RSS Feed Print
Korean Red Ginseng/Panax Ginseng
Lxy
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2021 12:19 PM

Does anyone know if ingesting Korean Red Ginseng or Pax Ginseng in powder form has any negative complications with the heart medication Metoprolol and the anti-blood coagulant medicine Apixaban?

And is taking the powder form of these types of ginseng more effective than slicing a piece of ginseng and steeping it in hot water as a tea to drink?

Finally, can somebody suggest specific brands of Korean Red Ginseng or Pax Ginseng to buy in powder form?

Thanks.

Jo C.
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2021 7:09 PM

Hello Lexy; since none of us here are qualified as doctors or pharmacists; it would be a very good idea to contact your local pharmacist and physcian to ask that question.   If one uses Google, one can see that it does have an effect on some blood thinners and can also interact with other meds causing changes re the heart; so really best to consult those professionals who are well educated in fact who can give you accurate information.

Wishing you well,

J.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2021 9:33 AM

I am not sure if we have any doctors or pharmacists in our mix to give additional good advice.  Ginseng is a stimulant and it can have an anti-cogulant effect so it may have negative interactions with heart medications and anti-cogulant medications.  Various studies have suggested that it can have an opposing effect on blood pressure, raising or lowering it (although this may be a matter of how long ginseng is taken with a long-term trend toward lowering blood pressure).  For the majority of people, ginseng use up to six months is considered to be safe, but after that the effects are basically unknown.

My assumption (which may be wrong) is ginseng powder is more concentrated that using the root to make tea.   The following suggests a liquid extract, but I am not certain of the efficacy of a liquid extract over a powder.

https://ginsengreviews.com/gs/phone/ginseng/index.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6o6c8sG37wIVnu7jBx0zOAIkEAAYASAAEgLDdPD_BwE

Here is a more thorough one:

https://barbend.com/best-ginseng-supplements/

Ginseng is probably the best botanical supplement for treating brain fog and Alzheimer's disease.  In one study, Korean red ginseng/panax ginseng led to improvements in cognition after 24 weeks that were sustained for two years.  

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3659550/

Much focus is placed on ginsenosides but there are many other compounds in ginseng that also help with cognition.  The percentage of ginsenosides in a particular product is not the be all and end all.

I hope that you can find a well-trained medical professional that can give you further insights and advice.

Lxy
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2021 12:29 PM

Thanks for the advice, Jo and Lane.

Lane: Do you know of any other type of herbal/plant supplement other than Ginseng that may help with Alzheimer's?  Preferably one that can be ingested in powdered or liquid form rather than pills?

Also, are there any supplements that can be inhaled? 

I know that you have mentioned in the past that there is research being conducted on Turmeric as an aerosolized spray that can be inhaled. But this is not available for purchase as an over-the-counter product, is it?

Lane Simonian
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2021 9:30 AM

Outside of aromatherapy, I am not sure if there is any aerolized form to deliver herbal compounds to the brain.  I have not been able to find any more information on either the progress of aerolized curcumin or on curcumin products that are supposed to increase absorption.

The Oregon Health and Science University was supposed to release the results of a study on feru-guard (ferulic acid in Angelica archangelica and rice bran oil) for Alzheimer's disease earlier this year, but I don't think they have done so yet.  There is a product called ReBuilder that utilizes a combination of herbal and other supplements that seems to produce good results.

https://www.imedpub.com/articles/botanical-mixture-stabilizes-cognitive-function-in-patients-with-mild-and-moderate-alzheimers-disease.php?aid=23217

Beyond that, there are mainly a series of early studies (bacopa monierri and Coenzyme Q10 for instance).  

Drug interactions and possible side effects would have to be checked out with any herbal supplement, but at least a few of them seem to have the potential to stem memory loss.