RSS Feed Print
any opinions on tumeric? alkaline diet?
galfromiowa
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 12:29 PM

I'm wondering if I should add this(along with aromatherapy) to my war arsenal? Any opinions? Also, the health food store had diet info on decreasing the body's acidity and increasing the alkaline  which is less hospitable to disease. Anyone have experience with this?
Lane Simonian
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 1:12 PM

I have heard that an alkaline diet is better for a person, but don't really understand why.  Hopefully, someone will have more information on this.

Turmeric contains curcumin which is fairly similar to the eugenol in various essential oils.  It is suspected that the life-long consumption of turmeric along with other spices is what accounts for the low levels of Alzheimer's disease in India.  Here is a small study of turmeric for Alzheimer's disease in Japan.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3665200/

There are several ongoing studies of curcumin derivatives that are supposed to enter the bloodstream better.  No results yet.

Ferulic acid is another compound similar to eugenol and curcumin that has also shown some effectiveness against Alzheimer's disease.  There are several different supplements containing ferulic acid; the people at the health food store may be able to recommend the best one.

Vita99
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 5:26 AM

I have taken curcumin myself to possibly alleviate inflammation which for me manifests as rosacea  and a bit of joint pain sometimes.  I did not notice any difference on the rosacea.  I plan on trying it again when the joint pain flares.  You have to add a bit of black pepper to your diet to increase the absorption. 

I plan on a home trial with 1 mg of melatonin next for both mom and myself.   Seems to me that as long as there is no harm these easily available treatments are great to try and help ourselves in preventing the disease and may help our LO.

Myriam
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 1:21 PM

An alkaline diet is part of best practices, which is heavy on fruits and vegetables with little or no meats. If a person follows a Mediterranean diet, it is high in alkaline and low in acidity.  

Here is a site with alkaline recipies: 

https://www.pinterest.com/kimberlyteaches/food-alkaline-recipes/ 

Lane Simonian
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 1:45 PM

Thanks very much for the helpful information and link, Myriam.  And thank you, Vita, for noting how black pepper adds to the absorption of curcumin. 

I have been thinking too for those people who suffer stomach problems from coconut oil or who cannot sniff the essential oils, diluting the essential oils in coconut oil (as a carrier oil) as a massage oil might be worth a try.