RSS Feed Print
Majaunna
ffwife54@yahoo.com
Posted: Wednesday, July 4, 2012 7:41 PM

Has anyone seen the research on majaunna and Alz, It is quite interesting. I will try and find the link and post it but in the meantime I'm looking for some input?
Lane Simonian
Posted: Wednesday, July 4, 2012 8:00 PM

Eloquentsolution1 just posted her postive experiences using marijuana/cannabis to help her mother with Alzheimer's disease on the caregiver forum.  I posted this study there as well.   

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17140265 

I have seen enough studies of aromatic plants having positive effects on Alzheimer's patients in clinical trials, institutional settings, and at home to feel very confident that a number of these plants and their essential oils can be used to effectively treat the disease. 

Lane Simonian
Posted: Wednesday, July 4, 2012 9:09 PM

I never really liked chemistry, but I always loved biology--in fact it was by far my favorite science.  However, a little basic biochemistry is all one really needs to know on how to treat this disease.  Here are the chemical structures for THC in cannabis, thyme (a constuent of several essential oils), and bexarotene--all of which studies indicate can be used to treat Alzheimer's disease--as compared to Aricept and Namenda.  What's missing in most medications used to treat Alzheimer's disease (such as namenda and Aricept) is the hydroxyl group (OH) which makes the difference between slowing the progression of the disease and partially reversing it. 

Aricept 

Namenda 

THC 

Thymol 

Bexarotene 

ffwife54@yahoo.com
Posted: Thursday, July 5, 2012 3:22 PM

I have to say I'm not a biologist or a sciencetist so your wonderful graphs are lost on me.

If someone were to use Marijuanna for this purpose how do you gauge dosage?

ffwife54@yahoo.com
Posted: Thursday, July 5, 2012 3:24 PM

Lane, can you tell me in laymans terms how much of what aromas to use for aroma therapy?
Lane Simonian
Posted: Thursday, July 5, 2012 8:50 PM

I remember giving a talk at a local library on aromatherapy and Alzheimer's disease.  At the end of the talk, a gentleman said I didn't understand a word you said, but I was wondering how accurate are the tests for Alzheimer's disease.  And I couldn't answer his question.  I felt bad. 

Don't worry about the charts.  For those who are interested it is less complicated than it first appears: if a compound contains methyl groups (CH3/H3C--carbon and hydrogen) as do all the current medications used to treat Alzheimer's disease it will slow down the progression of the disease.  If a compound contains methyl groups and at least one hydroxyl group (OH/HO--hydrogen and oxygen) as is the case with some essential oils it will partially reverse the disease. This is because compounds that are hydrogen donors provide the key to treating Alzheimer's disease. 

Here's a partial list of essential oils (more or less in order from most effective to least effective) in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease (fewer studies have been conducted on essential oils and other forms of dementia; one study suggested that it may not be helpful for dementia with Lewy Bodies). 

Clove 

Bay Laurel 

Holy Basil 

Coriander 

Sweet Fennel 

Nutmeg 

Mint 

Thyme 

Rosemary 

Oregano 

Cinnamon Leaf 

Sage 

Other studies indicate that lemon balm, orange, lemon, grapefruit, and frankincense may also be effective in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease. 

The question of how long to give the essential oil and how to give it (direct inhalation from the bottle, inhalation from another surface such as on a handkerchief or pillow case, a diffuser, or a massage oil--diluting with a carrier oil such as almond or coconut oil) are the two great unanswered questions.  We give our mother three or four oils from the above list to smell for a few seconds each day under each nostril.  It is possible to smell too much of an essential oil but where that threshold level is I don't know.  Smelling the oils twice a day should be fine.  If a person is taking anti-anxiety medications or thyroid medications the essential oils may increase anxiety.  The more stimulating essential oils such as those on the list above can increase agitation and blood pressure in a person who has high levels of adrenaline.  There is some indication that the stimulating oils may not be good for someone prone to seizures.  They are not perfectly safe, but in limited or diffuse exposures, they should be safe for most people. 

Best of wishes. 

Sylie
Posted: Thursday, July 5, 2012 9:18 PM

Thank you Lane for that amazing explanation!