RSS Feed Print
Coconut Oil
Cindy322
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2013 3:24 PM

I'm sure I will probably be laughed off of this message board...and I'm equally sure that probably most of you have either heard this...or tried it...but a friend just sent me an article about AD and Coconut Oil published by Dr. Mary Newport - in 2008.  She says that her husband age 57 (my husband is 61) had AD and that she did a lot of research and found a study by Dr. Richard L. Veech of the NIH titled "Ketone Bodies, Potential Therapeutic Uses".  Long story short...she gave her husband 2 tblspns of coconut oil - 2x's per day...and nearly all of his symptoms reversed. 

I've also heard that "cannabis" (pot) is a cure??

So...I've always said that I would try "anything" that would help my husband...to try and stop this decline...so I'm seriously wondering if either of things have been tried and used/worked...or if it's crazy to even think something so simple could actually work wonders as described??

Thanks very much for any comments!

Cindy

Lane Simonian
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2013 5:29 PM

I will not be one of those laughing you off these message boards.  I don't recommend coconut oil and marijuana only because there may be more effective alternatives.

First links for coconut oil and marijuana: 

Coconut oil in the diet can cause stomach upset (using it as a massage oil is a way around this) and may not be effective for those with certain genetic risk factors for Alzheimer's disease (such as those with the APOE4 gene).  The potential danger presented by saturated fats in coconut oil is probably overstated, but one should probably reduce the consumption of other saturated fats just to be safe.  Coconut oil is processed into ketones which provide an alternative energy source for the brain and acts as an antioxidant.

The main drawback for marijuana is it's hallucinogenic properties.  The non-hallucinogenic compounds in marijuana might serve as an alternative. 

Methoxyphenols (curcumin, ferulic acid, sinapic acid, vanillin, and eugenol, for instance) inhibit both the formation of the toxic oxidant that is largely to blame for Alzheimer's disease and reverses part of its damage.  Coconut oil contains ferulic acid which lessens behavioral problems in Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia and helps somewhat with cognition (if it entered the brain better it would help a great deal with cognition).  Here are human clinical trials using plants or plant products containing these compounds. 

Eugenol in rosemary essential oil 

Eugenol and ferulic acid in lemon balm essential oil 

Ferulic acid, syringic acid, and vanillic acid in heat-processed ginseng 

Ferulic acid in Angelica archangelica 

The compounds in plants and plant products provide the key to treating Alzheimer's disease. 

Vita99
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:10 AM

Hi.  I take the alternative treatments very seriously. There is good evidence that coconut oil has properties which help with neurological disorders.  Axona, a product made from coconut oil is prescribed by some physicians  and some insurance companies cover it as a treatment for AD.  I will try coconut oil pills for my mom as she will not eat coconut.  I do cook with it but I want to see if upping her intake will make a difference.

I dont know about the marijuana .