RSS Feed Print
Three years of taking Montelukast (Singulair)
Larrytherunner
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2019 1:33 PM

I have been taking montelukast three years now (started in Feb 2016) and I feel so much better. I don't have the extreme mental fatigue anymore or occasional confusion that I once had, and don't feel anxiety and depression any more. I also sleep more soundly and deeper and feel much more rested. Reducing inflammation due to aging using this very safe drug has a lot of benefits, both mentally and physically. A lot of early stage patients complain of brain fog, which may be simular to my feeling of extreme mental fatigue. Perhaps this drug can also cause brain fog to go away.

I am sure that this drug has brought me back to normal because any time I have stop taking the drug for a few days, the extreme mental fatigue comes back. That is the way this anti-inflammatory drug works. When I stop taking it, the neuro-inflammation due to my aging overactive immune system comes back. I have vowed not to stop taking it again.

I am hopeful that the FDA approved clinical trials going on in Canada will successful this year. Unfortunately they are using the low dosage of 10mg once a day, which was FDA approved for asthma, which in my experience is not enough for best results for Alzheimer's, but it is possible they could get some small improvement. I myself am taking one 10mg tablet three times a day and am completely back to normal. It is unfortunate that this small pharmaceutical company sponsoring the trial did not have an extra million plus dollars to run an extra trial to test the safety of increasing the dosage. Evidently they are hoping that showing an improvement, however small, will bring investors with more money to pay for a trial to increase the dosage. These types of problems would not happen with a major drug company with big financial resources, but then major drug companies aren't interested in paying for FDA trials for generic drugs.

I firmly believe that this very safe drug will not only be an effective treatment for treating dementia and Alzheimer's due to aging, but as a safe anti-inflammatory drug, it can turn down the overactive immune system in older people and improve their health in many ways and extend their lives. 

You can get more info about montelukast by googling together the words - montelukast Alzheimer's. Here's hoping we will have some positive results this year.

LDDaughter
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 4:47 PM

This is wonderful news!  Thank you for sharing your success with this.  Hoping the study even at 10mg will be effective!
Genericuser8888
Posted: Thursday, April 4, 2019 11:27 PM

Thank you for this information.  I am in investor in the company doing the montelukast trial.  The company is Intelgenx, and the trial is currently recruiting at multiple sites across Canada.

I can provide a list of the sites if anyone wants it, but it is available on clinicaltrials.gov by searching for IntelGenx under the "Other terms" search blank.

You mentioned that you were taking the 10mg pill 3x a day, but the trial is using oral film, not pills.  The oral film absorbs through the blood vessels in the mouth and doesn't go through the digestive system, so it acts quicker and is more potent because the liver doesn't filter out any of the medicine before it hits the brain. So, hopefully, the dosages that they are using will work.  Of course, that study is double-blind using a placebo, so some trial participants won't see any difference even if the drug does work.

Thank you for letting us know about your experience with montelukast.  I have a friend who's stepfather has Alzheimer's, my secretary at work has a family member with it, and my own great grandmother had neuro-degenerative issues in her latter years.  So, I am hopeful that others experience the same result with montelukast that you report. 

Larrytherunner
Posted: Sunday, April 7, 2019 11:33 AM

Thanks for filling us in on the clinical trial. I emailed Dr Aigner about a year ago after I saw on clinicaltrials.gov that the dosage to be given was 7.5 mg once a day, which I believe is too low. Dr Aigner replied that he was aware about the concern over dosage. The reason that I believed the people in charge picked 7.5 mg was that this dosage of montelukast film is about the equivalent to a 10 mg tablet. Weeks later I checked the trial website and I saw that the dosage was upped to 10 mg a day.

I think that we will see positive results in the trial, but I still believe that giving multiple doses during a 24 hour period would give even better results.

Genericuser8888
Posted: Monday, April 8, 2019 11:01 PM

If I remember correctly, they are starting at 10mg and will look at midpoint data to see if a dosage increase is needed.  I am not sure, but I think they can go up to 30mg a day.  However, at the last conference call, the CEO said that based on the anecdotal data so far, he did not think a change in dosage would be needed.  Again, this is only based on anecdotal data of the double-blind study.   I would imagine that some people need higher doses than others.

Originally, they weren't going to discuss the midpoint data at all, so I view them being willing to discuss the midpoint data in a few months and publicly stating that the anecdotal data so far seemed to indicate that a dosing change would not be necessary....well, I view those as positive signs.  That's just my opinion, but that's how I feel.

I have a financial interest in the company, and I have friends and have had family with dementia (great grandmother) or related illnesses, so I have personal reasons to be optimistic and hopeful.  I am glad to hear that the drug seems effective to you, and I hope is effective for others as well.

Larrytherunner
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 6:49 AM

It is great to know that the CEO (Dr. Zerbe) is optimistic about the outcome of the phase 2 trial, and that some information on the midpoint data may be released in a few months.

The phase 1 trial showed that the Montelukast oral film had a 52 percent higher bioavailability compared to the Montelukast tablet. This means that the 10mg oral film is approximately equivalent to a 15mg tablet. This should result in more favorable outcomes than the 10mg tablet. We have been waiting a long time, so I am anxious to see some of these early results.