RSS Feed Print
New Clinical Trial
bjrj
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2016 5:07 PM

I am involved in a clinical trial with a new drug called Azeliragon. It is in the third phase of testing with 800 people nation wide involved. Having been on the  medicine for almost 6 months and no side effects and my symptoms not advanced much. Is anyone else on the trials?
BillRiggs
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 4:03 PM

My wife's neurologist has invited us to take part in the trial. He gave us the informed consent document. We (my daughter and I) have not decided whether or not we think it would be a good idea. My wife hates to go to the doctor, and is claustrophobic enough that MRI's could be a problem. I'm not sure at this point that she has the patience to go through the interviews, testing etc. involved in the trial.
ffwife54
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 4:44 PM

I have been asked participate but have not yet decided. Have you noticed any improvements in your memory and critical thinking
Larrytherunner
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 6:30 AM

Do you know for sure that you are in a group that is taking the drug. You said you are not having any side effects. Could you be in a placebo group?
bjrj
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 3:42 PM

You do not know if you are taking the drug or not. I accepted this at the start it is part of the testing. I get tested every 3 months, the testing takes about 3 hours along with a physical and blood testing. I firmly believe that if we the people with the diease do not get involved who will?
Serenoa
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2017 5:00 AM

Interesting drug. It may have potential, even though previous study results in humans were unimpressive. I like that they are targeting a cell receptor and not amyloid, at least not directly. Originally developed for diabetic neuropathy, Azeliragon is intended to counteract the adverse effects of sugar in the blood stream (AGE). Sugar is a known contributor to Alzheimer's.
Larrytherunner
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2017 10:38 AM

BJRJ, I agree that we need dedicated people to volunteer for trials so we can find an effective treatment. I think this drug could have some positive effect because it is intended to reduce brain inflammation. Reducing inflammation could be the path to a successful treatment.
miz8kate
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 10:03 PM

Personally, I believe everyone who can should participate in a drug trial.  How else will we find a cure for the disease?  I was turned down for the first trial I tried to get into because I was not yet "bad enough". That was good news! I was accepted into  another trial about four months later which is in the third phase of development. To me, it is a wonderful opportunity for myself and for others.  I and my study partner (my daughter)  go to a larger city about an hour away. The time at the trial location varies by what is being tested that month. The tests are done by professionals  and many blood tests, scans, and other tests have been given to me at no cost! We are each paid a small monthly stipend for coming.  I am still taking my Aricept but also taking a study drug--2 out of 3 chances of getting the drug.  I have had no adverse effects and also have been taking the drug (?) for about three months. 

I want to live to see my grandsons graduate from high school and college and I have full confidence in my drug trial and the people I am working with.  Please, if at all possible get into a drug trial for Alzheimer's . Keep active and love your life. The trials give me HOPE!

miz8kate
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 4:06 PM

Have you looked at the messages in clinical trials? There are so many places to go here that I am not sure where I have posted.......Have been in a clinical trial for about 4 months but the first few months involved a lot of crucial testing  and work with professionals in several fields. I have been on drugs (real or placebo?) now for 2 months. I feel that it is too early to tell if the drug is helping but I am definite that I am not  getting worse!  Every day is a joy and a blessing for me--see my effusive and long-winded posts elsewhere!!

Do not give up! There are cures coming and many people  taking care of themselves because they want to be independent for as long as possible!!  People keep saying to me that I do not seem to have the disease but I think everyone should be tested early so they will find help.

ENJOY LIFE.  Find a trial near you. Send me a message anytime and I will reply and try not to preach--I was a teacher, not a preacher, but I will preach when I have to ! DO NOT GIVE UP or give in to Alzheimer's!!!

blufftongal
Posted: Friday, September 8, 2017 2:22 PM

Hello,

How did you get into the trial? My husband is in early stages, but no one has ever suggested a trial. Should I ask his doctor? 

Lane Simonian
Posted: Friday, September 8, 2017 4:11 PM

One place to start would be to call the Alzheimer's Association's trial match number: 

1-800-272-3900.