RSS Feed Print
Has anyone experienced Cassava Sciences’ Simufilam?
Yzfly
Posted: Wednesday, August 4, 2021 2:05 AM

My mom suffers AD, with a MMSE score of 25, terrible memory, but still ok in everything else.

Last week, i attended in the AAIC Alzheimer’s association international conference virtually to seek help and learn the latest development in the world, found that Cassava sciences showed cognition improvement after 9 month open label test. I am curious to see if anyone here has experience with it, my mom is generally healthy, if it is a good experience, I would like to tell my mom to participate this trial.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Thursday, August 5, 2021 11:37 AM

I believe Cassava Sciences is still seeking recruits for their trials.

https://alzheimersnewstoday.com/2021/03/03/cassava-pivotal-phase-3-trials-simufilam-mild-moderate-alzheimers/

In an open label trial, most people on simufilam improved in terms of cognition with an average improvement of 3 points at nine months as measured by ADAS-cog scores.  A few critics say the results are not particularly earth shattering since it was an open label trial and the average improvement was only 3 points (although this was higher than the 1.6 points at 6 months).  The drug used to only slightly outperform Aricept at 6 months but now is going up whereas Aricept begins to go down after 6 months.  Only the two large placebo controlled trials will determine whether simufilam is an effective treatment for Alzheimer's disease.

Welcome here and best wishes to you and your mother.