RSS Feed Print
Nasal spray as a direct route to the brain?
HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Monday, March 4, 2019 10:52 PM

Recently a tau drug showed promise in the 2nd clinical trial at 90mg, (30mg - 3x daily), then they scaled back the dose to 60 mg once daily for Clinical Trial 3 and surprise, surprise, it didn't work nearly as well. 

And it got shelved because it was poisoning the... wait.... was it liver or kidneys... point being WHY ON EARTH are we still sending drugs through our whole digestive system to get them just a few centimeters above the nose?

Larrytherunner
Posted: Wednesday, March 6, 2019 4:05 AM

Some drugs can not pass through the nasal membrane due to the structure of their molecule. But even if it could, some of the drug goes through the nasal membrane and some goes to the lungs and is going to get to the blood stream and go to the liver and kidneys anyway. A main reason that some medicines can work better as a nasal spray is that the medicine bypasses the digestive system (but not the liver and kidneys).
HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2019 5:58 PM

I guess that's why they are talking about pairing with focused ultrasound and nano bubbles, so they can direct the drug to wherever they want it to go, and of course, use a dosage that would be 97% less.

As you can tell, I am totally 'Pro' ultrasound. No scalpels, minimal drugs, sounds good to me.