RSS Feed Print
Clinical trials. How do we know which trials are legitimate?
Larrytherunner
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2019 6:25 AM

Clinicaltrials.gov is a great resource for finding information about clinical trials and studies in the US and around the world. New drugs in the US are required to go through FDA trials to get FDA approval. My concern is that many companies are registering clinical trials on this site for herbal medicines, supplements and devices that do not require FDA approval, since they are careful not to directly claim to cure any disease. These trials are often done in house or contracted out and don't have any government oversight. Their clinicaltrials.gov address is often included in their advertisements to assure the reader that their product is safe and effective.

It would be more informative if the clinicaltrials.gov address for each trial contained the words "FDA" or "non-FDA" or "foreign" in the address, and indicated what country it is done in. Many readers look at the web addresses in the advertisements and don't go any further, thinking the trial must be legitimate. Even when they go to the clinicaltrials.gov website, it isn't clear to some readers that many clinical trials don't have government oversight by any agency in any country.

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2019 3:01 PM

Here in Canada, I can't see if there is a clinical trial for an advertised product.

It will look like there's something, then my browser realizes I am North of the 49th Parallel and _______nothing. Shuts it down.

I don't know Larry,

Clinical trials is pretty clear to me. But I was really lost at first and it took me a while to understand how it works.

Its a clinical trial, its just testing, really good testing, but they don't promise it's going to work, because they haven't done the trial yet.

You have to read it, and look at who is running the trial.

And when the results are posted you read the study's list of Conflicting interests.

All the Alzheimer's Association's pages that I have seen which list trials, only list the ones they are involved with, that they believe in. They're cherry picking old, already-proven trials.

And on the webpage it says that they are posting what's new and in the pipeline for Alzheimers- that's not true!

What about the people that only visit the Association sites, where the real new and progressive trials aren't listed  - or even hinted at.

What about the associations misleading people into NOT having hope?

And isn't FDA approval something you apply for, after you've proven the results in a clinical trial? No?