RSS Feed Print
Gingko Benefits
Acoxe3
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 1:44 PM

Does anyone have any experience with ginkgo?  I have heard that though it does not prevent dementia (of course not!) it can improve symptoms of memory loss, agitation and delusions.  Thoughts?  Thanks so much!
Vik
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2019 12:06 AM

Acoxe, my neurologist recommended it and Gingseng. Just happened that i tried Gingseng first and vitamin B REALLY helpef with my brain fog and seemed to giv me a little more enwrgy.

Ive held off on the Gingko umtil the dementia progresses.more, but please let us know how it affected you if u decide to try it.  My only recommendation is that you ask ur doc and pharmacist if the Gingko or ANY OTHER SUPPLEMENT would interact badly with any if your prescription medications as that has happened alot to people who dont ask their doctor FIRST bfor trying any supplement or vitamin.

My neurolgist also suggested i take B complex even tho my blood tests wer within acceptable range.  I had tried that BFOR gingseng, and it seemed to giv me a little more energy too. Again, ask ur doctor/pharmacist bfor starting any vitamin!

I think what has helped me the most in dealing with Early Onset Dementia diagnosis, was talking to a counselor who specializes in working with people with dememtia. He has helped me SO MUCH through his encouraging words as i worked thru my depression and fear of my future symptoms. Ive also been on an antidepressant per my neurologist recommemdation.  Dont know how long i will b in counselling or continuing the antidepressant, but i think i will know if or when i should discontinue either.  From what ive researched about the demenrias, is that they all cause depression bcuz of the chemical changes that occur to our diseased brains.....

And, of course, being involved with a couple different online support groups has helped tremendously! You will find that everyone is so accepting and caring whenever u share. I was hopimg for a support group in my town, but didnt hav one so hav been usimg several online support groups and reading LOTS of things regarding demwntias.  I believe the more informed u can b about my disease, the more better decisions i will make now while i still can!  Im getting all my ducks in a row legally and financially so my loved ones and friends know what i want when i can no longer communicate.

Hope this has helped u a little... 

Acoxe3
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2019 11:43 AM

Thank you so much, Vik.  This is VERY helpful information. I will pass this along to my dad as we work through trying to find something that will help my mom.  

You are so very brave and courageous.  You will be in my thoughts and prayers as you adjust to this in your own life.  Thank you for reaching out and helping me while you are dealing with this yourself.  You are so kind-hearted!

I’m wishing you much peace—

Vik
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2019 9:32 AM

You will find SO MANY kind and loving people thru support groups, online support groups, and on Facebook!  If u do a search in Facebook for dementia, you will find a plethora of information and support! Contact your state's Alz. Orghaniaztion too as they can let u know of any city support groups and confereences and workshop s in ur state!