RSS Feed Print
are microbes eating your brain?
alz+
Posted: Sunday, August 9, 2015 6:33 PM

My feeling was a shrinking brain is starving or being eaten. Found this article today on a bacteria model.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/08/08/are-microbes-stealing-your-mind.html

"Lynch explained, the conventional approach to vanquishing Alzheimer’s disease centers on the buildup of amyloid beta peptides and other structures that cause inflammation in the brain...

"...So we set out to do a number of experiments to prove to ourselves, and the rest of the community, that this was indeed a credible theory and that we could develop treatments targeting it. ... So far we’ve looked at 43 Alzheimer’s patients, and every single one of them has this bacterial protease [enzymes that breaks down proteins] in their brain.

"Casey Lynch, the co-founder and CEO of Cortexyme, said in a recent Arc talk in San Francisco that a similar story might be played out with bacteria and Alzheimer’s with Steve Dominy’s discovery. (Click here to watch Casey Lynch’s Arc Fusion Talk delivered in San Francisco, courtesy of Arc Programs.) "

maybe Chaga will kill the bad bugs

Lane Simonian
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2015 12:04 AM

Yes, so much money spent on anti-amyloid strategies and so little to show for it. In response to bacteria and viruses, the body produces peroxynitrites to try to kill the bacteria and viruses, but often peroxynitrites also kill brain cells. Certain chronic bacterial and viral infections are among the many causes of Alzheimer's disease.
alz+
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2015 12:28 PM

Yes, so much money spent on anti-amyloid strategies and so little to show for it. In response to bacteria and viruses, the body produces peroxynitrites to try to kill the bacteria and viruses, but often peroxynitrites also kill brain cells. Certain chronic bacterial and viral infections are among the many causes of Alzheimer's disease.

today when I post the person post above shows up.

Just want to say Lane how much I appreciate you staying on these boards and helping us understand science things.

I have used aroma therapy - esp lavender and yet I forget about it.

Hives may seem pretty small deal compared to cancer or dementia, but to be reminded by you of WITCH HAZEL has stopped something that has been going on for YEARS. Because I believed hives were internal I never tried disinfecting my skin.

Now the researchers focus on parsing Lewy Body cells, and making categories of dementia but a billion dollars and nothing?

Lyme disease - remember a documentary about a woman reduced to a skeleton in horrific pain and finally got treated for Lyme's and made 95% recovery.

It involved IV antibiotics for quite a while and maybe that has improved too.

For now I am putting my treatment in Chaga, my dog's company, super hydration, sleep by any means possible, and the best mattress possible.

Thank you Lane for not dismissing my concerns and being above the occasional disparaging remarks.

love you.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2015 1:02 PM

Oh my goodness, thank you so much, alz+. I appreciate and learn from all your posts.

I must say my interest in so-called alternative medicine came relatively late in life. My grandfather--who was an Armenian immigrant worked as a holistic nurse at Kellogg Sanitarium. He almost always had a natural remedy to treat any of his children who got sick and it usually worked. He died when I was very young (too much cream in his coffee, perhaps, one of his only unhealthy habits) but some of it must have rubbed off on me. And while not everything I try or suggest to others works, some things have worked better than I could have ever expected. And understanding some of the science behind it has allowed me at least to try to make a case to scientists--some of whom respond with disbelief but some of whom have shown a real interest.