RSS Feed Print
Musings - new to the board
bobwx
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 2:12 PM

I've visited the board before but was turned off by the Commonly Used Abbreviations list at the right. I love my wife dearly but I don't need to show it with acronyms - after so many years together and so many many trials/tribulations, she knows me and knows that she's the love of my life. I finally decided to join the board - for help with the progressing (mid)stage of the disease..

We're (I didn't say she) in a clinical trial - a big leap for her; a hope for me. I would say we're either on the placebo or the drug is of little/no use. I am watching her decline on a slow but progressive path. This is probably nothing new for you have been here for a long time. It's so devastating for me. All the good times. all the fun, all the memories - it's all gone/done. How can such a bright, intelligent woman spiral down to what I see now? Sometimes I tell myself that the way out is to remember the good times - they were the majority of our life together - but I have to deal now with pulling up pants, getting in a car, clothes to wear. This is not my baby!

Yes it still is but it's not the baby I thought I'd spend my quiet years with. So much to get through and so against "the plan." I wish all of you going through the stages of Alzheimer's only the best - for you and your loved one - and hope that you can all provide some advice and solace as I start the journey. What a terrible disease. 

Bobwx

chrisp1653
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 5:41 PM

I had the same problem when I joined here a few years back. I decided right off that DW, or LO was just not going to cut it. Sure, she is my loved one, and sure, she is my wife, but she has a name ! Interesting how important that is now, as she forgets names of friends and family. Here, of all places, I refer to her by her name. She is always  my Barbara,  or simply Barbara.

I admit, that I do use the POA and PWD abbreviations, but mostly because they are a mouthful.

bobwx
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 9:34 PM

Thanks for the post. Didn't think of it at the time but I should have referred to my wife by name -Diana.I think I'm beginning to know how important names are to me (since she has increasing difficulty remembering them)

I may not be the one to encourage you but I'm glad you let me know your wife's name. I guess it's mostly women who have hyusbands with ALZ. You have to know what all of us are going through, I'm with you.

ruthmendez
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 11:16 PM

I too am not familiar with abbreviations....like, here is where I learned what "IMHO" is.  The first time I saw that, I said, ahhh Cr*p!  Here's another abbreviation I need to search in the internet.  
I'm just not groovy with all these new things people come up with.  

I have an Memoji (it's like an emoji me) on my iPhone, and I created a cuter version of myself....I use that to send vocal texts/images to my family and friends just so I don't have to text and shorthand (why don't I just call?? weird).  

My voice, but with a cute face Memoji.  But some people think it's just creepy.  

I even created Memojis of friends, and send it to them with my voice.  That's even better.  

I think I do a good job making Memojis.

Anyway, welcome on board Bob. And, I know what you mean.  My father is my baby now.