RSS Feed Print
Cocoa for Alzheimer's disease
Lane Simonian
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2015 2:47 PM

A cocoa study right on the heels of the resveratrol study.

http://www.examiner.com/article/researchers-recommend-special-cocoa-to-treat-alzheimer-s

The problem with processed cocoa in dark chocolate for Alzheimer's disease is that it losses much of its benefit (as compared to raw cocoa). The same is also true for coffee.

The article begins as follows:

Polyphenols extracted from cocoa and contained in dark chocolate made from cocoa that has a high concentration of polyphenols have been shown to reduce the known brain chemicals and structures that cause Alzheimer’s disease...Previous research conducted by Pasinetti and other scientist around the world has shown that cocoa and chocolate inhibit the generation and promote the clearance of toxic proteins including β-amyloid proteins and abnormal tau aggregates that produce age-related cognitive decline.

The problem here is that amyloid--either oligomers or plaques--do not cause cognitive decline and tau tangles only contribute to cognitive decline once they have been nitrated.

Here is the real reason why raw cocoa may potentially be used to treat Alzheimer's disease:

2003 Apr 11;140-141:125-32.

Defenses against peroxynitrite: selenocompounds and flavonoids.

Abstract

The inflammatory mediator peroxynitrite, when generated in excess, may damage cells by oxidizing and nitrating cellular components. Defense against this reactive species may be at the level of prevention of the formation of peroxynitrite, at the level of interception, or at the level of repair of damage caused by peroxynitrite. Several selenocompounds serve this purpose and include selenoproteins such as glutathione peroxidase (GPx), selenoprotein P and thioredoxin reductase, or low-molecular-weight substances such as ebselen. Further, flavonoids, such as (-)-epicatechin, which occurs in green tea or cocoa as monomer or in the form of oligomers, can contribute to cellular defense against peroxynitrite.

Everything that has been recommended for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease from a Mediterranean diet high in fruits, vegetables, spices, and red wine to an Indian diet high in spices like turmeric, to aromatherapy with essential oils high in eugenol, to panax ginseng, to rice bran oil, to coconut oil, to Anglica archangelica all involve antioxidant polyphenols. So close now to effectively treating this disease that I can almost taste it.

Eden Desjardins
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2015 10:01 AM

Lane.. I was about to second guess the validity of this article until I saw that it was "PRE-PROCESSED" cocoa. I suppose there is potential, we'll have to wait and see.
Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2015 5:20 PM

I eat a square of Hershey's Bliss Dark Chocolate a day. Is this enough?

Iris L.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2015 6:06 PM

I wish it were
The_Sun_Still_Rises
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2015 7:27 PM

Using cocoa powder mixed with ground up dates and just about any nut is a great treat.

There is also a Mexican drink where they use cocoa beans to make a drink like coffee.