RSS Feed Print
Proteins in Flux 10 yrs before Familial AD Begins
Myriam
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 11:49 AM

I've been involved in Dr. Ringman's study:

(Source: Alzheimer Research Forum) - Move over AB and tau. It turns out that dozens of proteins rise and fall in the cerebral spinal fluid (CSF) of familial Alzheimer's disease mutation carriers a decade before onset of the disease, according to a study led by John Ringman, University of California (LA).

Many of the off-kilter proteins are related to inflammation and synapse loss. While some of the proteins have previously been associated with sporadic AD, most are new to the list of potential AD biomarkers. Such molecules could eventually aid in Alzheimer's disease diagnosis, patient stratification, and drug development, wrote the authors.

"This is, to my knowledge, the first unbiased CSF proteomics study on people who carry mutations for familial AD," said Henrik Zetterberg, Sahlgrenska University Hospital (Sweden). "This is exactly what the field needs." Previous studies have looked for CSF protein markers for late-onset AD, but not familial early-onset disease. Testing subjects with autosomal dominant mutations has advantages, because researchers know with certainty that the participants will get the disease, and they know approximately when. That allows scientists to narrow the subject pool and approximate how long before disease onset a certain biomarker surfaces.

"It was completely unknown that this large number of proteins was changed in early familial AD," said Zetterberg. Many of the markers fall within protein networks already suspected to play a role in Alzheimer's, so the type of hits did not come as a complete surprise, he added. "They fit well with the current thinking regarding Alzheimer's pathogenesis."

Go to full story: http://www.alzforum.org

JAB
Posted: Wednesday, February 1, 2012 8:46 PM

You say YOU were in this study, Myriam?  Too neat.  That's one of the more exciting studies I've seen in the diagnostics area.  Thanks for your participation!