RSS Feed Print
Possible viral pneumonia treatment
Larrytherunner
Posted: Saturday, February 29, 2020 7:03 AM

As you may know, I have been successfully treating my age related dementia with montelukast for the past four years. A few years ago, I ran across an article about using montelukast (Singulair) and another leukotriene blocking drug zafirlukast (Accolate) to treat and prevent viral pneumonia resulting from flu infections. After reading the article back then, I sent an email to Dr Braciale and he responded to me that the university had put in a request for a federal government sponsored clinical trial for these generic drugs for the treatment of viral pneumonia. So far it has not been approved. Generally drug companies are not interested in doing FDA clinical trials for generics so it is important for the government to do its part.

I emailed Dr Braciale last week and he responded that he will attend a meeting of medical experts soon and make the case for using these drugs for the coronavirus. I myself would think that montelukast would be the better choice of the two leukotriene blocking drugs because it has a better safety record. 

When patients are infected with viral respiratory diseases like the flu, MERS, SARS, and the Covid-19 (coronavirus), they can develop viral pneumonia. When this happens, these diseases become much more deadly. It would seem that the CDC and the FDA would investigate every possible treatment, especially in this age of possible future pandemics. Montelukast should not be excluded because it is a generic and only costs about 15 dollars for a box of 30 tablets. I know that if a big drug company had a patent for a drug to effectively treat viral pneumonia, it would be rapidly trialed, and if it was approved by the FDA, patients would be charged thousands or tens of thousands of dollars for this treatment.

https://news.virginia.edu/content/asthma-drugs-could-prevent-deadly-form-pneumonia-research-suggests