RSS Feed Print
Clinical Trial for Children of AZ patients
bee70
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2014 6:40 AM

I'm new to this board but have been posting for a while on the caregiver forum.     Yesterday I took my mom to see a gero-neurologist at the Cleveland Clinic who confirmed her AZ diagnosis, staged her, etc....     He recommended that she has a blood test to check for the genetic marker for AZ.    If she carries the marker, it qualifies me to participate in a clinical drug trial for a drug that is showing some promise in warding off the formation of the plaques.      I'm having a hard time finding information and am wondering if anyone here has heard of this trial or is participating?    The closest I could find was a trial at the Cleveland Clinic called "Tomorrow" that is looking at a type II diabetes medication but that isn't it as the doctor said the study is looking to recruit 28,000 participants and "Tomorrow" only has a couple of thousands.    It's possible that this is the next step in that trial but I don't know any information unless I qualify.
Lane Simonian
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2014 1:35 PM

bee70, welcome to this particular forum. You may be thinking of the A4 study. Here is a link (unfortunately, I can no longer make live links). 

http://www.northwestern.edu/newscenter/stories/2014/06/trial-to-test-new-drug-that-may-slow-alzheimers-memory-loss.html 

bee70
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2014 2:06 PM

I don't think this is it Lane but thank you anyway!   This study is being done at the Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland and enrolling children of Alzheimer's patients in their 40s.     I think it's a follow up study to "Tomorrow".
Myriam
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2014 11:12 PM

Here's an article about it. The study is taking place in South Florida. 

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2014-05-04/health/fl-alzheimers-drug-cleveland-trial-20140502_1_actos-alzheimer-diabetes-drug 

Lane Simonian
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2014 1:23 AM

The Cleveland Clinic through the Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health in Las Vegas is also involved in the A4 study (which is a very large study), but I am not sure either if this is the study that you are looking for Bee.