RSS Feed Print
Why Mice?
lesa
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2012 8:55 PM

Ok, so here is a simple question. Why are they using mice to study AD and not monkeys. Aren't monkeys much closer to us in DNA make-up? 

Just saying....

wickedglitter
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2012 11:21 AM

you make a good point but I think maybe its because there are plenty of mice you can get in a moment's notice and if one passes away you can just immediately get another. I wouldn't even know where to begin the process to acquire a monkey, it would be much more expensive and I think animal groups like PETA would make a bigger deal of it for that very reason, one could argue monkeys are more aware than mice and if a monkey passes away during research it has more of an impact than "a rat"  You hear about mice dying in lab experiments you're like oh that's sad, but it's something you can deal with for the greater good. I once heard chocolate company Mars was doing experiments about the effect of chocolate on arteries and that they were injecting guinea pigs with different things for the tests and I was outraged ( being that I was a guinea pig owner I thought about my pet and it made it so much more personal to me than just another one of the mice in the testing facilities)
lesa
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2012 2:34 PM

I do love animals too but it would be worth all the monkeys in the world to find the cure.  I don't think testing should be done for cosmetics or junk like that. I think you are right about the cost, but I think it would give us so much more info.
KML
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 5:15 PM

Rodents are used because of the costs involved in using larger mammals for gene alterations and breeding.  There are mouse models that are created to have various conditions.  In Down Syndrome research, there are mice that are bred to have Down Syndrome.  It takes many animals to do research and mice are cost effective.