RSS Feed Print
Mild Cognitive Impairment Alz vaccine trial
celiathepoet
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 2:20 PM

Mom has an offer to participate in a clinical trial for an Alzheimer's vaccine. The big benefit to us would be getting a PET scan, which insurance won't approve so far. We don't have much of a diagnosis for mom past Mild (probably now Moderate) Cognitive Impairment, and her MMSE has been fairly high and steady for a few years now. I'd like to know what we're dealing with.But...

I work full time and there's no one else to take her for the many appointments this would involve (6 appts in the first month, then one appt per month after) and she gets very impatient waiting in waiting rooms and often doesn't really understand why we're there.

I'm inclined to say it is not worth it, but am interested in other opinions. Thoughts?

jackalar
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 8:18 AM

I agree Celia, it's not worth it.  It sounds unnecessarily stressful for both you and your mom.
Myriam
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 4:16 PM

Celia, have you investigated getting on the vaccine trial, or are they only accepting persons whom have been diagnosed...although that doesn't make sense to me. Isn't the vaccine to prevent dementia?
Serenoa
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 9:19 PM

Vaccines are one of the best options being tested now. They have been in development for Alz for over 10 to 15 years now. In 2004 they had some success with one but also had side effects and stopped the trial. Probably much safer now.

I was able to have a home care provider take my mother to appointments and she did fine. Sometimes they are more accomodating around non-family members when doing these doctor visits. Good luck.