RSS Feed Print
Clinical trial for agitation due to Alzheimer's
caringforAD
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 3:24 PM

I just saw an advertisement for TRIAD Study on TV and I immediately thought of my grandfather but I am not sure how he would do being in a trial. Anyone hear of the trial or have experience with it?  They have a website www.triadstudy.com.

Thank you.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 4:06 PM

I have not heard of this drug but I just looked at its mechanism and it seems promising:a sigma-1 agonist (which can sometimes reduce oxidative stress), an inhibitor of the transport of norepinephrine, and a non-competitive inhibitor of NMDA receptors.  All three in theory should help to reduce neuropsychiatric problems in Alzheimer's disease.

The behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia (BPSD) are common serious problems that are a major contributor to caregiver burden. Despite their significance, the underlying neurobiology of these disturbances is still unclear. This review examines the role of norepinephrine (NE) on BPSD, including depression, aggression, agitation and psychosis. A number of lines of evidence suggest that NE dysfunction leading to BPSD may result from increased NE activity and/or hypersensitive adrenoreceptors compensating for loss of NE neurons with progression of Alzheimer’s disease (AD). With greater appreciation of the underlying neurobiology of behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia (BPSD) more effective, rational, targeted pharmacotherapy will hopefully emerge.

N-Methyl-d-aspartate (NMDA) receptors play a variety of physiologic roles and their proper signaling is essential for cellular homeostasis. Any disruption in this pathway, leading to either enhanced or decreased activity, may result in the manifestation of neuropsychiatric pathologies such as schizophrenia, mood disorders, substance induced psychosis, Huntington’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, and neuropsychiatric systemic lupus erythematosus. Here, we explore the notion that the overlap in activity of at least one biochemical pathway, the NMDA receptor pathway, may be the link to understanding the overlap in psychotic symptoms between diseases. This review intends to present a broad overview of those neuropsychiatric disorders for which alternations in NMDA receptor activity is prominent thus suggesting that continued direction of pharmaceutical intervention to this pathway may present a viable option for managing symptoms.

Welcome here and best wishes to you and to your grandfather.

caringforAD
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 3:17 PM

Thank you.
Lane Simonian
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2016 9:39 AM

You are welcome.   I appreciate you bringing this drug to our attention.  I will try to follow the trial results.  I am relatively optimistic that better treatments for Alzheimer's disease will become available in a few years.