RSS Feed Print
New clinical report resource on drugs, drugs in development and supplements by Alzheimer's Drug Discovery Foundation
LDDaughter
Posted: Wednesday, February 5, 2020 7:54 PM

You all may find this quite interesting.  It's a large resource put together by the Alzheimer's Drug Discovery Foundation.  Hundreds of drugs and even some non drug treatments listed here. 

https://www.alzdiscovery.org/cognitive-vitality/researchers

Lane Simonian
Posted: Thursday, February 6, 2020 12:13 PM

Thanks for posting this, LDDaughter.  A few days ago, I was trying to find an updated list of treatments for Alzheimer's disease, but was not having any success.  Now I have something relatively comprehensive to work off of.  I am going to look at the treatments that I am not familiar with, and see if I can find some additional clues or some additional promising candidates for Alzheimer's disease.
Lane Simonian
Posted: Thursday, February 6, 2020 6:17 PM

I see now why I haven't heard of many of these treatments: they have never been tried for Alzheimer's disease, there have only been preclinical studies, there have only been mouse studies, or they have very serious side effects.

I noticed that in many cases the natural products performed better than the drugs.  I also found interesting their brief but usually accurate assessements of various treatments that we have discussed here (oops, cannot copy and paste results but you can go to the site and read them).

LDDaughter
Posted: Thursday, February 6, 2020 8:27 PM

Lane Simonian wrote:

I see now why I haven't heard of many of these treatments: they have never been tried for Alzheimer's disease, there have only been preclinical studies, there have only been mouse studies, or they have very serious side effects.

I noticed that in many cases the natural products performed better than the drugs.  I also found interesting their brief but usually accurate assessements of various treatments that we have discussed here (oops, cannot copy and paste results but you can go to the site and read them).

Thanks for your feedback. I will have to drill down into this document more. I thought I saw Bryostatin there? but maybe that's in the serious side effects category? I also noticed they didn't have BAN2401 on there, which is phase 3 right now. ( A friend's husband is in the trial). 

Lane Simonian
Posted: Friday, February 7, 2020 9:48 AM

I don't think Neurotrope was there, and you are right BAN2401 definitely was not there.  They left out aromatherapy.  They included one Asian herb forumlation but they left out several others.  They also left out the drug derived from brown seaweed (GV-971).  They did not include several broad dietary approaches to Alzheimer's disease such as the Mediterranean diet.

All in all a fairly good list, but they included things on the list that have almost no current evidence to support their use and overlooked other things that have considerable evidence to support their use.

LDDaughter
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2020 7:57 PM

At least they are trying to keep track. Is anyone else doing this? There is clinicaltrials.gov for current stuff, but beyond that I don't know.
Lane Simonian
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2020 11:44 PM

Most of the annual reports are for drugs in development for Alzheimer's disease.  Little or no mention is made for the use of natural products or non-pharmacological approaches, so this review was certainly an improvement in this regard.
RWOODS
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2020 9:25 AM

Unfortunately I could not find the url.
Lane Simonian
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2020 9:34 AM

Hopefully this works:

https://www.alzdiscovery.org/cognitive-vitality/researchers