RSS Feed Print
National Campaign Cancer VS. Alzheimer's
carib
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:36 PM

Hello,

By profession I have worked as an events coordinator for non-profit organizations.  One of them was the Cancer Foundation run. 

It amazes me how much support and media attention Cancer events get.  Pink is everywhere, when you buy cosmetics, when you buy items at Staples, designer wear and even buying pink toilet paper helps to support their campaign.

Don't get me wrong I am not against this but lately when I go grocery shopping I am being asked to donate at the cashier. 

Question:

1. How come Alzheimer's has not reached this level with so many being affected?

2. What can families of those affected do to change this?

~ Carib

Mimi S.
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2012 9:16 AM

Hi Carib, Believe me, people involved in these boards and the Alzheimer's Association also ask ourselves this question.

Of course, I wonder what the 5 year cure rate for breast cancer is now compared to ten years ago. I would think much improved.

Now ask yourself what the quality of life for a person diagnosed with dementia ten years ago is compared to now.  Some improvement is seen in the meds available and the knowledge we have of how to better care for the patients. Certainly the field of Assisted Living and Dementia Inits has expanded. The field of research is expanding, but we get nowhere near the funds that Cancer gets.

There is a very small improvement in the earlier diagnosis. In my opinion, that should deserve a giant push. We have to get people to the diagnostic clicic when the person or a loved one first detects slippage. 

I stress the individual involved must be proactive. At the beginning of this journey I was a master at substituting alternative words when I knew I couldn't come up with the right word. I could do this in a nanosecond. I was an expert at calling the grandkids honey or sweetheart when their names took a while to come. 

Anyone with creative ideas on how to do this, please send those ideas to the Alzheimer's Association.