RSS Feed Print
J&J vaccine
Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2021 2:14 PM

J&J vaccine is being investigated regarding blood clot complications in a small number of recipients.  There is a condition called antiphospholipid syndrome aka Hughes Syndrome, that causes mini clots and spontaneous miscarriages.  It is very rare.  I have this condition.  My hypothesis is that some women with this pre-existing syndrome could be susceptible to complications.  I hope that someone who has contacts with J&J vaccine authorities could pass along my hypothesis.  

Iris L.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2021 9:25 PM

I believe (or hope) medical investigators will try to determine who is most at risk for this very rare side effects from the coronavirus vaccines.  I believe that your hypothesis is quite probable Iris.  I would cast the net more widely, though.  Women and men who have autoimmune conditions of various types may be at risk for clotting problems from the vaccines.  I say vaccines because I don't believe the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines are exempt from this problem.

https://www.health.com/condition/infectious-diseases/coronavirus/rare-blood-disorder-covid-vaccine-thrombocytopenia

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2021 4:43 PM

Good to know.  Apparently the Pfizer vaccine had similar complications in Europe.  I already have had two doses of the Moderna vaccine without complications.  I have a history of low platelets but I have not been back to the lab since these restrictions began to check my blood.  But I know I have not seen any unusual bruising or bleeding.  

Iris

Lane Simonian
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2021 10:11 AM

I am glad that you have not experienced any bruising, Iris.  

The similar problems with clotting in Europe have been tied mainly (or wholly) to the AztraZeneca vaccine so far.  I am curious to see if the adenovirus vaccines (Johnson & Johnson and AztraZeneca) produce these rare problems at a higher rate than the mRNA vaccines (Moderna and Pfizer).

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2021 5:06 PM

Thanks for the correction.  There are so many, I am getting the vaccines confused.

Iris

Lane Simonian
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2021 10:45 PM

It is difficult to keep track of all these different vaccines.