RSS Feed Print
New Drug Reverses Memory Deficits and Slows Alzheimer's in Mice
Myriam
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 3:55 PM

(Source: Science Daily) - A drug developed by scientists known as J147 reverses memory deficits and slows Alzheimer's disease in aged mice following short-term treatment. The findings may pave the way to a new treatment for Alzheimer's disease in humans.

"J147 is an exciting new compound because it really has strong potential to be an Alzheimer's disease therapeutic by slowing disease progression and reversing memory deficits following short-term treatment," says Marguerite Prior.

To test the efficacy of J147 in a much more rigorous preclinical Alzheimer's model, the team treated mice using a therapeutic strategy that they say more accurately reflects the human symptomatic stage of Alzheimer's. Administered in the food of 20-month-old genetically engineered mice, at a stage when Alzheimer's pathology is advanced, J147 rescued severe memory loss, reduced soluble levels of amyloid, and increased neurotrophic factors essential for memory, after only three months of treatment.

In a different experiment, they tested J147 directly against Aricept, the most widely prescribed Alzheimer's drug, and found that it performed as well or better in several memory tests.

Go to full story:
http://www.sciencedaily.com
Mimi S.
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 6:53 PM

It sounds wonderful.

Please be aware that there is a huge step between mice and men.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 6:55 PM

More on J147 from the Alzheimer's Reading Room: 

The compound, derived from the curry spice component curcumin, has low toxicity and actually reverses damage in neurons associated with Alzheimer’s.

J147’s ability to reverse cellular damage and low toxicity puts it in a different class from all other Alzheimer drugs. The ability to repair neuronal damage may make J147 useful in treating other neurodegenerative diseases.

Administered in the food of 20-month-old genetically engineered mice, at a stage when Alzheimer's pathology is advanced, J147 rescued severe memory loss, reduced soluble levels of amyloid, and increased neurotrophic factors essential for memory, after only three months of treatment.

The researchers found that while both drugs (J147 and Aricept) improved short-term memory, only J147 improved spatial memory. They also found combining the drugs worked better than either alone.

• The Salk researchers say that J147, with its memory enhancing and neuroprotective properties, along with its safety and availability as an oral medication, would make an "ideal candidate" for Alzheimer's disease clinical trials. They are currently seeking funding for such a trial.

• http://www.alzheimersreadingroom.com/2013/05/salk-scientists-develop-drug-that-slows.html#more 

I am not sure how this synthetic version of curcumin differs from the one being tested in the clinical trial in UCLA.  In any case, it is one more piece of evidence that compounds derived from certain plants (particularly spices and essential oils) can be used to treat Alzheimer's disease. 

Lane Simonian
    Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:50 PM

I am curious to see if I can post this.  I tried before, but it was deleted because the thinking was that it is not a FDA approved trial (although this update seems to indicate that it is). 

http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT01383161 

The success of this trial may very well hinge on how much of this version of curcumin (Longvida) gets into the brain.  It works on mice and if enough of it gets into the brain it should work on humans. 

Geo
    Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 10:17 PM

I don't know if Longvida is the same as Theracurmin which is being used in this trial.

It says the completion date won't be until 2017. Until then here's a description of how Theracurmin is manufactured.

http://db.wdc-jp.com/cgi-bin/psj/data/bpb/pdf/201105/b05_0660.pdf

Geo
    Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 1:16 PM

Here is phase I clinical trial results on Theracurmin. It's for cancer not Alzheimer's but some of the key findings are applicable including improvement of Quality Of Life (QOL) scores.

http://eon.businesswire.com/news/eon/20130509006213/en/Theravalues/Theracurmin/curcumin

Lane Simonian
    Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 1:30 PM

This is promising news regarding Theracurmin and pancreatic cancer and very well may bode well for its treatment of Alzheimer's disease. 

I am glad you found a way to do the "hot" links.  My computer keeps stalling on opening the link describing how Theracurmin is manufactured, but I will be reading it eventually.  Thanks, Geo! 

Geo
    Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 1:30 PM

Here's a lot more about  J147 in Myriam's original topic:

Geo
    Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 1:31 PM

Thanks Lane. I think admin must be able to enable/disable posters linking rights.
    Lane Simonian
    Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 2:13 PM

Excellent article on J147.  Thanks for posting it, Geo (between browsers, operating systems, and possibly administration's actions it is hard to always post easily usable links).  

I do believe, too, that certain forms of curcumin have lasting power and may very well lead to an effective treatment for Alzheimer's disease.