RSS Feed Print
What do I do
Lidi
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2019 12:31 AM

• Hey everyone I’m new to this and just wanted to see if I could get some help. My name is Lidi and I’m 19 and I live with my grandfather who has Alzheimer’s. I’ve been living with him for about 6 years now along with my grandma and my mom and things are just getting more serious. He’s had some bad days and he’s fallen down several times already and not eating too well, I feel that I need to prepare myself cause we never know what can happen and how fast things can change but then he has great days and I feel as if this disease will go away and I just don’t know how to deal with it all. My papa is my best friend and I’m not ready to lose him but I also hate having to see him struggle more and more everyday 

ruthmendez
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2019 1:18 PM

Hi Lidi. More members will respond and hang in there.  Do you feel he is at a stage where he’s confused with who you are? It is difficult, yes, but much more when you’re not accepting this disease will get worse.  Is your family communicating with his doctors about the progression of your grandfather’s disease?
Jo C.
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2019 4:20 PM

Hello Lidi and a very warm welcome to you.   I am sorry for what is happening and can understand how much you love your dear grandfather and he is blessed to have such a loving grandaughter.  It is thoughtful and kind of you to begin to seek knowledge about Alzheimer's Disease so that you can understand better and to be supportive in whatever way you can.

I would like to suggest two things:

1.  The Alzheimer's Assn. has a Helpline that can be reached at (800) 272-3900.  If you call, please ask to be transferred to a Care Consultant.  There are no fees for this service.  Consultants are highly educated Social Workers who specialize in dementia and family dynamics.  They are good listeners, are very supportive, have much information and can help as we work our way through this experience.   You can call as many times as you wish, that is no problem and it is very good support. 

2.  You have landed on the,"Musings" Forum.  That is fine, but this is not the most well attended of the Forums.  If you go to the grid when you first come onto this site, you will see a Forum called:  "Caregivers Forum."

This is the most well attended of the Forums and you need not be a caregiver to be there; this is where  most of the family members come to communicate and you will get much more input there.

Of course you are welcome to Post on any or as many Forums as you wish; you will be welcome wherever you wish to write and as often as you wish to.  Once you write a Post, just be sure to go back and look every day or so for awhile; sometimes we get more and more input as more people see our writings.

I send warmest thoughts your way and I think you are terrific in how you are reaching out to educate yourself.  We are so glad you have found us.

J.