RSS Feed Print
Hydroxypropyl-Beta-cyclodextrin for the treament of Alzheimer's disease
Lane Simonian
Posted: Friday, February 5, 2021 7:29 PM

Reading this week about the new generation of drugs being studied for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease, I ran across this one.

Cyclo Therapeutics Reports on Eighteen Month Expanded Access Program in Single Alzheimer’s Patient

Favorable risk/benefit analysis outlined in report to FDA

After 18 months, the patient showed neurologic and cognitive stability: this is a positive outcome given that persons with Alzheimer’s Disease dementia are generally expected to decline during an 18-month timeframe. Speech fluency also improved as documented by the treating physician’s report of a decrease in latency to word-finding. In addition, mood and behavioral features of the disease improved, such as less agitation, as noted by the patient, the patient’s family and the treating physician.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200617005193/en/Cyclo-Therapeutics-Reports-on-Eighteen-Month-Expanded-Access-Program-in-Single-Alzheimer%E2%80%99s-Patient

This is of course just one person.  There is no guarantee that others would benefit similarly from the drug (one major drawback is that it has to be given intravenously).

The thing about this drug that makes me like it chances of ultimate success is the mechanism of action which is exactly the one that I have doggedly advocated for years.

In Vitro and In Vivo Evaluation of Hydrophilic C60(OH)10/2-Hydroxypropyl-β-cyclodextrin Nanoparticles as an Antioxidant

The objective of this study was to assess the antioxidant ability of C60(OH)10/2-hydroxypropyl-β-cyclodextrin (HP-β-CD) nanoparticles, by comparing their scavenging ability for reactive nitrogen species, their cytoprotective effects under conditions of oxidative stress, and their therapeutic effects against diseases that are induced by oxidative stress. The C60(OH)10/HP-β-CD nanoparticles had a higher scavenging activity against nitric acid and peroxynitrite (ONOO(-)) than the other antioxidants such as ascorbic acid, trolox, and edaravone...The results indicate that C60(OH)10/HP-β-CD nanoparticles are a promising antioxidant for use in the treatment of diseases caused by oxidative stresses.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27317367/

wolfewoman
Posted: Saturday, February 6, 2021 7:57 PM

Thank you Lane!
Lane Simonian
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2021 10:32 AM

Much appreciated, wolfewoman.
wolfewoman
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2021 3:56 PM

Hi Lane, I really hate to ask you (I've tried to search most of yur previous postings) but besides aromatherapy and Panax Ginseng, what other supplements do you recommend for someone who thinks their brain is failing? Two years I couldn't remember the five or six words that my mothers hospice doctor asked her to repeat. Maybe it was stress or depression or PTSD or perhaps I really am getting this disease (I do have the gene). I'm terrified and trying to be proactive by switching to a vegan diet. By the way, I tried Singular as another poster recommended, but it gave me tinnitus, earaches and hearing loss (it seems to be resolving). 

Anyway, your personal list of supplements and suggestions would be greatly apreciated!

Lane Simonian
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2021 1:48 PM

I wish that I had  a better answer to this question.  I have seen lots of supplements and spices suggested for Alzheimer's disease and memory loss in general over the years, but the follow-up studies never seem to come.  Some of the ones that I have seen suggested are coenzyme Q10, curcumin (they are trying to develop more absorbable forms), ginger, acetyl-l-carnitine, brown algae, bacopa monnieri, ashwagandha, ginkgo biloba, acetyl-l-carnosine, true cinnamon, and lemon balm. 

Stress, depression, and PTSD can all cause memory loss.

You may be referring to the ApoE4 gene.  This gene increases the risk for Alzheimer's disease, but does not guarantee getting Alzheimer's disease.  A diet high in antioxidants (especially berries) and perhaps some of the items listed above may help to delay or prevent further memory loss.

I have not heard of the connection between Singulair and hearing problems.  I have to look into that more.

As always, I will post whatever looks promising as more sstudies come out.