

Product Image 

Image: MI Paste® and MI Paste Plus®   

https://www.cochrane.org/CD007868/ORAL_fluoride-toothpastes-different-strengths-preventing-tooth-decay

Before a cavity forms in a tooth, the surface of the tooth gets  demineralised, losing calcium and phosphate molecules, xylitol penetrates into this area of enamel and promotes remineralisation, thus repairing the tooth surface before a cavity develops.

Due to its very broad and effective action against major decay-causing factors, xylitol has been described as a ‘magic bullet’ against dental decay, just as important, if not more important, than fluoride.  The issue with fluoride is making sure your child is getting the correct amount: enough to help protect the teeth and not too much to cause fluorosis.  Xylitol doesn’t have this problem as higher than normal levels don’t have any adverse effects on the tooth surfaces.

Xylitol has been incorporated into chewing gum(Wrigglies Extra Professional and Recaldent), and toothpastes ‘Little Kids’ for under-5 year olds and ‘Fresh’ for teenagers and adults.