RSS Feed Print
JAB - what do you think of Citalopram ?
SteveSanJose
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 4:43 PM

There is a citalopram trail at Stanford. It's for AD ( memory problems )with Anxiety. Is this a a AD cure hope ? I wish I can do this trial but I am doing an other, and can't do both.
Myriam
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 6:39 PM

Steve, I don't think JAB is on these boards anymore, but hope she'll pop in and answer you.
skericheri
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2012 9:16 AM

Steve---If you visit JAB's profile page, I believe that you will find a way to initiate contact and get a direct response to your question.
Tom(ek)
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 3:56 PM

Hi Steve, Citalopram is well known antidepressant drug. Its role is to increase extracellural serotonin level and it is used to treat not only depression but also anxiety, panic disorder, agression, phobias etc.

You can also consider first to try to use serotonin precursor - 5-htp (5-hydroxytryptophan) instead of using citalopram. Medical business is so weird that for example dopamine deficiency and serotonin deficiency are treated in a different way. In case of dopamine (Parkinson's disease) doctors prescribe aminoacid called L-Dopa/levodopa (Sinemet, Parcopa, Atamet, Stalevo, Madopar, Prolopa, etc.) which is dopamine precursor. In case of serotonin doctors prescribe specific chemicals. Main reason is that different companies have got patents for different things. Because of it L-Dopa is treated as a medication and 5-htp is only dietary supplement.

Furthermore, in Pubmed database you can find information about disturbed tryptophan metabolism in case of Alzheimer's disaease. Full path of serotonin/melatonin synthesis is: tryptophan --> 5-htp --> serotonin -->melatonin. In this case 5-htp gives you exaclty what you need to increase serotonin. It may fix serotonin synthesis. Citalopram works only at the end of this path in a specific way. It concentrates extracellural serotonin and can be better when 5-htp metabolism is disturbed..

Remember also that serotonin inhibits dopamine.

jennyb
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2012 9:54 PM

Hi Steve,

Just rolling through and found your question. My mom is not in a Clinical Trial, but is on Citalopram 20mg. That is the only drug she was put on since being diagnosed with Alzheimers Dementia about a year ago. It helped most notibly with quelling her agitation. Her mood doesn't fluctuate as much and she seems less depressed also. It's no cure and has done nothing to slow the progress, but she has no side effects and is quite pleasant. She is in stage 5 going into 6. 

Hope this helps.  JennyB

Lane Simonian
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2012 12:23 AM

It's good to know that Citalopram helps with agitation.  I agree with  

Tom(ek) that 5-hydroxtryptophan may also help in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease.   

http://www.steinorthopedic.com/alzheimers.shtml 

http://www.raysahelian.com/5-hydroxytryptophan.html 

Despite the claims of the first article, there are a number of treatments that may help partially reverse Alzheimer's disease, including herbs such as Bacopa monnieri and Ashwaghanda root and essential oils via aromatherapy (such as rosemary, sage, cinnamon leaf, peppermint, lemon balm, lemon, orange, grapefruit, frankincense, oregano, thyme, clove, and bay laurel).  Much of the damage done to the brain in Alzheimer's disease is at least partially reversible.