RSS Feed Print
Bexarotene Off-Label Use
jamesb
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2012 9:04 AM

Just found this,

"Hi All! 

I know you are all anxious for an update. DON'T worry.. I have no intentions of forgetting about you! Presently we are giving my mother 2 pills a day. Each pill as I mentioned above is 75mg. It has been 8 days since we increased her from 1 pill a day to 2 pills a day. Unfortunately myself and my children have been sick and because of my Mother's low immune system I haven't had her at my house this past week, until today. So I have had to rely on my Father's descriptions on how she is doing. 
So this past week there were a few things that made my Father and I a bit hopeful. One morning she made coffee without instruction (my father said the coffee was bad, but she made it), she also made scrambled eggs for herself without instruction. These are not things she does normally. She also called me on the phone- she had to ask my father for my phone # and she actually hung up after only 2 rings but I can't remember the last time she called me- so that peaked my interest. As I said, she is at my house now and about an hour ago I told her I was going out for dinner later on. Then just a few minutes ago she remembered that I had plans to go out tonight. All of these things are giving me some hope. 

At the start of this process I asked her to draw a picture of a clock with the hands at 10 past 11 o'clock (found this test on an AD website). She drew a circle and from the middle of the circle she drew out 12 lines. I guess her brain was telling her that there was 12 of something but she couldn't place the numbers. Last week I had her draw it again. She drew almost the same clock- but this time added something... she actually wrote the words"10 minutes past 11 o'clock" inside the clock. To me it seemed like a bit of an improvement because she completed 2 parts- the circle and the time. Although it was wrong- she remembered a second step. 

Overall though, she is still very confused. 

Next week my Mother will be with me so I will be able to have a better description of her status for you." 
Follow this link...

Lane Simonian
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2012 10:55 AM

This is good news.  Some members of this board are seeing similar results from the use of essential oils.  So I looked up the chemical formulas and structures for eugenol (which is found in several essential oils) and bexarotene and they are similar.  Eugenol's chemical formula is C10H12O2.  Bexarotene's chemical formula is C24H28O2.  Here's some links to their chemical structures: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Eugenol_acsv.svg 

http://www.google.com/search?q=bexarotene+chemical+structure&hl=en&sa=N&rlz=1W1GWYE_en&biw=1440&bih=706&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbs=simg:CAQSEgn1c3Wr7X_1gRCFISrxtQPey6Q&dur=5547 (just put mouse over picture to enlarge; clicking on it for some reason goes to a different chemical structure). 

The key to treating Alzheimer's disease is hydrogen donation: this results in the scavenging of peroxynitrites and the partial reversal of the damage that they do to key enzymes and receptors in the brain.  Almost all the medications currently being used to treat Alzheimer's disease contain methyl groups (CH3) but no OH groups (the one exception is galantamine).  The presence of at least one methyl group and one OH group is what potentially makes bexarotene and eugenol more effective treatments for Alzheimer's disease than the medications currently being prescribed to treat the disease. 

Here are the differences between eugenol and bexarotene: 

Bexarotene contains more methyl groups than eugenol which potentially makes it more effective in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease. 

Bexarotene crosses the blood-brain barrier, but probably not as effectively as eugenol via aromatherapy. 

Bexarotene likely has more side effects than eugenol. 

So it's a mixed bag.  Perhaps, more importantly I think we now know what types of compounds can be used to treat Alzheimer's disease. 

onward
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2012 11:31 AM

Lane, if you happen to see this post...

Do you have any thoughts on how Myriam's thread, Reducing Brain Activity Improves Memory after Cognitive Decline , may fit with your theories?  Any new treatment implications that you can think of?  Please post to that thread if you feel so inclined. 

Still Waters
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 7:23 PM

Thank you for posting this. Your my HERO. I have been WAITING so long to find someone who tried Bex. I am disappointed to read that her mother is still confused. I am going to follow that message board, see if I can get that person to post here.

jamesb
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 11:46 AM

You are welcome

Actually what I'm trying to do is to make as much as possible people be aware of what is happening with Bexarotene.

More people knows about it the better is, we must spread the word....

I have a good feeling about this drug...