RSS Feed Print
Good news for stem cell research and dementia
Mimi S.
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 9:50 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/21/opinion/embryonic-stem-cell-research-gets-a-reprieve.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20130121&_r=0
Be Strong 2
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 10:48 AM

I'm sorry, but as much as I want to see a cure for this, and all diseases, I can not be happy about the killing of babies to further the cause.  It's ironic that this article would come out on the anniversary of Roe vs. Wade, which to this date has accounted for the murders of 54,000,000 American babies.  Maybe the researcher who would have discovered the cure is in that group of people.

Then again, considering that this is a NY Times article, maybe it's not ironic.

Remember, we're all in the same boat; and the darn thing leaks!

Bob  

Lane Simonian
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 11:50 AM

I must respectfully disagree.  I know that many on the other side of the debate disagree, but many of those embryos are never going to become human life whether they are used for stem cell research or not.  If stem cells can alleviate the suffering of millions of people, I am all for that research.   

Having said that the hippocampus is one of the few parts of the brain where neurons can regenerate on their own.  This regeneration is blocked in Alzheimer's disease, but the potential exists to unblock it (with eugenol in various essential oils, for instance).   

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/ben/cbc/2006/00000002/00000001/art00005  

Alzheimer's disease may be one of a small handful of diseases in which even if successful, the use of stem cells may not be needed. 

Myriam
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 7:00 PM

Thank you, Lane, for your thoughtful response. I could not have said it better.
poppa
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 8:26 PM

As far as embryonic stem cells, there have been several cases where tumors have developed after embryonic stem cells.  Very high risk.

Almost 2 years ago, I took my wife to the Dominican Republic for stem cells for Dementia which seemed to be progressive.  I chose DR because they will not use embryonic stem cells and use only adult stem cells from the actual recepient.  It stopped progression of the dementia and she showed great improvement.  In the last 3 months she is regressing again.   I just set it up to take her to DR for stem cell once a year.  for the next 5 years.  I have also seen results from others with AD that have really impressed me.  The other thing that impressed me is that the Christian and Catholic faiths have approved stem cell from the Re-Center.in the Dominican republic.    Their website is http://www.regen-center.com/

I should add that I will also be getting stem annually for the next 5 years for prevention of alzheimers which has shown very positive in recent studies.  If you go to the website you can read about the studies that have been completed.

We have lost some family members in the last 3 yrs. to AD.   I have investigated many areas of AD and find stem cell to be the most promiising of all.

BobH

Myriam
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 3:26 AM

Wow BobH, maybe I'll fly to the D.R. to try the stem cell treatment. I was born in Puerto Rico, which is right next door to the D.R. Have wanted to go back to P.R. for sometime.
arbednelra
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2014 9:57 AM

This is interesting - my son of 28 had a torn miniscus- and they were going to remove it!  I said - 'no way'- and we looked into SC because I have used it with my horses with great success in healing tendons and fractures.  

I was wondering why this could not be used in AD...

When you took your wife- what 'stage' was she in?  Had they done a PET scan and did she show the plagues?  

Did it make her mood better? Can she drive now?  

How long after did it take effect?  

Last- what was the cost? (if you don't mind me asking)